Author Topic: Sierra Nevada Challenge 2018  (Read 7433 times)

FordyceCreek

• Where am I?
    • View Profile
Re: Sierra Nevada Challenge 2018
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2017, 02:15:48 PM »
Well get on it! Bring some along to sell.
My name is Lloyd. Cross overs are for chicks, I like my Woman hot and nasty, Pizza,(Courtesy of Pat for 2018) AC/DC and my favorite trails are Hole-N-The-Rock and Fordyce Creek.

1996 Montero, 37" BFG, 4:1 Rocktrac, 4:88, ARB and Factory Lockers, GPS Speedo, SAS
2015 4 Runner TRD Pro Inferno with sliders and a rack
2018 Flame Red Power Wagon. Luxo package and Dual Alternators. Sliders, Extra Skids, wireless remote. What the hell else do you need on a PW?

DezRacer25

• Roamer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2017, 04:13:01 PM »
I'll bring a pair if Gen 2 CV's and a full steering setup for sure, maybe i'll build an upgrade Gen 1 idler assembly for someone.

That sounds like the Gen 1 idler with my name on it.
Do it today for tomorrow it will be illegal!

TOASTY

• Administrator
  • Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2017, 04:43:33 PM »
 I do plan to make a new draglink, probably be a read short run.

FordyceCreek

• Where am I?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2017, 05:04:20 PM »
Wonder what the ADD "I need it to save my vacation" on trail price is  ;)
My name is Lloyd. Cross overs are for chicks, I like my Woman hot and nasty, Pizza,(Courtesy of Pat for 2018) AC/DC and my favorite trails are Hole-N-The-Rock and Fordyce Creek.

1996 Montero, 37" BFG, 4:1 Rocktrac, 4:88, ARB and Factory Lockers, GPS Speedo, SAS
2018 Flame Red Power Wagon. Luxo package and Dual Alternators. Sliders, Extra Skids, wireless remote. What the hell else do you need on a PW?

PA_JERO

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2017, 07:44:54 PM »
Man! I guess they just let anybody post on this forum.  ;D Glad to see you have made it over lloyd. Looks like this thread is about to bring out all the big guns. Can't wait for this, lots of memorable trips come from the Sierra trips. Hope we can break in a couple of new faces and keep some of the old ones around as well.

haolepinoy

• My Montero Hates Me
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2017, 07:11:59 AM »
Anywhere I can find trip reports on these past trips?

Regarding the Gen 3's giving the most grief...was is capability or simply broken parts that contributed most to the grief? What kinda stuff went wrong?
'03 Montero Limited - being repaired slightly faster than it's falling apart (debatable)

Middle-earth by Montero

My Friend's Super Epic Build Thread

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Stuff page updated regularly!
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2017, 07:21:10 AM »
Anywhere I can find trip reports on these past trips?

All the best stories trip reports come out around the camp fire.   Come out to AZ in January to get all of it!

FordyceCreek

• Where am I?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2017, 08:51:36 AM »
Sadly we have never been super organized as a group. We tried a few years back in the 90's to form an official club but it never worked out. Peaked with a 4x4 magazine article on a Hole-N-The-Rock trip we did with a ton of Monteros. So no real historical documentation. Mitsubishi 4x4s were sold too few, for not long enough to draw a following and Mitsubishi was too busy killing off successful vehicles instead of supporting them. As Shovel said its more telling the stories around the campfire.

The biggest problem with the Gen 3 is clearly the IRS. Its now generally accepted that Unibody and IRS are not for off-road. The IRS design however provides a surprising advantage for sliding the low slung truck over rocks while early Monteros hang up and flounder relentlessly. But the killer is the CVs struggle to survive. With a solid rear axle you have heavy duty axles taking the bulk of the load, and on a Montero rear axle issues are rare beyond Gen 1 axle tube cracks. Loading up and beating down on 4 CVs instead of two means more then 2x the number of broken CVs. The only mitigation we have seen is conservative driving and having everything else working. When Ranier lost his rear locker for example(due to the install shop pinching the air line where we could not get to at camp) he shed CVs the moment he put it in gear. Too much stress with open diff. These trucks cannot handle an open rear diff! He also had a poorly built after market bumper that caused his rear to hang up. What is really needed is an upgraded CV to be practical. Earlier Monteros could use an upgrade, a Gen 3 NEEDS it.

Second problem we encountered so far is the plastic drive shaft. Not suited for off-roading for obvious reasons. HOWEVER, with such little power and gearing they should hold up just fine IF nothing ever touches them as they shatter like glass. And once the drive shaft is gone the you cannot just drive on the front alone, and who wants to carry a spare driveshaft. Sounds like Ranier had a skid plate built to prevent that from happening again. Easy fix for that. thankfully. I like easy fixes.

So it really boils down to a CV solution. Until then, every Gen 3 driver needs a good working rear locker and conservative driving. For a trip like the Carnage or a long remote trip of some sort I would plan on 6-8 Cv axles.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 09:03:34 AM by FordyceCreek »

haolepinoy

• My Montero Hates Me
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2017, 11:56:57 AM »
All the best stories trip reports come out around the camp fire.   Come out to AZ in January to get all of it!

I wish...it'd only be a three day drive for me to get to AZ from VA. My wife and I priced it out last month to see how much it would cost us to go to the Overland Expo West event next year. A little too much...
'03 Montero Limited - being repaired slightly faster than it's falling apart (debatable)

Middle-earth by Montero

haolepinoy

• My Montero Hates Me
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2017, 12:03:56 PM »
Thanks for the Gen 3 report Fordyce.

Middle-earth by Montero

FordyceCreek

• Where am I?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2017, 03:25:37 PM »
So brutal living 3 days from great four wheeling. You have to consider it a major family vacation. Becomes a 2 week for you with driving. But if you make it, we will make it worth your wild by showing a great time, amazing places....making you pay for group Pizza, tying zip ties to your driveshaft, shrinking wrapping your rig while you sleep, adding fart noise makers to your tail pipe..............  :-\

We remember who was voted for Pizza this year correct?

PA_JERO

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2017, 11:53:50 PM »
PAT!!! I remember we dubbed Pat the official pizza buyer of the next sierras.

FordyceCreek

• Where am I?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2017, 06:40:49 AM »
PAT!!! I remember we dubbed Pat the official pizza buyer of the next sierras.

We have a winner! Thats what he gets for not showing up last time  >:(

cap510

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2018, 09:02:18 AM »
YES! Fordyce we’ll meet again!  ;D

cap510

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2018, 10:17:22 PM »
My buddy (copilot)  needs to ask for the days off. Do I have to meet you guys Wednesday night or will it be ok to meet Thursday morning?