Author Topic: Opinions please...  (Read 4302 times)

B.N.Z.MTNS

• Elevation 8,500í
Opinions please...
« on: November 27, 2017, 07:22:21 PM »
I posted this on the Facebook page, but bought Iíd ask here too.  Maybe more experienced Montero advice here.

I am on the verge of spending some significant money on my 95íLS.  My original plans were to get ahold of a cheap SR and  do all of the expected (axle swap, gears, rebuild the 3.5 and swap, buy all of the ADD Gen 2 stuff, etc.)

However, in my search for a beater SR, I stumbled across a pretty clean unit, 98,000 miles with some mods done already.  It got me thinking... do I just sell my LS and get this SR, or keep on with my original plans.

Keep in mind...my LS is in tip top shape and I would have a more intimate knowledge of its workings after doing all the work.  However, Iíd probably have to spend a bunch more money to get where I want as opposed to just buying the clean SR.

I have already talked to Adam (Toasty) and Iíve got his opinion, but thought Iíd check with the masses.

Thoughts...

Mine is the blue and the white is the SR that Iím considering.

-1995 Montero LS (sold)
-2006 Honda XR650R (sold)
-2011Chevy 3500 (Horse trailer hauler)

-Owner and lead pooper scooper at
Higher Ground Horsemanship & Performance Horses

-Owner/Inspector at Integrity Home Inspection

B.N.Z.MTNS

• Elevation 8,500í
Re: Opinions please...
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 09:54:11 PM »
Surprisingly, The Facebook page has offered some good feedback within a couple of hours.  It appears that the veteran Montero guys are the ones who respond the quickest with legitimate advice.
-1995 Montero LS (sold)

DONT_TREAD

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 10:31:39 PM »
i vote keeping that super clean ls and building it, no way that SR has 98k, my ls had a serious rollback on the odo, I'm skeptical
think for yourself, question authority

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 07:08:53 AM »
I like easy.  If the SR is legit, i'd just do that. 

If it's not every bit as awesome and legit as it seems, stick with the LS.  The Devil You Know.
1998 Montero Winter Package (For Sale)
1994 FZJ80 Land Cruiser (Wife's)
2006 V8 4Runner Sport Edition (Mine)

ChargerX3

• I'm new here!
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 07:47:09 AM »
I vote the SR. More advantages to that trim but also more to upkeep. If you like the clean and simple nature of your current truck then keep it and be happy. Otherwise the SR has more options you can grow into and use.

B.N.Z.MTNS

• Elevation 8,500í
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 09:02:15 PM »
Well I finally got the guy to send me a picture of the title today so I could verify some things on the SR.  I pulled the entire vehicle history and everything checks out... no negatives, accidents, repos, theft etc.  also looking at the reported mileageís on the registration history shows that the mileage claimed is probably accurate.

Iím hoping to take the 4 hour drive to see it in person this weekend.  I already know from some of the other pics he sent me, that it has a body lift, but I fully expect to see coil spacers and cranked torsions... but I may be surprised and find actual new coils and aftermarket torsion bars, you never know.

If I put values on other stuff, there are about $1,000 in BFG KM2 tires, Centerline Hellcat wheels $800 - $1,000 in their day, brush guard (needs stripped and painted/powder coated), winch, roof rack needing some cosmetic love also.
Anyway, a couple grand in extras that make the SR route more appealing.

As someone on the Facebook page  said, ďtake the path of least resistanceĒ.  If the SR checks out, it would definitely be the easiest route to my end goal, plus lower miles and more power than my current ride.

Iíll keep yíall posted...
-1995 Montero LS (sold)

Crumb

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 08:32:45 AM »
 Awesome, those 3.5 DOHC engines are great! Hope it is what it claims to be. Stoked.

PajEvo

• "The Canadian"
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 06:10:19 PM »
Look forward to the update! Thankfully, its a win-win for you! Keep the LS or get the SR. There are no bad choices here.

Rambo Penguin

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2018, 02:30:42 PM »
Any decisions on this? I live in Colorado and have seen this SR on CL for a while now. Did you buy it or pass it up?

B.N.Z.MTNS

• Elevation 8,500í
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2018, 06:00:49 PM »
Any decisions on this? I live in Colorado and have seen this SR on CL for a while now. Did you buy it or pass it up?

I tried to work with the guy on a trade (dirt bike + cash), but he backed out at the last minute and doesnít understand how critical maintenance records are.  I told him i basically have to assume a full timing job and some overall maintenance costs, but he still insists itís a mint condition rig.

After forgetting about it for a couple of weeks, I saw he raised the price $500... not sure on his reasoning when there were no takers at his original price.

After several discussions, I just didnít have a good gut feeling on it, so I stopped pursuing it.
-1995 Montero LS (sold)

JohnnyBfromPeoria

• I'm Getting Around To It
  • Get Off My Lawn! Or gravel, or whatever it is!
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2018, 06:44:18 PM »
Raising the price after no takers? One of the older tricks in the book. I've found it to be effective, too.

Lack of maintenance records would scare me off, too. I'd be in the same boat if I ever sold mine, though, too. All I have is a pile of receipts for parts, in no particular order, and no real verification of who did what, except for the good words of the AZ Crew, and that only goes so far.

John B.
AZ Crew/East Sider/Former 14th St Crew
95 SR, 35x12.5-15 on 8" steelies, 2" BL, stuff cut off, stuff welded on, lights, sound, front ARB pending
87 Raider, There's a turbo 2.6 under its hood, really
83 "Dodge" Power Ram 50, a bit lifted, way slow and gets more comments from random people than the other two put together
'95 Montero SR. Pretty much stock, Trail Gear Sliders, ADD skid plates, Stereo by Shovel, Timing maintenance by Pa_Jero

B.N.Z.MTNS

• Elevation 8,500í
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2018, 07:19:58 PM »
Raising the price after no takers? One of the older tricks in the book. I've found it to be effective, too.

Lack of maintenance records would scare me off, too. I'd be in the same boat if I ever sold mine, though, too. All I have is a pile of receipts for parts, in no particular order, and no real verification of who did what, except for the good words of the AZ Crew, and that only goes so far.

John B.

I knew this guy was just raising to get the low ballers to offer closer to his bottom line. 

My biggest problem was that he only had the thing for a short time, had no clue what he was selling and kept trying to tell me that if we agree on a deal, I canít come kick tires and take it for a test drive.

He insisted it had a 6Ē suspension lift, and a front locker.  When I told him it looked like a 2Ē suspension and 2Ē body lift and came with a factory rear locker, he tried to tell me I was wrong and it was all custom built.  He swore there was at least $4k put into the rig by the PO.

Well buddy... if Iím driving over 4 hours with a car trailer, that should say Iím serious and Iím gonna look it over as good as I can in the field since he couldnít tell me anything legit about it.  I was really interested since it had under 100k on the odometer.  I even carfaxed it and the mileage on the registration records match up with the claimed mileage.

Heíll probably get his asking price eventually, but not to anybody who has any moderate amount of knowledge of Monteros.
-1995 Montero LS (sold)

Rambo Penguin

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2018, 11:14:59 PM »
Glad to hear that you passed, I was hoping you would steer clear. I didnít talk with the guy, but I did watch the description change from saying it had 97,000 miles on the clock and no record of original mileage, to then saying 97,000 was the original, and then change again to say it had 97,000 original AND simultaneously saying you couldnít see the original image. Seemed scratchy and risky. I would be ok buying a self-built / self-maintained rig from someone who was an enthusiast, but never from some rando trying to dump a truck he knows nothing about.