Author Topic: Concealer's Worst Build Thread In History  (Read 9902 times)

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
    • View Profile
Concealer's Worst Build Thread In History
« on: October 30, 2017, 01:36:58 PM »
I will do what i can to keep this thing up, but no promises.  This truck is 3rd or 4th in line in the Project Line-Up, so unfortunately it's relegated to "I do what i can, when i can, how i can."  I just decided this morning by way of buying tires for it that i was going to keep it, so here goes.

It's a green (gross) with tan/brown (uuugggghhhhhhhh) interior 98 Winter Package with some miles on it.  I think 172k?  Not sure. 

I'm going to keep using this as a jack of all trades.  I use it to haul parts.  I use it to run errands.  I will be using it to tow another project.  I will camp out of it.  I will bounce it off rocks.  I'll get it stuck in mud.  I'll probably use it as a platform to learn how to weld on. 

Current modifications (I'll at least try to keep this updated):

Exterior:
Nilight LED reverse lights (a la Imnosaint)

Suspension/wheels/tires/brakes:
4Crawler 2" body lift
15x8.5 -19 Enkei EK32 2 piece wheels
35x12.50r15 Cooper STT Pros

Engine:
Nothing.  I keep oil in it most of the time.
Some cobbled together ridiculously leaky exhaust courtesy of PO

Interior:
2nd and 3rd row seats thrown in dumpster
Kenwood Excelon KDC-X997 headunit
Sony GS 6.5" components in front doors
Sony GS 6.5" components (mids only) in rear location
Funkin Audio SX-series 12" sub in a small sealed box
Sounstream Picasso Nano PND-5.640 amp

Offroad-y/Overlanding things:
Ebay Snorkel

Near Future Plans:
1) I have a non-airbag dash and a set of amber face gauges (main and aux) to install.  I should probably re-seal all the ductwork and consider replacing all the heat/ac components behind the dash while i'm in there.
2) I have the better t-case shifter to install hanging out on the shelf
3) D2 HID conversion setup.  Bought it nearly a year ago. Haven't had time.
4) Give my entire piggybank to ADD for their catalog

Less-near Future Plans:
1) Install all the things from ADD
2) Gears.  Need to decide between 4.90s and 5.29s.  Will likely go 4.90s because much cheaper, and ease of just using an entire Sport front diff
3) Bumpers. 
4) Sleeping platform.  Needs to be fold/be modular, but backwards from most people.  I am unwilling to give up my ability to just slam a gross motor/trans in the back of this thing, and loading a motor under/on top of a platform sucks.
5) Sliders
6) 6g75 swap.  I don't particularly care of it's MIVEC or not, i'm literally only planning on this because my original motor is questionable, leaking everywhere, and has questionable components on it.  It needs to be pulled out, and i'm not going through that effort just to put another 6g74 in.
6.5) Transgo kit
7) 17s and Sport brakes
8) Figure out whatever front grill Toasty is running and get one.

Random Pics

The morning i picked it up.
2016-01-19_09-36-47 by concealer404, on Flickr

The next morning.
_IGP9468 by concealer404, on Flickr

_IGP9492 by concealer404, on Flickr

_IGP9466 by concealer404, on Flickr

Playing at Indiana Badlands Offroad Park
2017-10-30_04-33-30 by concealer404, on Flickr

2017-10-30_04-33-55 by concealer404, on Flickr

2017-10-30_04-34-30 by concealer404, on Flickr
1998 Montero Winter Package (For Sale)
1994 FZJ80 Land Cruiser (Wife's)
2006 V8 4Runner Sport Edition (Mine)

kalieracer

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
Re: Concealer's Worst Build Thread In History
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 03:11:58 PM »
3.8 swap is fairly cheap if you use an Endeavor motor. I have been them as low as 425. You will need all new 3.5 timing gear, and 3.5 oil pump cover. you can either tap the bosses to a bigger bolt or weld on a plate to the driver side motor mount. Mivec will add all sorts of costs. You can remap your 98/99 ECU for bigger injectors / the bigger motor.

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 03:25:41 PM »
3.8 swap is fairly cheap if you use an Endeavor motor. I have been them as low as 425. You will need all new 3.5 timing gear, and 3.5 oil pump cover. you can either tap the bosses to a bigger bolt or weld on a plate to the driver side motor mount. Mivec will add all sorts of costs. You can remap your 98/99 ECU for bigger injectors / the bigger motor.

That's about as far as i've gotten in terms of research, myself.  Problem being that i read everywhere "you can remap your 98-99 ecu" and then i lose the tail there.  Haven't seen any real information on this, just lots of people saying that you can, and one person that did it, but maybe swapped in a 3000GT ecu instead?  And then didn't really give any great info on how to do that.

Which is fine, i get it.  Not everyone shares their life story on the internet.  But this should be a SUPER simple swap, and i've done my fair share of swaps.  I just can't dive in blind like that on my DD.  I'm watching very closely what you do.  This is a vehicle i'd love to just throw some money at someone to figure out the mapping side of things.  Otherwise, i'm just going to put a Haltech or Megasquirt on it, since there's overall more information on doing that, because with a standalone.... it's just a V6.

I have EcuFlash on my laptop, but it's pretty un-friendly compared to TunerStudio so far.   :P
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 09:51:36 PM by concealer404 »

kalieracer

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 09:27:58 PM »
Evoscan and Tatrix will get you where you need to be in terms of remapping / flashing. I suggest going the Chrome ECU route that we are trying to get going. It will give more turning options and knock control. All the stock sensors work with it. Charger ended up doing that for his Mivec build. I am doing the same for mine. I would make sure you get the 2006 and later Endeavor motors as they make more power. The mivec thing is really going to be game changer with lots more power.

That's about as far as i've gotten in terms of research, myself.  Problem being that i read everywhere "you can remap your 98-99 ecu" and then i lose the tail there.  Haven't seen any real information on this, just lots of people saying that you can, and one person that did it, but maybe swapped in a 3000GT ecu instead?  And then didn't really give any great info on how to do that.

Which is fine, i get it.  Nobody everyone shares their life story on the internet.  But this should be a SUPER simple swap, and i've done my fair share of swaps.  I just can't dive in blind like that on my DD.  I'm watching very closely what you do.  This is a vehicle i'd love to just throw some money at someone to figure out the mapping side of things.  Otherwise, i'm just going to put a Haltech or Megasquirt on it, since there's overall more information on doing that, because with a standalone.... it's just a V6.

I have EcuFlash on my laptop, but it's pretty un-friendly compared to TunerStudio so far.   :P
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 09:29:48 PM by kalieracer »

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 09:53:12 PM »
Well motor things happen after suspension/gearing in my case, so i look forward to what you share with us and i hope you make a few bucks along the way.  :) If you make MIVEC easy and do it properly (as in not a window switch) then i'm game!

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2017, 09:04:19 AM »
UPS guy begrudgingly delivered my tires this morning!

20171101_094034 by concealer404, on Flickr

This looks fine, right?
20171101_094118 by concealer404, on Flickr

Much better.
20171101_094208 by concealer404, on Flickr

Who needs a truck?  I have a Gen2.
20171101_094633 by concealer404, on Flickr

kalieracer

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2017, 10:39:50 AM »
not looking to make any money. Just want to have fun with the trucks. The mivec thing is worked out already with out a switch.

Well motor things happen after suspension/gearing in my case, so i look forward to what you share with us and i hope you make a few bucks along the way.  :) If you make MIVEC easy and do it properly (as in not a window switch) then i'm game!

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2017, 03:46:06 PM »
We have 35s mounted.  Look awesome, cut up the front bumper to clear.  Ran into an issue where my bars are sagging REALLY REALLY badly because the truck is really worn out.

20171103_182825-1 by concealer404, on Flickr

Saaaggggggg.
20171103_185027 by concealer404, on Flickr

Does not clear that side at full lock, tires hit back of fender.  Way more than it should.
20171104_122045 by concealer404, on Flickr

But hey.  Looks super cool.
20171104_095007 by concealer404, on Flickr

20171104_115829 by concealer404, on Flickr

And then ordered ADD lift kit with a new OEM idler and ADD Kingpin.  Tacked on a full set of Siberian bushings for good measure.

TOASTY

• Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2017, 07:52:49 AM »
Going to be great all freshened up! Good chatting this weekend.

ChargerX3

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2017, 12:09:41 AM »
Drop in a 3.8 already. ;)

Im running a 3000gt SL ecu from 99 I believe. Tactrix, ecuflash, Evoscan are your friend.

Running a window switch is just as ny other method for MIVEC. Wonder who I running it vi ecu? I was working on that but have been on a break.

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2017, 08:23:25 AM »
The only reason i personally don't like the window switch method, (i'm not knocking your method, i think your truck and swap are great) is that that's not how MIVEC was designed to work.  There's not an RPM in oem form that MIVEC "switches" from off to on.  I'm kindof particular about things like that, which is why historically if i swap a motor, i just use a Haltech or Megasquirt.

3.8 is happening in some format, though.  I just want to do it last, really.  Handle suspension and gearing (and general clean up), then armor, then do the 3.8 and a Transgo'd transmission at the same time.  :)

ChargerX3

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2017, 02:28:38 PM »
The only reason i personally don't like the window switch method, (i'm not knocking your method, i think your truck and swap are great) is that that's not how MIVEC was designed to work.  There's not an RPM in oem form that MIVEC "switches" from off to on.  I'm kindof particular about things like that, which is why historically if i swap a motor, i just use a Haltech or Megasquirt.

3.8 is happening in some format, though.  I just want to do it last, really.  Handle suspension and gearing (and general clean up), then armor, then do the 3.8 and a Transgo'd transmission at the same time.  :)

There actually is a designed RPM that actuates the MIVEC solenoid. The 4g Eclipse PWMs the solenoid at 4,000rpm and above. Once it drops below it disengages. Not too complicated. My window switch is programmed to mimic that same actuation. Easy enough.

PajEvo

• Global Moderator
  • "The Canadian"
    • View Profile
    • JDM Journeys
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2017, 05:11:57 PM »
Every time I read this thread title I chuckle. Partly because its funny, and partly because its one of my favorites, and there's a certain irony in there.

So, complete moron question: If I have Evoscan (which I do), a cable (which I do) and a MIVEC Pajero Evolution (which I do), is there a way to COPY the ecu's files? Or is this revealing the shallow depths of my knowledge in such matters?

ChargerX3

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2017, 07:55:30 PM »
Every time I read this thread title I chuckle. Partly because its funny, and partly because its one of my favorites, and there's a certain irony in there.

So, complete moron question: If I have Evoscan (which I do), a cable (which I do) and a MIVEC Pajero Evolution (which I do), is there a way to COPY the ecu's files? Or is this revealing the shallow depths of my knowledge in such matters?

You may be onto something. Couple questions. First what is the part number on your ecu? Second do you have a picture of both the plugs that go into the ecu as well as pictures of the ecu board itself? Third what year is your vehicle? From there I can determine the future. :)

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2017, 03:02:38 PM »

There actually is a designed RPM that actuates the MIVEC solenoid. The 4g Eclipse PWMs the solenoid at 4,000rpm and above. Once it drops below it disengages. Not too complicated. My window switch is programmed to mimic that same actuation. Easy enough.

Yes, but it's not "on all the way" or "off all the way."