Author Topic: My Very Own Section? You guys rock! (FZJ80 suspension content)  (Read 1531 times)

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
    • View Profile
My Very Own Section? You guys rock! (FZJ80 suspension content)
« on: December 28, 2017, 07:56:02 AM »
Trying to nail down what my wife "needs" for her new 94 Land Cruiser.

Looking for 2-2.5" lift, since that's about the max that 33s can not look stupid on.  This is mainly mall crawling and looks.  Not a triple locked truck.

Obviously the safe bet is OME Medium Duty springs and some 5100s. 

But i'm also seeing that because of absolutely enormous (and confusing) amounts of support, there's also progressive rate springs available that many people are reporting ride better than the admittedly outdated OME offerings.  Dobinson, TJM, Tourflex, Tough Dog, ICON, etc.

Have any of you spent time rolling with any of these?  Previous "small lifts" that we've lived with on a daily basis as follows:

1) 2000 XJ Cherokee with Rancho 2" lift, RS9000XL shocks.  I thought this rode pretty rough over hard hits, but was liveable once the shocks were turned down to soft pretty far.  Wife had no complaints.  Ride quality over expansion joints and highway stuff was great, it just was too stiff to really handle the potholes or washboards well.

2) 2003 Montero with OME HD setup.  Absolutely zero complaints, but i don't know if this is truly relevant due to the sophisticated suspension design the Gen3 has, vs the FZJ80 which.... doesn't.

I'm fairly interested in a Dobinson/5100 setup, but there's an absolutely dizzying array of spring choices.
1998 Montero Winter Package (Mine)
2003 20th Anniversary Montero (Wife's)

TOASTY

• Administrator
  • Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
Re: My Very Own Section? You guys rock! (FZJ80 suspension content)
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 10:40:31 AM »
Let me know what you want and I'll make it happen, custom progressive coils and 5100's. I can also ger you bushing kits with or without castor adjusting bushings. I've got your back dude!

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 10:47:06 AM »
Cool.  :)

Dobinsons USA rep reached out to me and gave me some part numbers.  I'll yell at you guys when i'm ready to tackle this.  At the moment can't really tear into it until Monty is rejuvinated. 

BottomFeeder

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2017, 05:03:18 PM »
In between the Montero herd I am trying to work on my wife 94 Cruiser as well.  All the little things have been going wrong with it.  I would love to lift it an place some 33's at the corners but all the other issues are keeping be busy.
1990 LS, 2" Body Lift, 33's, Dual LSD
1995 SR, 1.5 Body Lift, 33's
1999 Winter Package

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 05:24:19 AM »
In between the Montero herd I am trying to work on my wife 94 Cruiser as well.  All the little things have been going wrong with it.  I would love to lift it an place some 33's at the corners but all the other issues are keeping be busy.

What's going on with it?  I have a laundry list of little things i'd like to get done to ours, but we have to rely on it at the moment for DD duties.  My Monty's suspension has degraded quickly with the cold and new addition of 35s and it's honestly pretty awful to drive at the moment, so it sits.

FordyceCreek

• Where am I?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 03:45:34 PM »
They keep this up and the next thing you know there will be a Chia Pet forum.....
My name is Lloyd. Cross overs are for chicks, I like my Woman hot and nasty, Pizza,(Courtesy of Pat for 2018) AC/DC and my favorite trails are Hole-N-The-Rock and Fordyce Creek.

1996 Montero, 37" BFG, 4:1 Rocktrac, 4:88, ARB and Factory Lockers, GPS Speedo, SAS
2015 4 Runner TRD Pro Inferno with sliders and a rack
2018 Flame Red Power Wagon. Luxo package and Dual Alternators. Sliders, Extra Skids, wireless remote. What the hell else do you need on a PW?

IncorpoRatedX

• Not really the
  • Administrator
  • I'm big in Japan.
    • View Profile
    • Adventure Driven Design
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2018, 08:59:43 PM »

At the moment can't really tear into it until Monty is rejuvinated.

Dude! Almost time to make that happen. We shipped your panhard bar and front shocks today, somehow bilstein shorted us on a hardware kit so i wasnt able to send your rears. The springs ship to you on monday and the torsion bars didnt go into heat treating before the holiday so they've been delayed for two more weeks. I know you're not in a rush but I thought you'd enjoy an update.

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2018, 05:48:42 AM »

At the moment can't really tear into it until Monty is rejuvinated.

Dude! Almost time to make that happen. We shipped your panhard bar and front shocks today, somehow bilstein shorted us on a hardware kit so i wasnt able to send your rears. The springs ship to you on monday and the torsion bars didnt go into heat treating before the holiday so they've been delayed for two more weeks. I know you're not in a rush but I thought you'd enjoy an update.

Yes!

Christmas continues!  :D

BottomFeeder

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2018, 01:58:58 PM »
Just replaced the starter and water pump.  I now have to replace the transmission speed sensor.  They ain't cheap either
1990 LS, 2" Body Lift, 33's, Dual LSD
1995 SR, 1.5 Body Lift, 33's
1999 Winter Package