Author Topic: Mitsubishi Owners Day WEST JULY 2018- Cypress CA - Off-Roading and Camping trip  (Read 4671 times)

IncorpoRatedX

• Not really the
  • Administrator
  • I'm big in Japan.
    • View Profile
    • Adventure Driven Design

Date:
July 14th

Cypress California - Mitsubishi Motors North America HQ

Address:
6400 Katella Ave, Cypress, CA 90630

Facebook event:
https://www.facebook.com/events/161064631256001/

Similar to how we ran things for 2017, we'll make the trek out to Cypress through the inferno between AZ and Cali. Then stake camp at mitsu headquarters, break camp in the early morning, meet and greet, once the crowd of cars rolls in and gets settled, we'll pack up and roll out for the trail ride and evening campsite. Plan is to break After-MOD-Squad camp well before sunset on Saturday the 14th.

Last year we left for camp around 2-3pm if memory serves correct (it often doesnt) this year we'll plan to head for the trails around 9-10am or earlier if we can round everyone up.

The purpose is not to cut MOD short, but to make wheeling and camping longer, many of our members only have the weekend to come out and play and we'd like to make the most of it.

Following the event, trail ride and camping on saturday, Sunday many people will need to break away to head home, but we'll be planning another scenic drive and light trail ride, followed by more camping.

There's talk about a southern sierra tour, but the guides and planning hasnt been concreted yet. This post will get updated as updated get concrete.

My brother is flying in for the event, life-long mitsu gearhead like myself, so I'm determined to show him what the southwest has going on in the Mitsu world.  8)

johneric

• Should have made that left...
    • View Profile
sound great - we're in.
1989 Montero SP
3.0L V6 SWB

IncorpoRatedX

• Not really the
  • Administrator
  • I'm big in Japan.
    • View Profile
I hope to map out two campsite entry points this year, one for wheelers, one for campers. There are some outlanders and mirages, maybe an old station wagon that wang to come along, many of them are adventurous and would like to camp, but dont have vehicles capable of the trail, there's also folks that dont use their monteros for trail runners and would like a casual climb to camp.

TOASTY

• Administrator
  • Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
Then do a camp actually in Big Bear, high enough elevation to be nice and cool and near the lakes. Cars can take pavement and the rest can do Cleghorn or something. We may need to reserve some space if we do a campsite, there is a large area meant for groups south east of Silverwood lake that would do.

Buddhaman98

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
Would love to go to this! Originally from SoCal so it would be great to go back and visit. Subscribed.

-Jon

reversecaoboy

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
Subscribed as well. I might actually have to be working MOD but I can always meet up after.

IncorpoRatedX

• Not really the
  • Administrator
  • I'm big in Japan.
    • View Profile
Dates are added. Reached out to the So-Cal Montero group for some trail planning, been in contact with some other folks about some fun adventures post-MOD too. With my brother coming down that week I'm working on some ideas to road trip my 99 from LA over to Michigan right after MOD...

PajEvo

• Administrator
  • "The Canadian"
    • View Profile
    • JDM Journeys
Enjoy All! We  made the drive last year but not in the cards this time around. Meeting the people was the biggest highlight for me.

Have fun!

LumberJackJim

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
Big Bear has some nice trails and are relatively easy. Cleghorn is also a good one!

I used to write for this website, it has a detailed description of the trails https://www.trailsoffroad.com/

DR1665

• Administrator
  • the agile gearhead
    • View Profile
    • work life parallel
I'm in. And second the Big Bear idea.

I'll see about contacting Camp Taquitz up there, where American Adventurist holds their SoCal Mountain Rendezvous each year.
The Driggins | 98 Pajero | 11 Juke
(Previously: 89 Pajero 2.6, 92 GVR4, 91 GVR4, 97 Talon)

IncorpoRatedX

• Not really the
  • Administrator
  • I'm big in Japan.
    • View Profile
I'm in. And second the Big Bear idea.

I'll see about contacting Camp Taquitz up there, where American Adventurist holds their SoCal Mountain Rendezvous each year.

that's a good idea!

DR1665

• Administrator
  • the agile gearhead
    • View Profile
    • work life parallel
Just reached out to Camp Tahquitz up there about space and rates for the 14th. Off-season rates are something like $10/pp for non-scouts.

Cross your fingers. Even at $20 per person, it's a super nice spot with lots of big trees, cool breeze, and no skeez.

IncorpoRatedX

• Not really the
  • Administrator
  • I'm big in Japan.
    • View Profile
Just reached out to Camp Tahquitz up there about space and rates for the 14th. Off-season rates are something like $10/pp for non-scouts.

Cross your fingers. Even at $20 per person, it's a super nice spot with lots of big trees, cool breeze, and no skeez.

any knowledge on pre-booking spaces? ADD might want to pay up front to secure space for a handful of trucks. I'll call them later today.

additionally - that camp is about 2 hours due north east from MOD. Great for those of us heading home to phoenix the following day.

DR1665

• Administrator
  • the agile gearhead
    • View Profile
    • work life parallel
American Adventurist had something like 100 vehicles attend SoCal MRV in 2016. They had the space.

Unfortunately for us, the Boy Scouts are having a big event that weekend and it's unavailable. Everything else I checked at recreation.gov up there appears to be unavailable that weekend as well. :(

I'm not sure we have enough Busch to get JBFP and Eric out for a recon between now and then. :P

IncorpoRatedX

• Not really the
  • Administrator
  • I'm big in Japan.
    • View Profile
There's only 3 weekends including this one to do any recon or set anything up. This could end up being a total bust. I was really hoping some of our SoCal crew members would speak up and help out....