Author Topic: Swap from 4.90 Open Differential  (Read 1648 times)

sgommy

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
Swap from 4.90 Open Differential
« on: October 27, 2017, 03:26:50 PM »
I get the impression that this topic has been beaten to death, but the more we document on the forums as opposed to the FB Page the better (right!?).
I picked up a JDM 1994 Pajero Exceed 2.8TD last year without doing my research, and it's got a wide-open free wheeling 4.90 set of diffs. It serves primary winter duties so the open differential is pretty high on the list of things to replace.
Canada never did get any Gen II or II.5s, so they're pretty few & far between, but we did get lots of Montero Sports, and there's a couple AWD Models at the junkers nearby. A locker would be great, but that looks like it'll complicate things, so an LSD will suffice.
I'll also put out a feeler for 2800TDs being parted out, but I'm not sure how many of these were spec'd with LSDs or lockers, and whether I was just unlucky

As for the diff out of the Sport: Presumably diff no. 7.5 is the 9 1/2" differential in the 2.8L Open Diff - so I'd be after the complete carrier assembly out of the 3.5L Sport w/ a Hybrid LSD? Any other differences I'd need to be aware of?

Thanks!

sgommy

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
Re: Swap from 4.90 Open Differential
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 08:58:09 AM »
Okay I gathered some information and will compile it here:

3.0L Sports: All 9" differentials of varying ratios
3.5L Sports: 9.5" Differentials also of varying ratios - a wreckers just outside of town has 2 Sports, one of which had a 4.9 but has since been sold, the other has a 4.63, unclear as to whether they were LSD or not
Gen 3 Pajeros: 9.5" Differentials but 33 Spline Axles. Gen 2s and Sports had 9.5" Diffs w/ 31 Spline. 9" Diffs found on the 3L were 28 Spline.

Couple Qs that are still outstanding:
Drive Shaft Flange differences: Do all 9.5" Differentials have the same drive shaft flange?
Axle lengths: is it only locking differentials that have the shorter rear axle? All LSD & Open differential axles the same?

Thanks

MudRaider

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 09:24:28 AM »

Couple Qs that are still outstanding:
Drive Shaft Flange differences: Do all 9.5" Differentials have the same drive shaft flange?

If you are talking about the centering ring on the driveshaft flange, my understanding is that they are all the same.

IncorpoRatedX

• Not really the
  • Administrator
  • I'm big in Japan.
    • View Profile
    • Adventure Driven Design
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 01:18:07 PM »
There are different pinion flanges depending on the axle size. I think 9 and 9.5 are the same but 8 is different? Adam know this a lot better, i'll alert him to this thread.

TOASTY

• Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 04:47:38 PM »
 Eric found that some 3.5 Sports have the 9" rear. The sport rear axle shafts are also different lengths, I've never messed with the hybrid diffs much but Eric has. He put one in his 2000, I believe it used the full length shafts as the open diff.

***Also I have a hybrid 9.5" diff for sale CHEAP!!!

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Stuff page updated regularly!
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2017, 06:25:15 PM »
Axle lengths: is it only locking differentials that have the shorter rear axle? All LSD & Open differential axles the same?

Every 9.5 3rd member I've seen has the same flange.   

The Hybrid LSD uses the same axle shafts as the open carrier,  so somebody with an open carrier 9.5" 3rd member can simply drop a Hybrid LSD 3rd member in without having to think about axle shafts or ABS tone rings. 

Toasty is your hybrid diff just the carrier or a whole 3rd member?

TOASTY

• Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2017, 08:46:54 PM »
just the bare LSD

sgommy

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2017, 12:20:39 PM »
Now we're talking toasty - what do you figure shipping up to Alberta would cost? I'm definitely interested after lighting up one tire at every intersection on my snowy commute this week