Author Topic: Montero, died no warning. Electrical somewhere?  (Read 2182 times)

bikerjosh

Montero, died no warning. Electrical somewhere?
« on: November 06, 2017, 03:17:03 PM »
Ok, figured this was a good place for this.
Montero died on the trail, no warning about 15 miles from nearest pavement above 10k feet.

Checked all fuses/relays in under-hood fuse box, battery cables, grounds, swapped out ECM with another 2.5 Montero and that checked out.

Symptoms:
1. car will crank, but no start;
2.  ultra-gauge (like scan gauge) was running and previous to cut out was showing normal parameters, after car died it wouldn't connect back to car and just showed boot up screen.
3.  when turning key to "on" position check engine light does not light, previous to this it did.
4.  plugging other code readers into OBD2 port under the dash only results in "link error" no error codes.

What would cause the OBD2 port to not communicate w/readers, is the absence of CEL a hint of where to look?
Anyone ever had this happen with the same symptoms? If so what was it?
Car had to be towed back to Bay Area and is now sitting in my driveway waiting for me to dig in.  :'(

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
Re: Montero, died no warning. Electrical somewhere?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 03:58:49 PM »
I briefly had a Montero that didn't want to talk through its OBD2 port when it wasn't running.  - as in,  start it up and it talks.   

I only had that vehicle for a few days so I didn't investigate any further. 

Are you getting spark?   Injector pulses?   If none of those things,  check your crank position sensor.     I think it's the triangle shaped plug by your ignition coils,  and the three conductors are +12v,  gnd and pulse.     You can backprobe them while the key is in run, to find which one is battery and which one is ground (I think the ECU interrupts the ground when key off, but I'm not looking at a manual right now that's just foggy memories)  .      The third one should pulse between 0.5V and 5v relative to ground while cranking the engine over,   which is easiest to see on a multimeter that has an actual moving needle...  or a multimeter that shows frequency in hz

Crumb

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 11:35:04 AM »
Check the alternator 100 amp fuse, thats my only guess. This baffles me

RyanY

• I'm new here!
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 02:57:01 PM »
It almost sounds like the ECU is no longer getting power. I'd check the FSM to determine where it's power is sourced from, or just check every fuse and fusible link on the vehicle.

evomaki

• I'm new here!
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 05:48:23 AM »
One shot in the dark is the fuel pressure sensor on top of the tank.  This is accessible by removing the cover plate on the floor of the rear cargo area.  I know that failure of that sensor does not throw an error code, but will affect vehicle operation.  It is not hard to R&R, but it is something like $70.  My truck had a cold start problem.  A Mitsu tech I know said try swapping that out from one of my other cars and it made the difference.