Author Topic: Noise while braking  (Read 785 times)

SACKofalltrades

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
Noise while braking
« on: January 02, 2018, 03:45:01 PM »
Hey guys,

Long time lurker and user of the Facebook page, but I have a technical question and want to see things get added to the site. Anyway, on to the problem.

I am getting a really bad rubbing sound while I am braking. I am hoping that the pads have not worn through, do Montero pads have normal brake wear indicators that squeel when they get low? This never happened, it sounds the same as my tire rubbing on the fender liner. only happens when I am braking. If it is the brakes, is the Z32 brake package from rockauto.com worth it or should I stick with oem?

FordyceCreek

• Where am I?
    • View Profile
Re: Noise while braking
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 04:15:59 PM »
Montero brake pads are pretty short lived. Just too small for weight. Its likely pads. You will get a sound warning you pads are done, bit if its a rubbing sound you are likely into the rotors.
My name is Lloyd. Cross overs are for chicks, I like my Woman hot and nasty, Pizza,(Courtesy of Pat for 2018) AC/DC and my favorite trails are Hole-N-The-Rock and Fordyce Creek.

1996 Montero, 37" BFG, 4:1 Rocktrac, 4:88, ARB and Factory Lockers, GPS Speedo, SAS
2015 4 Runner TRD Pro Inferno with sliders and a rack
2018 Flame Red Power Wagon. Luxo package and Dual Alternators. Sliders, Extra Skids, wireless remote. What the hell else do you need on a PW?

TOASTY

• Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 04:45:50 PM »
 The Powerstop pads are pretty good. Sounds like you mite be out of pad and into the rotors, have a look. if they are shiny still you're probably ok, if they are all rough and dull you need some rotors. sometimes certain brands of pads don't come with squeal tabs installed and people leave them off.

MrGalantguy

• Yes...I own Galants
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 06:57:51 AM »
Inspect your pads for wear...if they seem uneven you might want to inspect the caliper with the most uneven wear compared to the others.

Check if the slider pins are dry and may need to be relubed. Also inspect the rubber dust boots of the slider pins..sometimes they can rip causing moisture to dry out the lube.

Also inspect the caliper piston...if you can reset it easily or worse its seized then you will have to replace the caliper or rebuild it.
-1998 Montero (Winter package & Adjustable suspension)
-2002 Montero Limited
-1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000
-1996 Galant 4G64t 5spd
Owner of: Nostalgic JDM
Facebook: Nostalgic JDM
Business Instagram: @nostalgic_jdm407
Personal Instagram: @itsaboutfam

SACKofalltrades

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 09:51:33 AM »
Thank you for the quick responses. I'll be checking it out this weekend. Is any one running the Z32 drilled and slotted rotors from power stop, or seen a good review of them?

TOASTY

• Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 12:01:36 PM »
I have the slotted (not drilled) rotors and so far so good.

autobon7

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2018, 09:25:09 AM »
I have the slotted (not drilled) rotors and so far so good.

9 months since this post.....how are they holding up?

TOASTY

• Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2018, 12:45:44 PM »
 Still like brand new, I've put them through everything possible and they're still great. My truck stops 35's like nothing however I'm about to step down to a 301mm rotor and deleting ABS. Hopefully the Wilwood calipers and pads make up the difference, its just what's available for the D44 without spending $1000 on a front brake kit. It should be sufficient because some of our trucks didn't come with ABS and still had the 275mm rotors so I'm not worried.