Author Topic: Fuel issues  (Read 2133 times)

montynv

• I'm new here!
Fuel issues
« on: December 03, 2017, 11:25:11 AM »
Hi All, here's the back story: 91 Montero LS 3.0. Is started fine, high idle as it was cold, put in gear drove about 3' and died, wouldn't start and it acted like a fuel pump. Change fuel pump( which I wanted to do anyway), same issue except the motor locked up. I pulled all the plugs and hand cranked and fuel just dumped out of the cylinders. I tested by turning on the key and noticed that fuel was coming out of #4, so I thought I had a stuck injector, I had an extra set of injectors so I installed new injectors. I buttoned it all back together and went to fire it back up and....no start. It hydo-locked again, pulled plugs again and I had cylinders filled up again with fuel. I'm now leaning to a short 2 ground or a ecu. Does anybody have suggestions? Are there any common issues on a gen 1? If it is an ecu issues, any recommended ecu rebuilders? Thanks in advance for any feedback.

RyanY

• I'm new here!
Re: Fuel issues
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 02:15:39 PM »
My first suggestion is to diagnose your problem before you replace parts.
I would start by testing to see what electric signal the injectors are receiving - if they are dumping fuel into a combustion chamber then either the injector is physically stuck or it's being held open electrically. Since you've changed injectors then they must be being held open electrically, which means you've got some diagnosing to do. I think you're on the right track thinking there's a short somewhere, although the ECU has been known to fail. There is a company that can rebuild them - I'd search ExPortal for the name.

Crumb

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 03:50:38 PM »
 That company disappeared, Something pro ROM? Anyway I'd check the injector harness, at this age the shielding can be crumbled and your wires may be shorting out. I've run into this before, it's good practice to unloom, inspect and reloom your engine harness every 10 years or so if needed. A good time to do this is during a timing belt service, a lot of our electrical components are ground turn on (not sure about injectors) but IF they have power all the time with the key on like many other things do a short to ground is something you need to keep a sharp eye for.

BottomFeeder

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 07:10:42 PM »
The ECU Rebuild company is the following:

AvPro ECM-ECU
P. O. Box 6612
Fort Myers Beach, Florida 33932
Phone: (239)849-0981   
Toll Free:
Fax:    
Re-manufacturer of Engine and Transmission computers for Hyundai, Mitsubishi, Stealth, & Geo for model years 1989-1994.

Give them a call and see if they are still in operation.

Also call Adam at http://chromedecu.org  He may be able to do it or know who will do it.
1990 LS, 2" Body Lift, 33's, Dual LSD
1995 SR, 1.5 Body Lift, 33's
1999 Winter Package

Crumb

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2017, 06:41:33 PM »
Hooray! ^^^^^^^^

montynv

• I'm new here!
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2017, 11:52:01 AM »
Thanks for all the replies!! I'm gonna start with the wire loom to the injectors, ohm test them first. If all checks out, them start looking back to the ecu, I did pick up another ecu, so I can test with that ecu as well. If the original ecu is the issue, I will have that one rebuilt so I will have a spare on hand as well. Thnks again.

montynv

• I'm new here!
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2017, 07:43:22 PM »
SOLVED!!

After testing out injectors and wire loom, which all checked out fine. I pulled the ecu and one of the caps leaked. I did picked up a spare ecu, installed it today and it fired up. Then I had a oil leak and it turned out to a lot of gas mixed in with the oil. Drained oil, put new oil in and ran it for a bit and a short drive, drained again, new filter and filled with Shell Rotella.....Monty is happy again!!
 Thank you all for the help!