Author Topic: 1999 JDM Pajero Exceed LWB with 4M41 diesel (Bought NOT Built)  (Read 10249 times)

PajEvo

• "The Canadian"
Re: 1999 JDM Pajero Exceed LWB with 4M41 diesel (Bought NOT Built)
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2018, 06:58:03 PM »
Okay, some updates. First off - keyless entry. Its reception was as positive as I had hoped, and I was able to program it to open the locks. Here's the key:

Here's how I programmed it: (note instructions are copies from one of a myriad of sites which detail this, my additions will be in bold)

~~~~~~
1. Locate the Data Port under drivers side dashboard usually located to the right of steering column.

2. Insert keys in ignition and leave in the OFF position.

3. Make sure there are metal contact pins in terminals 1 and 4 and connect the Data Port terminals 1 and 4 with a
suitable jumper wire, leave the jumper wire connected throughout the programming procedure. Make sure you
know which terminals are 1 and 4.

4. Within 10 seconds after connecting the jumper wire, press the Hazard Switch 6 times. Note: The doors will
automatically lock and unlock once at this time indicating that the system is in the programming mode.

Its tricky to get the jumper in there, but a paper clip straigtened works pretty well

5. Press the LOCK button on the remote to be registered three times within 10 seconds. Upon successful
programming, the door will lock and unlock once.

ensure your remote's battery is good. Mine was DOA when I got the new (old stock) fob

6. Repeat step 5 with up to 4 remotes (including any existing remotes) within one minute. After completing each
programming, the doors will lock and unlock once.

7. Disconnect the programming wire and remove the keys from the ignition.

~~~~~~~

Key still needs to be cut. But at least she can now open the doors remotely. Score!

PajEvo

• "The Canadian"
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2018, 07:01:36 PM »
Cabin Air filter - so apparently the North American models don't come with cabin air filters? I have no idea why. Makes no sense. Here's what I pulled out from behind the lower glovebox... (new one is alongside)

Seems dumb that they'd delete this option? It was available in LHD models in Europe, so some have suggested you can simply cut the panel out, and retrofit one. Seeing how much filth this thing filtered, I'd certainly look into it if mine didn't have one.

PajEvo

• "The Canadian"
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2018, 08:45:50 PM »
Stereo install update - works great, GPS in the upper section is factory-like, but factory-like for 2018, rather than 1999. Which is a good thing. Haven't done the reverse cam yet. The factory one is pretty old tech, so I'm going to just put one in to replace a license plate light, when the warmer weather comes.

Above is a pic. Also pictured is the center section wrapped in a gun metal vinyl, to cover the faux wood. My wife is pretty good at this stuff. No creases!

Also, we have been putting the snow tires through their paces. Really a good combo, the narrower tire with the thicker sidewall. Very planted. But digs down to traction. Even if you are in 2WD and break the rear loose, it is quite predicatable. In 4WD it simply sticks. Blizzaks for the win.

Crumb

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2018, 09:21:04 PM »
Niiiiiice!

PajEvo

• "The Canadian"
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2018, 02:19:16 PM »
Heated seat (driver's side only because self torture is only fun for so long) is done and in. Pics and writeup to follow.

Also, took care of one the most important maintenance items on a 4M41. Upper timing chain guides tend to wear down the bushing. I swapped in the OEM (updated) part yesterday. The valve train looked super clean, and the new guide quieted things down under load, just a little bit. I guess there was a teeny bit of slack in the chain. Not anymore.