Author Topic: Big Blue - 1991 LWB  (Read 4720 times)

Sedole

• View Profile
Re: Sedole's 1991 LWB
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2018, 08:16:07 PM »
Drove my friends today in my truck today on the way to the LKQ yard and one commented, "Sean, did you put your exhaust back to stock or something?  It's like kinda quiet now!"  I never told him about the Noico sound deadening, so I guess it must really be working and I'm not just imagining it! 

They also commented that the truck rode a ton smoother with the new shocks on.  The friend that owns a raptor kept going on and on about how surprised he was at how smooth it handled the gravel road!

Glad to get some feedback and see that I'm not tooooo biased!  8)

« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 08:17:45 PM by Sedole »

TOASTY

• Administrator
  • Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2018, 04:00:52 PM »
 I like that, that would make me feel all good inside too.

Sedole

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2018, 08:04:18 PM »
I had a pretty productive weekend!  Started off Friday night some some more maintenance items.  Engine oil and drain/fill two L of transmission fluid.

Not a bad idea to write the date/mileage on your filter.  Bonus points if you get it tight and can still see the numbers!

Made a better comparison picture of the headlights.  The pictures don't capture the distance the light travels well, so you'll just have to trust me the H4s are much better.  If you're on the fence, just do it!  Ditch those sealed beams!

Aaaand, bumper time!

Scrolling ebay in class and I come across a full width JK bumper for $150 shipped to my doorstep!  It claimed 5/32" material and a .120 bar.  No other dimensions were listed but it claimed to be a full width so I took a chance!  I had actually seen one on a JK the other day and thought it looked pretty good so what the hell why not.

Bumper got in and I immediately mocked it up.  First off, I guess full width is 65".  5/32" was used on the front face and top, and 1/8" everywhere else.  Bumper brackets were 3/16" and the shackle mounts are 1" and welded front and back.  I debated sending it back at this point cause I really don't like the massive diving board look with the bumper sticking a foot off the front.  Buuut the little man on my shoulder said screw it, break out the angle grinder!  So that's what I did!

Chopping about 2.5" off the back, and later on in this post, 2" off each end and the winch fairlead mount, plus some of the supports on the back netted a loss of about 12-15 lbs!  Also enabled the bumper to sit a good bit closer to the body.

Next up mounts.  I used 3/16" steel to adapt the bumper so it mounts the same way as factory.  Later on I'm going to make another tab to utilize the preexisting nuts on the other side of the frame horns.  So it will be like a C.  I'm also going to weld more of the frame horn seams, but that's a project for a later day.  My little ryobi really struggled to get the job done, so I'm going to track down a friend with a drill press and make these.  Also, drill first, then cut, then weld.  Don't do it like this lol.

That width really needs to be taken down...  Chop chop with angle grinder!

Boxed in with 1/8" steel:

Cut off most the winch fairlead mounts (left enough to mount my plate on), flap disc'd the ends smooth, cleaned it all up, and threw on a little satin black rustoleum then mounted her up!

All in all, I'm pretty dang happy!  For $150 I don't think I could have come up with something better just welding from scratch.  Weight wise it's not too bad.  Stock bumper is in the ballpark of 25-30 lbs.  This is 55-60lbs.  I could probably cut out another 5-10 lbs of unnecessary material too.  Was able to get it close enough to the body so approach angle (comparing to a stock bumper with the little black bumper pad things still on) is about the same.  I could probably get it sitting 1" closer to the body, but that would involve cutting the frame horns which I don't want to do at this time.

I was worried about the whole blah blah Chinese made junk argument, but really it's not so bad.  Sure the coating is crap and sometime I'll wire wheel it all off and repaint with rustoleum satin black, but it's cheap, sturdy, and the welds are pretty decent.  I did some destructive testing of my own welds and the bumper's welds on the pieces that I cut off and was pretty satisfied.  I don't know that I'd trust the shackle mounts for a snatch ever, especially without reinforcing with the C mount that I was talking about, but simple tug outs where I'm not too stuck should be fine.  Anything more and I'll use Mitsubishi's factory front tow point.

Sedole

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2018, 08:57:28 PM »
Got some gas, took more pics.  Gotta love that gas station lighting!

TOASTY

• Administrator
  • Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2018, 10:36:35 AM »
Bad ass dude!

PajEvo

• Administrator
  • "The Canadian"
    • View Profile
    • JDM Journeys
Re: Big Blue - 1991 LWB
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2018, 08:36:16 PM »
Dude I am so loving this build. Often times if there's no "like" button like some other places (cough cough) we do still like it, read it, then move on. So I'm going to go on record as saying I love it! (insert red heart here). :)

Makes me miss my last gen1 - an 89 in the same color.

Keep up the good work. Bumper is a nice find, and an even better adaptation!

Phil

ChargerX3

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2018, 03:22:00 AM »
Nice work and adaptation! She fits well! What bumper did you go with? Iíve been looking at a replace for my 89 as well.

Sedole

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2018, 09:14:45 PM »
Thanks for the love dudes!  Appreciate it!

The bumper is called "Rock Crawler Front Bumper w/Fog Light Housing for Jeep Wrangler JK 2007-2018" I got it from an ebay  seller called "hk-directsale" but many others have the same exact product. 

Often times if there's no "like" button like some other places (cough cough) we do still like it, read it, then move on.

No worries, I do the same thing.  I do of course appreciate getting comments and feedback, but I also keep this thread going along for myself to look back on, so even if nobody replies I'll keep on posting!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 09:17:15 PM by Sedole »

Sedole

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2018, 08:41:22 PM »
Trip log!  Took a day trip to run some trails near Lake Arrowhead.

127.6 miles, 13.2 mpg.  About 15 miles off road.

Was hoping I'd get a little better mpg, but I did keep my right foot pretty into it all the way up the mountain so not much surprise there lol  ::)  On the plus side, temps stayed perfect!

Here she is looking puny next to my buddy's raptor:

Found some rocks to play on:

And some mud left from last weekends rain!

Made it home unscathed except for a couple scratches where I hit my frame on the rocks...

...and this:

I looked down and thought, how did a damn twig get stuck in my cluster?!?!  Then I looked closer...  :o

Time to break out the superglue!

Also modification ideas/wants after this trip... big brake upgrade. 
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 10:37:53 PM by Sedole »

johneric

• Should have made that left...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2018, 11:51:00 AM »
ha! did you peg it??
1989 Montero SP
3.0L V6 SWB

Sedole

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2018, 10:21:15 PM »
Finally fixed the speedo!  Cleaned off the decades of filth on the plastic covers while I was at it too.

Applied some festivity:

And started off the season right by getting rear ended!  Slow speed hit directly to the hitch, so this was all the damage I sustained, but even at that slow speed, the little fiat that hit me got munched!  Bumper, intercooler, and hood smushed in!  I should have taken a picture, but forgot...

Installed a very important mod, worth at least 50 free horses to the wheel!  Peep my doggo and unenthusiastic S.O.

Finally got around to installing the gen 2 boneyard seats I picked up a month or so ago.  Passenger was an easy swap, but driver I had to swap the skins onto a manual control seat...not fun!  Driver bottom turned out a little wrinkly, but not too bad.  I can deal.  I'm just glad to have adjusting seats again!!  (could never get the LR auto controls working..)  As a bonus, these lowered my seating position about 4 inches (back to normal) from the LR seats...and I shaved about 80lbs total by ditching the LR ones!

Aaaand I've started to paint my wheels black.  Started with the spare cause that's the easiest to remove haha.  No plastidip here!

GrantCee

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2018, 03:03:19 PM »
I once had a '73 International Travelall 1210 4x4. Beautiful vehicle. Got rear ended in a parking lot by a 16-year-old girl who'd just gotten her driver's license and was tearing around the lanes frantically looking for a parking space. How she managed to miss seeing a vehicle the size of a school bus I'll never know, but she hit me hard.

Her Honda Accord didn't fare so well: took out the entire front end, part of the left front corner, radiator, did some engine and transaxle damage. She had to be towed because it couldn't even be started.

And she scratched my bumper.  ;D

« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 03:06:50 PM by GrantCee »

Sedole

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2018, 09:49:54 PM »
Little bit of decrustifying today!  Been meaning to do this for the past year and finally got around to it.

Sedole

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2018, 05:41:05 PM »
Continuing on with the blackness:

Sedole

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2019, 10:47:46 PM »
Minor mods and updates:

Finally got around to putting Noico in the passenger area of the truck.

Installed a rear view mirror back up camera system.  Very straightforward to install, only being made difficult by the very brittle interior plastics.

The mirror/monitor came with a windshield adapter, which of course does not work with the stock montero configuration because the mirror is mounted to the roof, not windshield.  Fortunately for me, the ball of the factory mirror ball joint looked to be about the same size as the ball of the new mirror.  Took a chance (only way to take it apart was by destroying my factory mirror) that it would fit and ripped it apart.  Dice!  Perfect match!  Couple zips with the dremel and zaps with the sparky gun and we now have an adapted mounting system!

Looks subtle in black.  I like.  And this new mirror has much better clarity than the beat up factory one and is a little wider field of view as well.  Bonus!

Camera placement and monitor on (activated by reverse lights):

One day of use verdict:  Excellent concept, not the best in reality.  If there is any sunlight coming from the rear, the glare makes the monitor unseeable due to it being behind a mirrored screen.  The camera included in the cheap kit I bought has a very inadequate 120 degree field of view.  I will be upgrading to a more sleek lower profile camera with 170 degree view.  Other than that, this thing is great!  The monitor auto-dimming function works great, and the mirror as a mirror is very clear to look through.  The mirror itself is also very well made, like mid-late 2000s oem mirror feel.  A little plasticy but sturdy and fine to look at.  There is no glare dimming lever, but I have not found it to be necessary as this mirror is almost an in between of the day and night levels of a so equipped mirror...if that makes any sense.  Goldilocks.

And of course, some winter wheeling!  Just some easy fire/maintenance roads in Angelus Oaks, CA.

While the trails were easy, we did have to manage some deep ruts and slick mud and ice.  As usual, the truck did not let me down!  And boy did I have fun hooning those muddy and snowy turns!  The factory LSD is very satisfying!  8)

Lastly, I took the old girl for her required smog for registration, and she passed without a hitch! 

Which brings me to my next bit of news.  The gen 1 chapter of my Montero journey seems to be slowly coming to a close.  While I really really love this truck, there are certain areas that I just feel are lacking for my needs.  So, I've decided to list her for sale and pursue the gen 2.5 life!  I don't anticipate a quick sale, and I'm in no rush to sell either.  I'll likely list at what some would call a crazy price ($5,000) which leaves me negotiation room, but also partly because I don't really want to see her gone.  I'd love to keep her, but I'm not at the point in life where I can justify owning so many vehicles.  I currently own 3, and adding the 2.5 would make 4.

Regardless, I will continue to tinker and go wheeling while she is in my possession.  I can't help it!  I've got a few parts in bins to install, white paint to slap on the roof, and might even build a simple wood platform for the rear.  And who knows, I just might change my mind once I get done with it all!