Author Topic: Gen 2 Quick Start Guide  (Read 6570 times)

MudRaider

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Gen 2 Quick Start Guide
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2018, 05:17:34 PM »
I've read this 4-5 times, and the first paragraph in #4 gets me hysterical every time. Hits the nail on the head squarely right there. 👍👍👍

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Stuff page updated regularly!
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2018, 05:51:10 PM »
Some FYI stuff:

The flashlight (the small one in the back compartment)  is part # MB871161

The other parts in the tool set (two open end wrenches, plier,  screwdriver) are part # MN125327 or  MR448532   (may have to do some research on this, unclear what the difference is)

Expect prices to be high and go up,  these things are getting less common.    Depends if you're bothered by incomplete toolboxes I guess   :)

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2018, 04:57:44 PM »
I found this 1980's Porsche advertisement that illustrates why a holistic approach to modification will produce the best results.   It's the approach I take and it's what I had in mind writing this tech thread.   

It's not the only way to roll but it's not a bad one. 

TOASTY

• Administrator
  • Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2018, 08:35:35 PM »
I'm learning like you say "The right amount is the best amount", unfortunately my main truck has suffered from years of over the top modifications and lately toning it down a tad and finding the balance that will produce the most with the least or tight where reliability and capability intersect.  It's really hard because when i drive my later in life builds that feel lagom i love them and realize i've found that sweet spot but then i drive the '99 and it's just bad ass and the way it just oozes over everything offroad is pretty spectacular. I'll never build another one like it but i'll definitely build at least a dozen others lagom style. Let's capitalize that, Lagom Style.

kidkb

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2018, 07:53:18 AM »
Hey guys, so my SR currently has working adjustable shocks. They are neat and surprisingly do change the driving dynamics/comfort pretty significantly. I honestly thought it was going to be very gimmicky. Anyhow, my question is, for anyone who has experienced using them, would you still replace them in lieu of some aftermarket pieces, particularly the ADD kits? I think my main concern with them is how quickly they might fade on washboards or off-road travel.

Thank you Shovel for the very informative post by the way.

TOASTY

• Administrator
  • Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2018, 08:08:00 AM »
The stock adjustable shocks are badass until they aren't anymore. Ride them until you can't or until you lift.

YAY4FUN

• Yep, I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2018, 03:51:40 PM »
Shovel and all:

Thanks for this.  I've read it a dozen times and will continue to refer to it.

I am a newish Montero owner.  I briefly had a 95 SR and have had my 98 non-winter package for about 10 months.  My goal with the truck is definitely within the "Lagom" framework . . a well-balanced vehicle that can get my family of 5, dog and possible trailer out where ever we want to go!

I've been focusing on deferred maintenance since I owned it, brakes, minor services, etc.  I did upgrade to 16" steel wheels and some newish 32" Coopers off of Craigslist.  I will be patrolling Pick-N-Pull for the 4.90 gears early next year and am planning an ADD suspension upgrade and lift with my hoped-for bonus money.  Prior to both however would be a major engine service as soon as possible.

My questions are as follows:

1) Major Service - Any referrals for a good mechanic in the Bay Area / NorCal?  I haven't wrenched much and am very pressed for spare time, so I want to find someone qualified to do this as it is a big investment. 

2) ARB rear locker - Anyone done one of these out there? 

3) ADD 1.5 / mid-travel lift - Although I'll mostly use this for mild off-roading, I'd like to prep to eventually do some more challenging crawling after the lockers (see above).  Any downside to this for comfort / highwat driving?  Better to do the OME Combo Breaker?

Thanks in advance, it would be great to hook-up with some NorCal folks in 2019!

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2018, 04:51:58 PM »

2) ARB rear locker - Anyone done one of these out there? 

There are a couple around, including Pa_Jero I believe.

For the ARB rear locker one advantage to that is you don't have to fool around with the left side axle shaft.     Continue using the "non-locker" one that's in your truck already.     You can get any old 4.90 3rd member (from a 3.5L Sport) and have the locker installed in that,  then dump that into your axle lickety split with essentially no downtime.

You will need an ARB air compressor,  ARB's use a higher pressure than the OEM locker does so the OEM style pump will not activate an ARB locker - but, an ARB compressor can inflate tires.    So that's kind of cool.

The main reasons somebody would use an OEM Montero locker instead of an ARB:
  • If you get lucky or do a lot of legwork it CAN be cheaper than an ARB
  • If you get lucky or do a lot of legwork you can swap the switch, compressor, computer, all into your non-WP truck and have it look and work like OEM,  including the "idiot proofing" that the computer provides

The main reasons somebody would use an ARB instead of an OEM:
  • You can just order the darn parts and have them without going on a scavenger hunt
  • Nothing is immortal,  repair parts (diaphragm, etc) for the OEM locker are nearing unicorn status except for equally old specimens in junkyards.  Again, you can just order the parts for ARB because they still make them.
  • ARB lets you decide when you command it on (careful with this..)
  • Can use compressor for front ARB,  or for inflating tires,  or other air accessories
  • ARB has been rumored to be stronger.. though really this is not a concern outside of foolishly chosen engagement timing

3) ADD 1.5 / mid-travel lift - Although I'll mostly use this for mild off-roading, I'd like to prep to eventually do some more challenging crawling after the lockers (see above).  Any downside to this for comfort / highwat driving?  Better to do the OME Combo Breaker?

The ADD rear lift coils are very pleasant on the highway as they are progressive rate wound but with a relatively short tender (that is, the lower-rate segment) - I've put down thousands of interstate miles on them and I like their sporty feel,  they stop well short of what could be described as harsh.  Nothing like a HD pickup with an empty bed - more like sporty luxury sedan.  I do not have first hand experience with the OME coils so I can't offer such a first hand account of their ride.    It seems like some people who have ordered the heavy OME coils have found them too stiff so that comes down to knowing how heavy you plan to be while under way.

The 5100 series shocks feel really soft to me.   Most of the people who run those tend to get used to the feel and grow to appreciate it.  They are definitely luxury on the fire roads and rocky river bottoms.   Conversely the people I've heard complain about them are ones who load their vehicle down heavily for expedition and they feel the 5100's don't control the weight at speed as well as desired.   That's a valid consideration,  I think if you're hauling 400+ extra pounds & butts in every seat and then taking long trips you might want to look at the OME shocks - they're expedition proven for heavy packed vehicles.     OME shocks might also be the right choice if you're not heavily loaded but you want a tighter ride on the street. 

YAY4FUN

• Yep, I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2018, 08:01:22 PM »
Thanks Shovel, appreciate it!