Author Topic: Sierra Nevada Challenge 2018  (Read 6571 times)

FordyceCreek

• Where am I?
    • View Profile
Sierra Nevada Challenge 2018
« on: November 15, 2017, 12:22:03 PM »
Obviously 2017 collapsed for a number reasons. And I think we are all working towards the idea of alternating years due to the time required, vehicle prep and costs. How is everyone thinking about next summer? North or South? For my kids school I am assuming August 13th for start date.
My name is Lloyd. Cross overs are for chicks, I like my Woman hot and nasty, Pizza,(Courtesy of Pat for 2018) AC/DC and my favorite trails are Hole-N-The-Rock and Fordyce Creek.

1996 Montero, 37" BFG, 4:1 Rocktrac, 4:88, ARB and Factory Lockers, GPS Speedo, SAS
2015 4 Runner TRD Pro Inferno with sliders and a rack
2018 Flame Red Power Wagon. Luxo package and Dual Alternators. Sliders, Extra Skids, wireless remote. What the hell else do you need on a PW?

TOASTY

• Administrator
  • Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
Re: Sierra Nevada Challenge 2018
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 07:01:01 PM »
 Vote North!!!

Welcome Lloyd!

FordyceCreek

• Where am I?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 07:52:42 PM »
We usually go with alternating, but since my family has not seen either.....(well Dakota saw south) We were sunk by the exploding Gen 3 parts last time going north and had to take the worlds hardest bi-pass yet again. Who would have guessed plastic driveshafts? Can we see that fire walking again at the Waterfall campsite? :D

The last time I completed Fordyce was in my Red 2dr, including every winch hill with out winching believe it or not. Half you guys were not even born yet. Guess we did do south last time. So revenge against the North is it? That means folks its the harder of the 2 Carnage routes with Rubicon and especially Fordyce in the mix. Not that I did not manage to Banana my drive shaft on the Dusy last time anyways  >:( Has the new areas of the Rubicon made any progress in the last 2 years?

Obviously we don't have to work every detail out now, but dates are always the most critical as so many of have kids now.

Some things to consider;

With the every other year concept I would like to go for max time as well. Want to go for Barrett before Con. We could meet at Wrights lake campground to make it easy to meet up. Anything we can do to avoid weekends for the 2 big ones in our planning should be considered essential. I know there was talk of easier trails added to the mix at the start to get warmed up. Guess we can see what is south of the Con and Barrett we can come up with. But we better figure on 2 days Barrett, 3 Con and 3 Fordyce if we dont want to kill our selves. And do we want a rest day at the water falls? Or just allow plenty of time for short trail days. (my vote) These big trails always seem to fill the schedule. Has anyone figured out how to make Gen 3 drive shafts and CVs hold up for these types of trails? Seems like if we make known weak parts have replacements or upgrades such as the Pitman fiasco from last time up north we could have a smoother trip.

For those thinking about joining an infamous Carnage, both the fun and challenge cannot be properly described. Winch, big tires, gears, massive cooling, upgraded parts, lifts, lockers..you'll want it all along with lots of patience. Breakage will occur, we can only work to minimize it. Long Days on the trail do happen. Fordyce is the hardest scenic 4x4 trail in the country, but the scenery is SHOCKING.Reach out with your questions.
My name is Lloyd. Cross overs are for chicks, I like my Woman hot and nasty, Pizza,(Courtesy of Pat for 2018) AC/DC and my favorite trails are Hole-N-The-Rock and Fordyce Creek.

1996 Montero, 37" BFG, 4:1 Rocktrac, 4:88, ARB and Factory Lockers, GPS Speedo, SAS
2018 Flame Red Power Wagon. Luxo package and Dual Alternators. Sliders, Extra Skids, wireless remote. What the hell else do you need on a PW?

TOASTY

• Administrator
  • Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 04:51:02 PM »
 I think Rainier has a skid plate for that drive shaft now and a smaller rear bumper. You want to camp near Flagstaff with us in January and iron out some details?

FordyceCreek

• Where am I?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 06:01:33 PM »
January, are you F ing crazy? Its cold! You know that they actually have weather up there ?  ;) Can I bring the Power Wagon?

TOASTY

• Administrator
  • Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 07:51:23 PM »
 Dude you got a Power Wagon!? YES!

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Stuff page updated regularly!
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2017, 08:35:03 PM »
Haha now I'm not the only clown with a ram and a Montero.   

FordyceCreek

• Where am I?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 09:01:01 PM »
Well according to Fiat I was supposed to have one 10/25/17.........hopefully some day soon. Then I can start fixing the steering  :o

FordyceCreek

• Where am I?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2017, 05:59:01 PM »
We could stop at Bridgeport on the way up for warm up trails. That is what I planned last time when you guys drove around the other side.

Its such a PIA that all the trails between Barrett and Yosemiti are still locked up in Environmental Whacko litigation. However progress through the courts does seem positive.

Lordtrunks

• UTE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2017, 08:09:53 PM »
I'M IN!

FORDYCE CREEK MUST BE FINISHED!
Diesel 89
Doesn't give a fuck

TOASTY

• Administrator
  • Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2017, 08:57:14 AM »
Awesome!

FordyceCreek

• Where am I?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2017, 10:56:12 AM »
Alright. Its time to go to work now prepping rigs. Before you know it holidays will be over and crunch time will be around the corner. Hopefully we pull off that spring trip, but we need something moderate at least to test equipment. I know mine will need it.

A suggestion............

Dates first:  Thursday  8/2 Meet near Bishop(had a place picked out before)  ;D
                  Friday       8/3 Wheel Easy to Moderate Bishop Trails
                  Saturday   8/4 Drive to Barrett Lake 
                  Sunday     8/5 Drive out Barrett to Post Pile Camp
                  Monday     8/6 Day one Con to Buck Island (or new FTR area?)
                  Tuesday     8/7 Day 2 Con to Springs (if parts issues 2 rigs go out to get parts for next day)
                  Wednesday 8/8 Out to Cisco and Supply up.( same FS camp as last time)
                  Thursday    8/9 Fordyce to some place pretty so pretty.....
                  Friday         8/10 Fordyce to The Worlds Best Camp Site. You know the one.  ;D
                  Saturday     8/11 Out to Meadow Lake( if late camp and go home early. If out reasonable part way home)
                  Sunday       8/12 Go home booooooooooo :'(

Something I want to focus on this year and not take lightly is parts. Parts fiascos kill the trip. Tires can too, but we can only take so many. Look at what the idler issue cost us the first day on the Con. So maybe that needs to be the focus. Should we REQUIRE the ADD upgrade? Or how about bringing one ready to go you can sell to someone on the trail? Its really not many things if we focus on them. Last couple of times it was Gen 3 causing the most grief, how do we make sure breakage is minimized and we have enough spares?

TOASTY

• Administrator
  • Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2017, 04:55:26 PM »
 I'll bring a pair if Gen 2 CV's and a full steering setup for sure, maybe i'll build an upgrade Gen 1 idler assembly for someone.

FordyceCreek

• Where am I?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2017, 05:40:21 PM »
The last time we did the Con the first break down was a blown engine on the highway. Wonder if we need a spare engine  ;D But damn the idler was a bummer...Hated two lose to great guys for the entire trail because of it.

Lordtrunks

• UTE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2017, 11:27:10 AM »
If only SOMEONE offered a bombproof draglink ;D
Diesel 89
Doesn't give a fuck