Author Topic: How to wire up JDM corner lens to UDSM Monteros.  (Read 3659 times)

MrGalantguy

• Yes...I own Galants
    • View Profile
How to wire up JDM corner lens to UDSM Monteros.
« on: October 16, 2017, 08:11:15 AM »
For those looking to swap your usdm amber corner lens for the JDM corner lens. Since the USDM's have a single socket for a dual filament bulbs you will have to rewire to work with the JDM corner lens since the driving and signal lights are separate.

Tools you will need:
-Philips head screwdriver
-Flathead screwdriver
-Needle picker or extra small flathead screwdriver
-Electrical tape
-Solder tool and solder (Optional)
-Heat shrink (Optional)

-1st you will have to remove the corner lens which is easy to do. You will have a Philips head screw in the end of the inside fender which holds the bracket of the lens that is removed. In the inside of the fender you will see a spring and hook...just unhook that from the fender. Take you flathead screwdriver I recommend covering the end with some type of cloth so you don't damage the lens and gently pry the lens towards you where the headlight and lens meet and should pop right out.

-Unhook bulb socket from plug or just unlock the whole bulb socket from the corner lens.

-I try to keep things "factory" like so I wanted to find the bulb sockets that would work with the supplied bulb plugs that came with the JDM corner lens.
**The JDM driving light socket w/ pigtail plug is identical from a 1997 Mitsubishi Expo I found in the salvage yard
**The turn signal light socket I have not yet found to match the JDM one. I will update this when I do.

Groot by grimgs, on Flickr

Above is a comparison of the JDM sockets that came with the corner lens and the ones I pulled from Mitsubishi vehicles in the salvage yard. For the signal the closest one to fit are from a 7th gen Galant but the socket plugs do not screw right up to the JDM sockets. The driving light sockets are exact match to the Mitsubishi Expo.

What you will need to do on the USDM single socket plug is remove the pins from the socket. There will be 3 pins with 2 positive wires indicated in green and a single ground pin (black wire). You will need to use a needle picker or a really small flathead screwdriver to remove the pins from the socket. If you cut the pigtails for the sockets you will have to remove the wire pins also the same way OR splice the pigtail wires to the existing harness on the Montero.

As stated above I haven't found a plug to match the provided socket on the JDM corners so for right now the pins are directly plugged to the socket male pins. The signal bulb is on the top part of the JDM corner lens. The signal power wire is green with the yellow stripe. If you look into the socket the negative pin contact is higher on the wall of the socket while the positive is lower...just follow the contact to the associated pin and connect the wire pins accordingly.

Now for the driving lights you will do the same except since there is only 1 ground wire on the USDM harness you will have to splice another ground wire to the existing ground wire.

I soldered the extra ground wire for the driving lights ...I recommend doing this. Same rules apply wiring the socket and plug like the signal bulb as far at matching which is positive and negative like the signal socket.

Once you got the sockets wired up make sure test them out to see if the lights work as they should and make any corrections needed. Do this especially before you decide to apply heat shrink like in the pic above just in case you have to fix a issue in the wiring.

**The supplied turn signal bulb on the JDM corners worked but if you use them you will run into the issue where w/o the brake applied they "pulse" normally but when you apply the brakes they will have a more rapid frequency. This is because of the bulb resistance and also the supplied bulb isn't bright. I switched to a 1156a amber bulb which is bigger and works properly and has a brighter light output. I recommend switching to this bulb if you convert to JDM corners.

I will update this tutorial with more detailed pics.
-1998 Montero (Winter package & Adjustable suspension)
-2002 Montero Limited
-1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000
-1996 Galant 4G64t 5spd
Owner of: Nostalgic JDM
Facebook: Nostalgic JDM
Business Instagram: @nostalgic_jdm407
Personal Instagram: @itsaboutfam

TOASTY

• Administrator
  • Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
Re: How to wire up JDM corner lens to UDSM Monteros.
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 04:33:46 PM »
 Nice! Good write up.

Charly

• lost
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 04:02:27 PM »
i am just going to use the 1157 bulb socket that is already on my 98 for the stock corner lights and it 1/4 turn screws right into the top hole of the JDM corners lenses.

I will just need to wire in the driving lights (will look for the wired connectors from an expo).

Also, did you happen to also wire in JDM side markers?  I am in need of wired connectors for those too
K9ADV

MrGalantguy

• Yes...I own Galants
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2017, 07:35:57 AM »
I haven't gone the side markers route yet...but in the process. I have heard that Lancer side markers will work on the Gen 2.5 but haven't tried. If they indeed fit...I may more likely go the clear lens route instead of the amber.

When I do wire up the side markers I will include that in this thread.
-2002 Montero Limited
-1996 Galant 4G64t 5spd

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2017, 08:33:41 AM »
The Lancers appear to be the same size and shape, lens-wise.  I don't know that the rest really matters if we're cutting holes in the fenders anyways.  (unless there's a hole already existing behind the "Montero" badges?)
1998 Montero Winter Package (For Sale)
1994 FZJ80 Land Cruiser (Wife's)
2006 V8 4Runner Sport Edition (Mine)

MrGalantguy

• Yes...I own Galants
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2017, 09:44:59 AM »
The Lancers appear to be the same size and shape, lens-wise.  I don't know that the rest really matters if we're cutting holes in the fenders anyways.  (unless there's a hole already existing behind the "Montero" badges?)

The fender already has the hole ..the fender badges on the NA market Monteros "snap" into the hole just like the side marker lens in other world market Pajeros/Shoguns. There is probably some double sided tape on the actual "Montero" name badge that extends past the hole.

This is the Montero badge. As you can see the base is identical in shape to a sidemarker lens which just "snaps" into the opening of the fender.

Here is a Pajero/Shogun fender sidemarker.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 11:28:38 AM by MrGalantguy »
-2002 Montero Limited
-1996 Galant 4G64t 5spd

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2017, 09:56:08 AM »
OH man, that clinches it, i'm ordering sidemarkers today.  That's way easier than expected.  :)  Props!

MrGalantguy

• Yes...I own Galants
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2017, 11:33:48 AM »
Trying to cross reference OEM Mitsubishi Part#'s but I am not really having luck. I have a gut feeling that Evo 1-3 fender side marker lens are a direct fit to the Gen 2 & 2.5 Pajero/Monteros from looking at pictures.

My only concern is with "aftermarket" clear versions of these sidemarkers is the quality of the plastic lens and tendency of them oxidizing bad turning yellow/cloudy.

I am trying to verify if there is a OEM Mitsubishi "clear" lens available maybe in certain markets...if I can source that would be perfect.

Wiring them would be fairly easy especially if you could get the factory pigtails and connecters.
-2002 Montero Limited
-1996 Galant 4G64t 5spd

PajEvo

• Administrator
  • "The Canadian"
    • View Profile
    • JDM Journeys
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2017, 02:54:07 PM »
This is good stuff guys! Nice work! I guess I've been around JDM's for a while now, and those details get overlooked. Cool to see folks still paying them attention.

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2017, 05:32:32 PM »
It's the Proton that has the same sidemarkers.  Readily available all over Ebay and Yahoo Japan.

I just ordered a set, let me verify fitment first for you guys before you all start buying them.

Charly

• lost
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2017, 03:43:07 PM »
front  corners in. still looking for lower connectors
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 10:13:00 PM by Charly »
K9ADV

Charly

• lost
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2018, 10:13:22 PM »
Anyone find anything new on these?
K9ADV

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2018, 04:23:32 PM »
Ok i have Proton sidemarkers in my truck. They fit.  They use the same plug/pigtail as every 90s/00s Mitsubishi uses in 194 bulb locations.  If you want new ones, look here:

https://www.3sx.com/jdm-euro-oem-corner-oval-fender-lights-orange-corner-lights-turn-signals-side-marker-lights-3000gt-gto

These pigtails will also work for the running light location in the JDM corners. 

I'm working on trying to find a pigtail for the signal portion of the JDM corners.  It's an R5W bulb, which sucks and isn't super common stateside.  I suspect that if we're swapping to 1156 or 1157 bulbs in that location, there should be something that will plug right in.  Personally, i'm going to try to avoid using a dual filament in that location, to have the corners working as originally intended (and also because "dual filament" LED bulbs cost more for good ones, and are highly prone to being defective on the cheap end of things.)

It's cold here, so i won't be able to mess with finding stuff in the junkyard for a week or so. 

RaptorReed

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2018, 12:40:56 AM »
I noticed my EDM/JDM corners are a bit different other than the obvious Amber lens in mine, it has the raised deflector spot similar to an AMG Galant Corner light. Mine are DEPO reproductions however, but hey can't beat brand new lights no less! I'll try to do some digging around the interwebs for a similar plug for the turn indicator.

Tim
1994 Monterp SR
1992 Galant VR-4
1988 Starion
1976 Colt Galant

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2018, 08:41:26 AM »
Hrm... what are those corners exactly?  Don't think i've seen those before.

Got a pic of the plug end of those bulb sockets?  Your larger bulb looks more standardized than what i think the rest of us are getting.