Author Topic: Auto transmissions swap options for mighty max.  (Read 1509 times)

Pfunder Fab

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
Auto transmissions swap options for mighty max.
« on: December 24, 2017, 07:35:32 PM »
Hello all.   First time forum poster here.  I recently picked up a 1994 standard cab 5 speed manual 4x4 mighty max.   The engine starts up and runs great but the truck will not move at all when placed in gear. 

Previous owner says the clutch is totally worn out.   I'm thinking about installing a new clutch, or what I would really like to do is swap in an auto trans.   I have a 1995 montero sr donor vehicle in my fleet...does any know if it is possible to swap the auto trans into the mighty max?  Or is there a better transplant candidate I should be looking for?    Thanks in advance for your replies.

ChargerX3

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
Re: Auto transmissions swap options for mighty max.
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2017, 09:25:18 PM »
Nice to see another mighty max guy here. You even got the last and possibly the rarest year of the  V6 4x4. You should share some pics when you get a moment.

To answer your question...keep your manual trans. Itís very sturdy and will last you a long time. To do an auto you will need to take its ecu over and transplant as well as get it to talk with your existing engine ecu. Not an easy or fun swap. I would pull your manual trans, install a new clutch, and get back to having fun.

These are very sturdy and fun trucks. Ask me how I know.

https://youtu.be/JyjcxxiDjCc

Pfunder Fab

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2017, 09:51:30 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I'll try to figure out to post up some pictures soon. But to be honest she's not much to look at, but for sub 500.00 I wasn't expecting a cream puff.   While I used to only drive manual transmission vehicles, these days I prefer an auto. I have some athriritis in my feet that tends to flare up with the repeated motion of engaging the clutch.   I have also been very impressed with the reliability of the auto transmissions in my monteros. 

I have a complete running donor 1995 sr montero,  ecu, trans, and all.   I understand it may not be an easy swap, but is it doable? 

RXIN HED

• Global Moderator
  • Montero Ranch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2017, 10:08:47 PM »
All is doable, just another conversion. You may find that gen 1 Montero V6 trans parts more compatible. You'll also need an auto trans crossmember.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 06:53:39 PM by RXIN HED »
1988 Max SPX Extended Cab 4wd with Service Body & Starion Power
1980 Dodge W400 service truck

For Sale: 1983 Montero #277, 1989 Power Ram 50 extended cab
Sundry Gen 1 Montero and Gen 1 & 2 Mighty Max parts and vehicles for sale

TOASTY

• Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 10:53:58 AM »
If you can find a v6 auto from a 1989-1993 Montero it will go easily, they don't have a computer. I agree that the V5MT-1 is a stout manual but for 4 wheeling i prefer a slush box as well. If you find a 1987-1990 4 cyl auto that will work too but you'll need to swap bellhousings for your V6 (Assuming you have a V6) and i have a bellhousing I'd part with.

ChargerX3

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 02:24:39 PM »
If you can find a v6 auto from a 1989-1993 Montero it will go easily, they don't have a computer. I agree that the V5MT-1 is a stout manual but for 4 wheeling i prefer a slush box as well. If you find a 1987-1990 4 cyl auto that will work too but you'll need to swap bellhousings for your V6 (Assuming you have a V6) and i have a bellhousing I'd part with.

Good to know those auto options.

Pfunder Fab

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2018, 08:45:20 AM »

Thank you TOASTY. That's the kind of info I was looking for.

TOASTY

• Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2018, 11:57:47 AM »
That's why this forum exists! Now we all know.

IncorpoRatedX

• Not really the
  • Administrator
  • I'm big in Japan.
    • View Profile
    • Adventure Driven Design
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2018, 02:14:19 PM »

Thank you TOASTY. That's the kind of info I was looking for.

You most likely have the 3.0 V6, which means there's a ton of Aisin AW03-72L transmissions still floating around, much less of the 4 cylinder variant as they ONLY came in the 2.6 auto 2 door monteros for the most part. I've got 3 or 4 of the V6 auto transmissions at my house, most are either in use or have plans. But you can locate them pretty easy out here in the southwest. Like Adam said, 89-93 montero, 4 door montero's with the v6 will be the most likely find for you.