Author Topic: Drive Wild West 2017  (Read 3149 times)

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Stuff page updated regularly!
Drive Wild West 2017
« on: October 14, 2017, 08:40:33 PM »
We went to Utah.

It was cool.

Pics to follow.   And maybe a description.   And a film.

For now just this post.

JohnnyBfromPeoria

• I'm Getting Around To It
  • Global Moderator
  • Get Off My Lawn! Or gravel, or whatever it is!
    • View Profile
Re: Drive Wild West 2017
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 05:17:13 AM »
Diabeetus!

John B.
AZ Crew/East Sider/Former 14th St Crew
95 SR, 2 sets of tires rotting in the sun, 2" BL, stuff cut off, stuff welded on, lights, sound, no action
87 Raider, There's a turbo 2.6 under its hood, really
83 "Dodge" Power Ram 50, a bit lifted, way slow and gets more comments from random people than the other two put together
'95 Montero SR. Pretty much stock, Trail Gear Sliders, ADD skid plates, Stereo by Shovel, Timing maintenance by Pa_Jero

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 03:44:08 PM »
One thing I know for certain is that Utah ain't gonna wheel itself.

I checked the Wikipedia page, called its momma..  all that.     Utah is a lazy bum and refuses to drive one damn foot of its own scenic trails and that means if we want it done we have to do it ourselves. 

Luckily we're equipped for just such a mission so on Sunday,  8 October 2017 the CEO of JBFP Industries arrived at my door promptly between 8 and 9AM,  houses were locked and gifts exchanged,  pedals mashed and Northerly travel achieved. 

JBFP Industries founder and CEO John provided me with a communications device and shortly into our travels he announced that it would be vital to our ongoing happiness on Earth if we stopped at the Chevron station off Carefree Highway and I17 for a fresh supply of explosion juice and to join our friends Pa_Jero and Toasty Montero on our frantic border run.

Dope. 

Juice freshened and party expanded we launched again.      The climb out of the valley always sucks and this was no exception - some bunghole in a slow car refusing to give up the left lane despite not being able to sustain the speed limit... the usual frantic jostling of TESTOSTERBROS in their BRO-DOZERs who think a $199 7" lift kit and low profile mud tires are a license to drive a half ton truck like rally car in dense traffic.       Oh and there was a police SUV going six mph below the limit too just to make absolutely sure none of us could enjoy a casual and rapid ascent. 

At the top we were able to get back to cruise speed and enjoy uneventful travels into Flagstaff.   We hit WalMart on Butler.

WalMart is a point of contention for America, some refuse to shop there,  some don't see what the big deal is.    I get it.  Fuck WalMart and the corporate welfare they represent, right?    But also we needed to get some supplies and they're THERE,  in the most convenient way possible.     I bought a hoodie.   John of JBFP Industries may have purchased a hat.    Instagram photos were posted from the parking lot.    Bumpers were envied.   

We didn't get lunch.

You know why? 

CAMERON!!!  UNF UNF UNF UNF!!!  NAVAJO TACOS ALL UP IN OUR FACES!!! 

If you've never had Navajo tacos from the restaurant at the Cameron Trading Post,  I weep for your soul and I hope you are able to remedy this tragic state of existence at your earliest convenience.      They even have vegetarian ones so you really have no excuse.    Except maybe if you're vegan or have celiac, then just..  you know..   be glad that other people are alive at a time when these tacos may be eaten by them.     We can't all go to space but we can still be proud of the astronauts who do. 

Tacos down, travel onward.

We didn't take the most direct route to camp.     I wanted to make a couple stops. 

First stop I wanted to hit was the Party Rock

but because I'm dangerously stupid I ended up stopping at a different rock.     Which rock?   Beats me, it was a rock.   Not in a house and therefore not a Party Rock.    Kids and Charlie ran around.   Charlie is a dog I think.  I mentioned the dog, right?  JBFP photographed.      Can of green Coca-Cola spilled. 

Good time had by all.

After this refreshing stop, we headed up the hill toward Jacob Lake.    Beautiful drive,  nice curvy roads.    Trees.   All that.

We passed the Disappointment Factory of Northern Arizona and avoided eye contact. 

With that, we forcibly penetrated Utah via Highway US-89A and made for Kanab's finest landmark;  Glazier's Market.   

They sold beers to us.   

From Kanab it's a short drive to the Paria townsite turn-off, which we missed because I misjudged the turn and opted not to make a dangerous high speed swerve.    We passed it and turned around and pretended we were cool.    The road became dark. 

The road became.. WINDY.    Holy balls!!     Everyone behind me was in my dust but I was also in just as much dust!!!   I wanted to just get to camp ASAP so we ignored the old townsite, ignored the graveyard,  headed straight for the end camp.     Wind became brutal.   Wind was carrying immense amounts of sand and dust and anger and vulgarity.   

We were greeted at camp by three other Monteros which had arrived earlier and already hunkered down - two Gen1's captained by Oso and Gianni B and a Gen3 driven by Bugshield & Kim .     

Due to the wind's sheer hostility and rage we considered trying to relocate to another camp,  but fearing an ordeal in that department we opted instead to just hide in our vehicles and pretend it's possible to sleep while folded up into Escherian polytopes.   I picked easy mode, having only myself to fold into while Pa_Jero played this game on DEATH MODE by sharing one Montero with his three daughters.    A truly impressive performance. 

Toasty and I stayed up late,  enjoying the KJBFP Radio remixes of your favorite classic rock hits while drinking cold ones and getting punched in the eyeballs by tiny rocks held aloft by gale force winds.   

We finally allowed the winds to rock us to sleep inside our Monteros and waited for dawn.   

More to come.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 08:14:50 PM by Shovel »

JohnnyBfromPeoria

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 11:38:56 PM »
Just to be clear, I purchased a hat AND a shirt, both instrumental in their function and utility, neither of which have been washed to this date.

Our communication devices are made by Baofeng, which was a common battle cry when rallying the troops. I set up four of them in simplistic fashion, utilizing two MURS frequencies so we could communicate quasi-legally. They work in satisfactory fashion, but would benefit with better antennae. One vehicle seems to have had transient electrical issues that caused a near-constant interference with the radio and a resultant audial annoyance, despite me dialing up the squelch to maximum. For sub-$40 radios, they proved their worth and their toughness, as I'm fairly certain will be mentioned at some point in Mr. Shovel's expert analysis of the unfolding retrospective.

JBFP Enterprises...HA! I wouldn't let me herd my own goats around the oasis! But that's what happens in an organization like mine, with no clear leadership beyond the voices inside my head, half of which are screaming "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

John B.
95 SR, 2 sets of tires rotting in the sun, 2" BL, stuff cut off, stuff welded on, lights, sound, no action
83 "Dodge" Power Ram 50, a bit lifted, way slow and gets more comments from random people than the other two put together
'95 Montero SR. Pretty much stock, Trail Gear Sliders, ADD skid plates, Stereo by Shovel, Timing maintenance by Pa_Jero

IncorpoRatedX

• Not really the
  • Administrator
  • I'm big in Japan.
    • View Profile
    • Adventure Driven Design
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 01:46:50 PM »
You guys could do grocery shopping trip reports and it would still be entertaining. Looking forward to more.

PajEvo

• Administrator
  • "The Canadian"
    • View Profile
    • JDM Journeys
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 05:09:13 PM »
You guys could do grocery shopping trip reports and it would still be entertaining. Looking forward to more.

That is a very accurate assessment of the situation. :) Oh, I'd like an audio clip of the BAOFENG! battle cry when you get a moment pelase?

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 07:06:00 PM »
All that shit up there?    That was day zero it didn't even really happen in the trip canon. 

Day one started like this:

Sandman hit my eyes hard.      I probably had a headache but the first thing to do was brush my teeth and see if anybody died.

I guess nobody died or if they did nobody brought it up and I'm not about to now. 

I had some herb coffee that's supposed to hook up a solid all day donger so I pounded a cup of that for lack of a good reason not to. 

Product review:  no donger.

We rolled out pretty casually South to US 89

20 minutes later turned North onto Cottonwood Canyon Road.     

This is a great quality graded road and a fool with a fast AWD car could make a real mess out here,  I kept it prudent with the speed limit but suggested over the radio that we all give each other some dust free cushion so everyone could enjoy the view.      It's glory out there,  desolate and brown and red.    Nature we should know better than to live in 'cause nobody can live there. 

Not a lot of stopping, a little.   But we have miles to cover today and if I'm giving  this piece of dirt a fair shake it's all beautiful.    What part do you want to stop at, the part that's gonna blow your mind?   Or the part that's gonna make your eyes pop out?   

This was a good place to stop.   Kim asked me what we were stopping for and I had to point vaguely to the stuff we had just driven through - once seen it's not unseen.   Staff Photographer of JBFP Industries, John B memorialized it in some sort of trippy negative effect because he likes to go hard in the paint.

I haven't had my Montero long; picked it up at the end of July sight unseen on Ebay and spent a lot of long nights teaching myself new combinations of dirty words and clicking the Unholy Trinity of places every Montero owner needs to unload their bank accounts:  Adventure Driven Design , Amazon and RockAuto.     Am I confident this truck will get me home?  Yes.   Do I know all its secrets yet? No. 

I smelled burning plastic and so did everyone else and it was my Montero doing it.   Damn I told it not to smoke that stuff!   But I couldn't figure out where it was coming from, even if it was inside or out.   Everything seemed to still work so the only thing to do is keep rolling and hope it's nothing or something catches fire so I know what to fix. 

Next stop was Grosvernor Arch.    This is a big ass arch made of rocks and time, seemed like all the kids loved it and everyone else admired it from afar.     We occupied the whole parking lot and made other non-Montero people park outside.   HRMPH!!

I don't know what all took place in the parking area because I was up climbing around on stuff with all the kids.    Was there a crisis?    Was there talk of a mutiny?     I'll never know.

Back on the road we rolled into Cannonville something like noon and took a quick and beautiful stroll over to Escalante.    Gasoline was probably purchased.   We didn't lollygag too hard because we had a long road ahead of us..   

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2017, 07:59:31 PM »
I'm still getting used to how groups move and trying to stay focused on the idea that we need to make camp at a reasonable hour,  no midnight pitches for us bitches.      We cut out a few things and I got the feeling we had to make some really good time on this road. 

Southbound on Hole In the Rock Road AKA Fiftymile Road the only way to fly is fast, until it's not.   This is a well traveled dirt road and the washboards are ruthless AF!!!   They can't even be reasoned with all you can do is outrun 'em or let them shake your colon into a froth.     

I'm not one for frothy colons so I let those Germans over at Bilstein convince me I'm Ken Block..  yeah I started bookin' it and that worked really well until... 

Did I mention I'm working on a short film of all this?   

Bilsteins are a helluva drug.

Now I can add "And a couple meters in the air" to my Montero's 282k miles on land.    I landed hard enough to turn the left blinker and the windshield washer on. 

Got on the radio and advised slowing down. 

BAOFENG!
Rolled to the next place I could pull over.    Tried to find out what I broke.

Yeah well you know what I broke?   

Almost nothing.   Didn't even mess up the alignment.   These trucks are tough as hell.. all I need to replace is a couple bump stops that split from the impact.       I'm not suggesting anyone jump their Montero, sometimes it doesn't end as well - but I'm still impressed.   

Chief Safety Officer at JBFP Industries, John B wisely suggested I cool my damn jets.     

I let some air out too,  borrowing Ernest's gauge because mine's buried somewhere in the back.   

Back in it,  we rolled on, and on and on and on.    This road can be done in a car but there's a lot of litter out there in the form of plastic splash guards and mirrors and whatever can rattle off or get torn back by the washes and constant flying gravel.      I caught another crack in my windshield.   It wouldn't be the last. 

Before we ever planned Drive Wild West the idea was to hit Hole In the Rock.    I don't know how many things in Utah bear that name but it's a lot.    There are two of these notches down to what is now Lake Powell,  there's a store,  there's a place up near Moab with that name and probably a few others.      Utahn's love their 4% beer and their holes.    I can dig it.

So here,  late in the day and frustrated by the road we finally descended upon The Hole that is In the Rock.   Glory be unto us. 

Yeah those are parking lot photos,  you want to see a hole?

Note to visitors:  if you kick or throw these rocks down into the hole you could kill people hiking down below, and they might be coming up from the lake so you can't be sure it's OK even if yours is the only car in the parking area.   So don't kick or throw the rocks down.

I bet there are cooler pictures of The Hole,  but I didn't take them so.. you know, just.. go there yourself.   Worth it!

A couple people came walking up from the lake a long way down,  saw our trucks and said "Hey Monteros we used to have one of those!!" .  Neat.

The Hole is inside Glen Canyon National Recreation Area where fires are forbidden and Chief Pyrotechnician with JBFP Industries,  John B had made the suggestion that he would like to achieve ignition on this night so we had to travel back up the road 15 miles if we wanted to be back on Escalante National Monument land.    No worries,  I had made note of a spot on our way out & headed for it.     JBFP Industries Communications Director John B informed me about the lifestyle choices that the terrain had made,  and while lost in thought about that topic I saw a small toaster bumbling our way.     

What could it be??!     It got closer and became pretty obvious it was a Delica and it was chock-full of Canadians!!

Camp was where I expected it to be.    Tents were pitched.   

A small man in a bright coat gave me advice on life, fire and adult beverages.   

Charlie the dog showed up again.   I mentioned the dog, right?

We raged gently into the night.    It got pretty cold, but I think this was a good site and about 9000% less sandblasty than the night before. 

Day 2 to follow...

« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 08:06:09 PM by Shovel »

JohnnyBfromPeoria

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2017, 05:24:11 AM »
I took lots of pictures at The-Hole-In-the-Rock but I haven't mastered the in-line posting of pictures on here yet. I only seem to be able to post them as attachments. Since I haven't "Michelin-ported" my pictures over to Shovel, you won't see them here. Suffice to say, it's an impressive place and an amazing story. Without getting into political discussion, there was a reason those people found themselves there and more reasons why they felt compelled to continue their journey down that passage, despite obvious danger and definite risk of death.

While the Delica was described as "packed full of Canadians," there were but two of those inside. Granted, the size of the machine made it nearly impossible to load any more of them inside, so I guess the assessment is accurate.

That was a long day of driving. And KYB Gas-A-Just shocks showed they were "Just-Enough" to handle the road at inflation pressures of 25 psi, which in hindsight, was a major mistake on my part. My Staun tire deflators are set for 15 psi...and there they sat, in my center console, untouched. A lesson was learned.

John B.

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2017, 09:36:35 AM »
The first thing we needed to do on Day 2 is get back to Highway 12 and off this endless washboard.    I figured we would just get packed up, point North and just make it happen without having to think or care too much.

There are some scenic touring stops along the road that we passed the day before and I decided we had time to enjoy them - first a little party at Dance Hall Rock where we could all run around,  stretch our legs a bit,  use the civilized toilet facilities,  whatever else needed to happen.   

Another eternity passed on that bumpy road and we hit Devil's Garden.      I don't know what's up with people naming things but if I came to Earth and somebody said "God made all this,  but the most interesting,  awesome looking parts?   Those are the Devil's!"  I would get the idea that the Devil is a total badass and somebody I want to meet.    The Devil makes rocks like this:

and this:

Tomfoolery has been checked off our list, for now.     Go time.

A few miles from pavement & fuel we encountered... 

The Canadians.

They were parked a few feet off the side of the road in a parking area for a nearby attraction and when they saw our convoy the gentleman Canadian ran toward the main route flailing his arms about to get our attention.    We stopped,  and saw that they were after more than just a "hello!"..   their velocipede had taken damage! 

The radiator tried to eat a stick, it appears.   That was an unwise choice on the part of the radiator but it's a bit late for scolding.    I thought I had some STEELSTIK in my tool kit, to help get them back to town by plugging up the leaky bits.     As it turns out I did not have STEELSTIK just the plastic kind which probably won't work as well on a metal radiator. 

They had managed to sort of pinch off the leaking chords of the radiator with pliers, enough that it was only leaking a little bit.   We supplied them with water to refill the radiator and escorted them to town.   

Originally we had intended to turn Right at Hwy 12 and head for Boulder to eat and refuel but the encounter with the Canadians put us a little bit out of our way.       I headed into Escalante to supply up and accidentally chose the wrong one of two almost identical stores situated on either side of the bank and post office.     I had wanted to get some pinkies-out coffee so I could feel like a Fancy Lad but instead purchased a bowl of vegan corn soup.    Less fancy but still sort of fancy.    And a can of canned canspresso.    It was canny.     

Kim let me borrow her iphone charging cable because I forgot mine,  and the work phone has to stay operational. 

Lunched and fueled all the way up we make a run for the East,  still a lot to do before camp!! 

JohnnyBfromPeoria

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2017, 06:33:55 PM »

He hasn't written about that part yet.

John B.

JohnnyBfromPeoria

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2017, 06:37:07 PM »
The description of "He goes hard in the paint" about me made me laugh all day today. I may be 6'3" and I like to play basketball, but I would get my ass kicked in anything resembling a real game. I'll take on 5 foot grade schoolers in a half court game, though.

John B.

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2017, 07:35:30 PM »
Utah is known for a bunch of stuff like
  and that Tabernacle and Zion and that one smelly lake with all the sodium in it and all the smelly hikers,  the oppressive leisure class who prices working people out of homes..    but the thing about driving Utah's scenic off-the-highway attractions is that we still have to spend a shitload of time on the highway too.     

A vehicle I'm going to drive around the continent has to be good at everything.       Those long miles on dirt kill me if I have to fight the truck for stability when I'm trying to outrun the washboards.    Spending all day on the highway I don't want to be fighting the steering wheel just to go straight and I don't want to be worried that misjudging a corner just a little bit is going to put me in danger,  it's exhausting.     So I spent weeks turning my ebay junk into a reliable, tight,  balanced ride - and I think it paid off here.   Totally happy with how it performed. 

The highway scenery is just nuts! 

After we left Escalante and headed East toward boulder we crossed the Escalante River - that's one of my favorite hikes in the summer,  a person can spend hours wandering upstream and soaking in the beautiful creek - it was a bit cold this time and our group was a bit large to mob on that little parking lot.    It's really a beautiful hike though - all the way recommended.   

Highway 12 was under construction so we were forced to convoy behind a lead truck for a few miles,  there are worse places to be stuck going 15mph   :)

At boulder we turned onto the Burr Trail and headed for THE GULCH!

The Gulch was a nice spot to finally put down some lunch,  let the little guys and gals run around & splash in some water,   tempt fate and not be stuck inside a moving vehicle.    I'm pretty sure everybody had a really good time here. 

OK the sun was still  moving and we need to get to camp NOT at midnight!!      One more important stop before camp, too.    Let's actually get off the pavement and into something that can be called 4x4 territory for a change!!!  gah!!! 

Next stop is the Strike Valley Overlook, which finally necessitated the ample ground clearance, tires and traction we all brought with us!     It's not a super rugged 4wd trail but it's at least tough enough to discourage Honda Elements,  and it was p. rad to let our trucks finally stretch their legs for a change.    The titular overlook is an amazing sight that will be forever denied to Senior Executive Gudgeon with JBFP Industries, John B - whose lollygaggery cost him the opportunity to view a truly awe inspiring vista.       Throwing salt in that wound I should add that all of Ernest's children saw it and could not have cared less about nature's majesty,  only wanting to tempt fate and push the boundaries of their mother's patience. 

Here is a photo that does no justice to the view.   

It's big.

I pointed out to Mr. Toasty and Anthony that our camp is "somewhere down there" although I wasn't really sure myself exactly where.   

On our way back to the highway, members of our party were scolded for driving too fast by people who were illegally camped in a no camping area.     

So we were up here and we needed to get down there,  and there's a cliff.    What can one do about these horrific facts?   

That, pretty much.   Low gear and zig and zag.   It's a unique experience and a good excuse not to bring a trailer.

When we got to the bottom I was asked by the famous documentarian John B of JBFP Industries to lead ahead a bit so he could get a bit of clean air to film with his action camera so I jammed North toward Cedar Mesa Campground,  figuring we'd all get there eventually and find open campsites and sleep and everything would be rad.     

North was driven,  campsite was located a dozen or so miles from our turn.     I checked that sites were available (two, not adjacent) and returned to the road.   Oso and Gianni and the mysterious limousine driver "J. B." , as well as Bugshield & Kim arrived in short order and I ushered them to occupy our two sites and then I returned to the main turn-off to catch the rest of our party when they arrived.     

That didn't happen.    I returned to camp to obtain a bottle of apple juice to enjoy and went back out to the main road... and sat.     From time to time I would reach out with the BATTLE BAOFENG  in hopes to bounce the signal off the ionosphere,  off Kim Jong Un's well-lubricated nipples,  off the moon and back into Pa_Jero's BAOFENG ..   hours later I saw the twinkle of headlights and heard some static on the radio.   

Dudes settled right?     But they were missing one whole vehicle!!!!      I can't take these guys anywhere!!!!

We later learned that three vehicles had turned Right at the fork for some reason,  driven miles toward Bullfrog Marina before intimidating Kia drivers,  losing a valuable BAOFENG INTERCOURSE UNIT and finally turning back to arrive at camp well after dark.    Without Ernest.     

Well then, Now we're adventuring!!!!!!     ;D   ;D  ;D

We figured Ernest and his whole family had been abducted by aliens or something so we divided up into the Noble and Riteous Western Camp Faction and the Unscrupulous, Unshaven and Unsavory East Camp.     

Fires were burned,  cold ones consumed.   Shit was legit.      I busted out my Big Stupid Stove Thing That Doesn't WorkTM and proved to all in attendance that it totally doesn't work.

But ain't it beautiful?

It was the end of another beautiful day in Utah celebrated by Corporate Security Officer John B of JBFP Industries, who demonstrated his mighty codpiece of fury.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 04:54:20 PM by Shovel »

JohnnyBfromPeoria

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2017, 10:27:30 PM »
While the glorification and florification of the various permutations of my addressation can be twisted and turned...that picture is just absurd. But, dammit, it happened. And that red shirt from WalMart still isn't washed.

John B.

PA_JERO

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2017, 10:30:42 PM »
That is a fantastic picture. JBFP is one legit dude.