Author Topic: The "DONT_TREAD build thread" Redux ADD Edition  (Read 9339 times)

DONT_TREAD

The "DONT_TREAD build thread" Redux ADD Edition
« on: October 12, 2017, 11:52:41 PM »
Alrighty guys and gals, figured I'd post my build progress on here since this site is waaayyyy cooler that others  ;D

PART 1: The Truck
 Here is the star as she sat when I picked her up, bone stock '97 Ls. Tiny tires, running boards, and all!
think for yourself, question authority

BottomFeeder

Re: The "DONT_TREAD build thread" Redux ADD Edition
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 10:03:25 AM »
Yep those are some little tires.  What's your plan with this rig?
1990 LS, 2" Body Lift, 33's, Dual LSD
1995 SR, 1.5 Body Lift, 33's
1999 Winter Package

DONT_TREAD

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 09:22:45 PM »
Yep those are some little tires.  What's your plan with this rig?

I really want to make it a reliable moderate off-roader. What that  means to me is 4.90 gears, LSD in the rear, 33x10.5r15 all terrains, and and roof rack for extra crap. I've been camping with it already and the built in bed works fine for me and my girlfriend for the time being. I will be making a sleeping platform eventually. Some other stuff i want but dont *need* would be a dual battery setup and fridge, and the ADD lift.

DONT_TREAD

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 10:08:17 PM »
PART 2: The bad......
So when I purchased this truck in February I didn't really catch the red flags it was throwing. Like the ticking that went away after it was warm, the clear exhaust leak, the blue smoke, and the shaky steering. I bought a piece  of work, so naturally I went to work
The ticking was my timing belt tensioner flapping around, I did the belt, pulleys, tensioner, crank sprocket/bolt, and harmonic balancer.  I drove it for a few months until the oil burning got so bad it was misfiring
here's some pics from the front end rebuild below

DONT_TREAD

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 10:14:49 PM »

Crumb

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 04:42:44 PM »
 We need to hit some trails dude!

DONT_TREAD

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2017, 10:56:13 PM »
DUDE! I don't where anything is out here so showing me some cool spots would be dope. (not to mention I've met a lot of the crew but you  ;D ) hit me up on facebook when you are free, maybe we can get Shovel and Ernest out there *AHEM*

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2017, 08:30:27 AM »
DUDE! I don't where anything is out here so showing me some cool spots would be dope.

I really want to get back to Devil's Chasm again...   that's a pretty long drive and only the last couple miles get rugged.   Like "You're gonna dent your Subaru for sure... "  kind of rugged but not "Better have lockers" rugged.     Also I haven't been back through there since I reported a death washout to the USFS so they may have graded the whole thing since then. 

We need to figure out how to put five good tires on your rig,  you don't need a ton of traction for dry arizona but these rocks can jump outta nowhere and perforate sidewalls anywhere, any time.     Montana Mountain, for example is an easy road but it has an insatiable hunger for tires. 

DONT_TREAD

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2017, 09:40:07 AM »
Not to sound too dumb, but what's wrong with my tires? Yeah they're small but they're good all terrains. It's going to be a month before I can pull the trigger on a new set. And finding tires in 33x10.5 r15 is a bitch so I think I'm going to have to go the 33x12.5 balloon tire route :'(

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2017, 09:51:54 AM »
Not to sound too dumb, but what's wrong with my tires?

Don't feel bad dude the tread is fine for almost everything in Arizona.    Actual mud tire tread only becomes really useful when you need to mechanically key into jagged rocks for wet creek or rain runs,  or for actual mud.   Neither of those are common enough here in AZ for a mud tire to be a necessity.    I've gone all-terrain,  Toasty's gone all-terrain.   

The thing I see as being potentially problematic about your tires is that I'm 99% sure they're P-rated with pretty much the same carcass and sidewall that a car tire would have.     That's comfortable and quiet which a lot of people want (hey I want those things too) and it's plenty sufficient for surfaces that don't have angry rocks attacking from the side,   but a lot of Arizona's scenic routes feature the angry rocks attacking from the side.       

Sidewall tears tend to be of the variety you could fit your hand into so they can't be plugged on the trail, they're life ending events for tires.     Part of why I've gone to narrower 17" wheels and LT rated tires, just preparing for the kind of terrain I expect to be on.

But you're still welcome to jam out on the trail just keep your sidewalls in mind and never go out without the tools to change a tire... or else you might end up stupid like me having to park diagonally in a ditch and fill the back of your truck with rocks until it lifts a front tire  ;D

DONT_TREAD

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2017, 01:50:44 PM »
PART 3   rebirth
After a 1,300 mile road trip from SoCal to the grand canyon, meteor crater, Flagstaff, Sedona, and finally Jerome my truck began misfirirng on cyl 5, I let it sit for a couple months while I saved up to have the valve stems done by a pro. two days after the stems were finished me and my girlfriend moved out to the promise land (as far as monteros are concerned) Phoenix, AZ.
Once I was out here i made some pretty rad friends and did more work.
The list: 1 A.C. fan (done)
             2 outer tie rods (done)
             3 idle arm (done)
             4 rear brake overhual (not completed)
             5 16" rims and OG BFG A/T KOs (not mounted)
             6 Another trans flush and Reybestos in-line filter install (not completed)
             7 magnet c.b. whip replacement (done)

8 new shocks (done)

how she currently sits

Crumb

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2017, 04:41:07 PM »
 Looks good dude!

DONT_TREAD

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2017, 09:19:42 PM »
new tires and brush guard really make my monty look mean  8) ;D

Crumb

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2017, 09:00:01 AM »
 You get those from Mark? Looks good.

IncorpoRatedX

• Not really the
  • Administrator
  • I'm big in Japan.
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2017, 03:20:02 PM »
Making great progress with this truck! It's shaping up well.