Author Topic: Drive Wild West 2017  (Read 3660 times)

JohnnyBfromPeoria

• I'm Getting Around To It
  • Global Moderator
  • Get Off My Lawn! Or gravel, or whatever it is!
    • View Profile
Re: Drive Wild West 2017
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2017, 05:14:54 AM »
Shovel, since I am picking up a friend from the airport Saturday evening, I can drop off a memory stick jam-packed with all my exciting footage of the events at your compound before that. Please advise.

And not only am I NOT legit Dude material, I can be downright grumpy. Don't tailgate me, hurry up, slow down, get off my lawn, it's all there. And yet you guys keep inviting me back. I wonder about you all sometimes.

John B.
AZ Crew/East Sider/Former 14th St Crew
95 SR, 2 sets of tires rotting in the sun, 2" BL, stuff cut off, stuff welded on, lights, sound, no action
87 Raider, There's a turbo 2.6 under its hood, really
83 "Dodge" Power Ram 50, a bit lifted, way slow and gets more comments from random people than the other two put together
'95 Montero SR. Pretty much stock, Trail Gear Sliders, ADD skid plates, Stereo by Shovel, Timing maintenance by Pa_Jero

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Stuff page updated regularly!
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2017, 12:59:37 PM »
Day Three started out kind of slackin'  but I think everyone seemed in a good mood.  Those who enjoy cold ones had been able to put back a few such ones,  wake up and break camp.     The ferries across the lake happen every two hours and I figured we had a good chance of meeting the 11AM one if we left before 9AM..  but we didn't.       We had a 50 mile dirt road drive to the marina and while it's a good, well graded road it's no highway.     

Somewhere along that road was Toasty's BAOFENG too!    He had lost it the previous night on his wrong turn errand,  and hoped to find it along the road while we passed back through...

And somehow he did!    And it still worked!

We didn't lollygag much though,  missing the 11AM ferry would have meant trying to catch an afternoon ferry.. and putting another big dent in our original plans. 

Eventually.. finally.. we got to the official entrance to the Glen Canyon National Recreation Area where it would become sort of necessary for us to each purchase tickets to be legal.    There was a robot which sold us each what we needed.   Turns out nobody actually checked or cared and since we were seriously JUST passing through (using the road) and not engaged in any recreation it probably wouldn't have mattered if we didn't.     But, I didn't know and I usually just play things by the rules to avoid hassles.     I bought an annual national parks pass so I can get into whatever national parks I want for a year.   Not a bad value.

Just in time, we rolled up to get aboard the ferry!! 

The adventure cyclist guy somehow could smell that I also roll on 2 wheels and latched on,  eager to share his adventure and eager to learn a bit more about where he could expect to camp.     I had accidentally damaged my map atlas anyway so I tore out some pages for him and advised him where he might have a great ride,  so hopefully he had an awesome rest of his adventure.

When we arrived at the other side of the lake we were greeted by Ernest,  who had taken the early boat and waited around for us!! 

Nearby in the business district of Hall's Crossing we loaded up on fuel and junk food and I tried to reassure the troops that we did in fact have some pretty stuff to see this day and if we kept moving we could get to an exceptionally memorable campsite this very evening.      But since we didn't make the early boat we were already two hours deeper into the day than planned so it would be necessary to make tracks! 

There were still sights to see - we made a quick stop off at Muley Point - without quite driving all the way to the end of it - and those who wished to see Valley of the Gods from a bird's eye view had the opportunity,  and also I may have watered a desert plant that was looking thirsty.      Back on the road, first gear we descended the Moki Dugway which is a stunning piece of civil engineering work,  descending a cliff face in a maze of switchbacks..   see this stuff here?

Road just goes right up to the cliff.     

We needed to refuel, purchase firewood,  get lunch, get sorted & ready for our evening camp so we all angrily shook our fists at the Mexican Hat rock formation (SCREW YOU, HAT!!)  and entered the town of Mexican Hat, UT.   

Chief economist with JBFP Industries J. Butler and myself shared the expense of several bundles of firewood,  and we all made lunch happen in one form or another in the parking lot and/or dining room of River Rat Pizza in Mexican Hat.      Was the food good?   Not really.     But it's a quaint little shop in bumwater town so it can be forgiven.   

The entire staffo of JBFP Industries was eager to reach camp, and I couldn't blame them but we were so close to Valley of the Gods,  I figured we had time to at least haul ass through it.     It's a cool place to hike around and all..     we mostly just hauled ass in order to fit it into the day at all.    Still some driving to do! 

After this little side trip, we took an additional side trip to Goosenecks State Park - it's not really much other than a great spot to see the river doing ziggy zaggy river stuff,  and for small people to verbally assault lizards. 

A bunch of bungholes enhanced this sign with their meaningless contributions.

We squeezed about all there was to squeeze out of that experienced and for the last time today, hit that ol' dirt road! 

This time we were entering the little known slice of mystery known as John's Canyon - in no way related to Senior Refrigeration Manager with JBFP Laboratories, John B. 

The road to John's Canyon follows a shelf half way between the upper plateau of Muley Point and the San Juan River far below.    It has apparently been graded since I last came through, which made travel a lot faster if maybe a little less thrilling from a 4wd perspective.   

Stunning place! 

Eventually we arrived at the namesake canyon - and my former favorite campsite by the gently running creek.      Lucky for us it was occupied by a nice couple who found it first,   so we had to bounce out and explore up-canyon to find an alternate site!       It was a bit of a drive but I think worth it,  we got as far up the canyon as road-legal motor vehicle travel is possible and it was just stunning!     

Beach sand to camp comfortably in our tents,  exceptional amount of tree and rock scenery,  very little in the way of insects..  just perfect.

Unfortunately Ernest & his wife & children had to leave this evening to begin their long trek home - Ernest is a MACHINE though and stayed out late partying with us,  then managed to trek home from this distant location all the way back to the Phoenix metro in time to be at work the next day.    Unreal!! 

The rest of us wound down eventually..  had a great night sleep and readied for the next day.   

« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 08:25:43 PM by Shovel »

JohnnyBfromPeoria

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2017, 07:22:45 PM »
And we all lived happily ever after?

John B.
95 SR, 2 sets of tires rotting in the sun, 2" BL, stuff cut off, stuff welded on, lights, sound, no action
83 "Dodge" Power Ram 50, a bit lifted, way slow and gets more comments from random people than the other two put together
'95 Montero SR. Pretty much stock, Trail Gear Sliders, ADD skid plates, Stereo by Shovel, Timing maintenance by Pa_Jero

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2017, 08:36:53 PM »
And we all lived happily ever after?

John B.

JohnnyBfromPeoria

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2017, 10:11:38 PM »
'Tis a shame this has not been fleshed out to the conclusion. I was waiting to see if all lived...

John B.

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2017, 10:33:32 PM »
Day four was primarily a travel day,  the real objective here was to get quite a bit closer to where most of us call home,  so that the final day home drive could be as relaxed and efficient as possible.   

One last night under the stars somewhere all to ourselves,  where we could rock out and be vulgar and kill off whatever's left in our larders,  take as long as we cared to take packing in the morning and roll out without a care  in the world. 

The destination?    Chevelon Crossing Campground!   

But first we had to get out of John's Canyon.    On the way into our surprise alternate campsite we took a very weathered little ATV trail some distance before it joined up with what could be called the main artery back up the canyon..     on the way back out,  we just stuck to that artery.   

There was very little in the way of drama, just a little dust.    I got to stand around and watch everybody hassle their way through a sand obstacle - was cool to see Bugshield's Gen3 traction control in action - no drama just continued forward movement.   Nice!

I also found another... even better campsite for next time.    How is that even possible?!

Once more I pulled out ahead to give everyone a break from eating dust - figuring that everyone would take distance behind the person ahead of them to limit the dust intake for themselves,  but when I got to the location of the gate that defines this canyon & waited for the next member of our party to catch up (so they could relay back to the last person - close the gate!) I found myself waiting..   and waiting.. and waiting. 

Finally around a half hour later I got some chatter on the BAOFENG that one of Pa_Jero's front manual hubs was being a little dingus and he had to fight with that a little bit.    No sweat!     So I moved ahead again and got out to pavement to let everyone show up again in turn,  air up their tires and get on with the highway segment of our day.

The first part of the highway goes through a very famous piece of dirt that attracts a lot of jaywalkers who like to stand in the middle of the road,  despite the fact that it's a 65mph stretch of highway with no road intersection, crosswalk,  signals, flags or other reasons for motorists to slow down.     

They might have low IQ but they're no Forrest Gumps. 

Quick fuel stop in Cameron,  and everyone was getting hungry - to keep it economical we hit up Del Taco in Flagstaff before heading East toward Winslow.     I have absolutely no idea why America is so obsessed with the idea of somebody standing around on some corner there,  you can stand on corners all over the place.     Whatever, we turned right on a corner in Winslow and headed South to Rte. 99, crossed Clear Creek Reservoir and began to receive wisdom via BAOFENG from Bugshield & Kim who are very knowledgeable about the area.     

Thanks to our leisurely pace this day we reached sunset around the time we left pavement,  following the bumpy but manageable FR504 to Chevelon Crossing Campground where we would spend our last night on this journey.

Chevelon Crossing Campground is a mix of excellent and excrement - it has relative desolation (we were alone at the campground,  and only one or two vehicles passed through while we were there on the main road) and yet there is a toilet facility... there's a river right next to it,  it's inside a really cool canyon.     It has everything it needs to be a great campground except kinda.. the greatness.    The ground is all rocky and gravely - not just from road gravel but everywhere.     There's just enough precipitation for some grass to grow but only enough for coarse, angry grasses.   This is the border between high desert and rim country and it's kind of.. shitty because of it.      I really wish we could improve the campground in some way! 

But enough about the camp GROUND, we came to have a good time!    Station Manager with KJBFP Radio,  Deejay Juicy John spun some jams via USB or something in his Montero,  fire was lit,  adult beverages consumed and all the tales and legends came to light to be judged without mercy by all.     We raged long into the night and after we had wrung the last of the rage fuel out of our assorted beverages we all retired to our tents or other sleeping arrangements to snore and fart ourselves into the land of nod. 

Day Five?    We got the F up,  packed our S and drove home.      I stopped for a burrito.    If you go to a Mexican restaurant and their menu also has handwritten community bulletins like "Lost Dog" and "Stolen Trailer" ... and there's a piece of printer paper with  "LOCO BURRO $5.75" scrawled in black sharpie, unless you're vegetarian that's what to order.      So good that parts of it may still be clogging my important blood vessels. 

This was the last time I saw Wagonmaster John B from The JBFP Overland Post & Parcel. 

And then we all died. The end.

I have begun editing a film of all this but it's time consuming work.    So expect that... at some point in the future.      Likelihood of happening ever; definite.   Likelihood of happening by Christmas:  sorta low.   But who knows?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 12:21:51 AM by Shovel »