Author Topic: Electric Antenna Replacement Options  (Read 3581 times)

JohnnyBfromPeoria

• I'm Getting Around To It
  • Get Off My Lawn! Or gravel, or whatever it is!
Electric Antenna Replacement Options
« on: December 24, 2017, 06:32:55 AM »
I want to replace my factory electric antenna with one that is not snapped off. Please do not direct me to a replacement fixed antenna, as this is not what I want to do. The motor on mine still works, but sounds really rough and the mast is snapped off and bent inside the retracted part, so I'd want to replace the entire thing. Since I've never taken the fender off, I don't know the particulars of how an aftermarket one would "not fit," but I'm quite certain there are ones that simply "don't."

If anyone has done this particular job, can you save me the time, effort and money of buying the wrong thing and suggest one that actually bolts in and works the first time? Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,

John B.
AZ Crew/East Sider/Former 14th St Crew
95 SR, 35x12.5-15 on 8" steelies, 2" BL, stuff cut off, stuff welded on, lights, sound, front ARB pending
87 Raider, There's a turbo 2.6 under its hood, really
83 "Dodge" Power Ram 50, a bit lifted, way slow and gets more comments from random people than the other two put together
'95 Montero SR. Pretty much stock, Trail Gear Sliders, ADD skid plates, Stereo by Shovel, Timing maintenance by Pa_Jero

SD_Montero

• I'm new here!
Re: Electric Antenna Replacement Options
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 06:57:27 PM »
I dont know about the whole component, maybe a junkyard?
I want to do a similar thing but install a HAM antenna in the factory spot, I know they make dual HAM and FM radio antennas, any one ever do this?

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 07:47:23 PM »
My factory one works correctly and you can have it jbfp... I just have to remember to find out from pa_jero which bendy antenna fits correctly.    But also removing fenders is a little annoying due to the adhesive.  So there's a bit of time involved in the swippy swapz

IncorpoRatedX

• Not really the
  • Administrator
  • I'm big in Japan.
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 09:00:49 PM »
I got me one from a 94 LS, no moving bits. Havent installed it yet though. Not even sure if it will fit, but im gonna make it fit. This doesnt help you at all, im just here for the post count. ;)

DecadentToast

• I'm new here!
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 09:30:48 AM »
My factory one works correctly and you can have it jbfp... I just have to remember to find out from pa_jero which bendy antenna fits correctly.    But also removing fenders is a little annoying due to the adhesive.  So there's a bit of time involved in the swippy swapz

If you find out which bendy antenna fits, can you post it too? Mine is a non-powered one but it's been bent all crazy-like by the many tree branches it hit.

PA_JERO

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 02:52:44 PM »
Fixed antenna replacement

Metra 44-CR88 (non-electric)

DecadentToast

• I'm new here!
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 10:51:44 AM »
That's awesome, thank you!

that_guy_eric

• I'm new here!
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 10:33:13 PM »
In case anyone is still looking, I came across this one when I was looking, haven't ordered one yet but plan to soon http://www.antennamastsrus.com/Mitsubishi/Montero/Mitsubishi%20Montero%201992-2000.htm

jdavis

• I'm new here!
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2018, 01:21:43 PM »
Yea... need to replace mine again.

Fender comes off easy enough... just pain to to the bolts behind the door and below the side maker light.

When I replace mine will wire in switch so can retract it when needed.

~ Jon

RyanY

• I'm new here!
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2018, 01:26:08 PM »
In case anyone is still looking, I came across this one when I was looking, haven't ordered one yet but plan to soon http://www.antennamastsrus.com/Mitsubishi/Montero/Mitsubishi%20Montero%201992-2000.htm

This is probably your best bet. The antenna mast can usually be replaced without having to remove the antenna assembly - with the antenna retracted, unscrew and remove the chrome nut that surrounds the tip of the antenna mast, have someone turn on the stereo so the antenna raises, keep pulling the antenna mast until the entire mast and the plastic drive track (similar to the old SST toy cars, remember?) comes out, insert the track for the new mast back into the hole until it stops, have someone turn the stereo off and feed the new mast back in as it's being retracted by the antenna motor, replace the chrome nut.