Author Topic: Using a 3.5 SOHC short block to replace a seized DOHC short block.  (Read 1676 times)

wildbill99

• I'm new here!
Looking at a 95 SR with a seized motor. Lady ran it out of oil and the mechanic is selling it because she didn't want to pay to fix it. Has 162k. From what I've been reading this is a 3.5 DOHC correct? And was only available stateside in the 95 96 SR. if this is true my options for finding a JY donor are limited for a direct swap. Can I use a 3.5 SOHC from a sport I see those all the time. If I could will I need the harness and computer as well. Or could I use a sohc bottom end with the DOHC heads? Guy says that the it might be just need a crank and bearings. Has anyone done this? Where should I look for parts and how much? Could I use a 3.8 crank? Any help is appreciated.

ChargerX3

• I'm new here!
Re: Using a 3.5 SOHC short block to replace a seized DOHC short block.
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 05:57:00 AM »
Different motors and compression ratiosso not an easy swap. They made the SR block from 94-96. Just wait for another one to come around or have your guy fix yours.

Like you i picked up an SR with a bad motor. Mine was run dry and spun a main and rod bearing at 150k. Had a shop line bore it and re-hone the cylinders. They are really stout blocks.

kalieracer

• I'm new here!
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 10:53:35 AM »
You could just build a Pajero Evo motor with the block.. All you need is some 30M head and little parts.

Different motors and compression ratiosso not an easy swap. They made the SR block from 94-96. Just wait for another one to come around or have your guy fix yours.

Like you i picked up an SR with a bad motor. Mine was run dry and spun a main and rod bearing at 150k. Had a shop line bore it and re-hone the cylinders. They are really stout blocks.

ChargerX3

• I'm new here!
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 11:24:15 AM »
True. You could do a lot of things, but if he is looking for the least hassle. I would personally wait for another good sr block to pop up at a local yard. Hell I just had 3 in my yard, or just rebuild the lower end.

wildbill99

• I'm new here!
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 07:55:01 PM »
Thanks I was actually lucky enough to find a 95  Sr with 170k. Couldn't check the motor out though. What needs checked other then the fact that it rotates? I've also come across a 97 SR that had the crank pulley fall off. I would try and fix it first but if I couldn't u was wondering if all the 3.5 SOHC Montero motors interchange?

ChargerX3

• I'm new here!
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 08:24:21 PM »
Your block is a bit different than the rest of the montero blocks. For starters itís oil pump and filter pickup are on the opposite side. SRís are forged cranks. Donít believe any other us 6g74ís got them. Odd should interchange but that might need verification. About everything else is different.