Author Topic: Toyota transmission?  (Read 2232 times)

dieselrider

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
Toyota transmission?
« on: January 04, 2018, 03:14:24 PM »
Hey guys im glad i found this forum...seems as if there are very few of us out there (compared to the Toyota and jeep guys)...I'm fairly new to the Mitsubishi club, however Ive always known they were bomber rigs...so i made the leap from Toyota.   
So I have a question about the Toyota transmission referred to in the ADD's buyers guide that said  "Same transmission as many Toyota vehicles" for the Gen2 .
The reason why i ask is that I've done 3 Mercedes om617 diesel conversions to toyota transmissions, and now see the possibility for our montero's if this is true. 
The adapters available for the toyota transmissions are for H series, R150's, or the W56's... are any of these transmissions the same as my V5MT1 as stated on the plate on my firewall?  I understand if the bellhousing might be different, and if so is the Mitsubishi bellhousing removable or is it one unit?

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Stuff page updated regularly!
Re: Toyota transmission?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 03:31:03 PM »
Gen 2 after 1993 started using a version of the AW4 also designated A340 or 30-40LE

dieselrider

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 03:56:26 PM »
thanks Shovel, great info on the AT's...however i should have specified Manual transmission.  Is there another make and model # for the MT's other than V5MT1?   thanks

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Stuff page updated regularly!
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 04:27:41 PM »
thanks Shovel, great info on the AT's...however i should have specified Manual transmission.  Is there another make and model # for the MT's other than V5MT1?   thanks

I don't want to exceed my expertise so hopefully someone else can fill in the parts I don't have right..    the bellhousing that mates the AW4 to the Mitsubishi 3.5 is unique to Mitsubishi,  so the use of a "Toyota transmission" in the case of automatics is a whole different animal than the manuals.   

TOASTY

• Administrator
  • Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 04:54:48 PM »
 Our manual transmissions are Mitsu things, however there exists bellhousings to put R15X transmission.

dieselrider

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 10:32:54 PM »
cool thanks for the info guys...in simple terms I'm just wanting to mate an OM617 to a V5MT1...I've found a few posts on it, and if anyone has any other info or links that would lead me in the right direction that would be awesome...I'll keep you in the loop as to what I find for anyone who's interested.  thanks

IncorpoRatedX

• Not really the
  • Administrator
  • I'm big in Japan.
    • View Profile
    • Adventure Driven Design
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2018, 10:55:34 AM »
As others have said, the toyota reference was just for the auto's who share the Aisin trans. The auto trans makes up the bulk of the gen 2 montero owners. I would bet if there's info about swaps to the V5MT1 transmission; i'd expect to find it on a European, South American or Asian market forum where manual transmissions and diesel engines seem to be the norm.

Welcome to the board, great first question, stump all the pro's.

CharlieN

• Collector of Mitsubishi's dating back to '71
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2018, 04:53:18 PM »
For what it is worth the manual transmissions used in the newer Pajero Sport from are Asian Warner, AKA Toyota transmission. This coincides to when production was moved from Japan to the Laem Chabang factory in Thailand along side the L200. I have the PN for the V6 bellhousing around somewhere from my old G72RWD conversion site.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 05:16:59 PM by CharlieN »
Regards, Charlie N

TOASTY

• Administrator
  • Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2018, 05:41:25 PM »
 Glad to have you back, Charlie!

CharlieN

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2018, 06:29:12 PM »
Thank you Adam.
Regards, Charlie N

dieselrider

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2018, 09:02:13 PM »
OMG CharlieN this might be just the info im looking for... I had a hunch the V5MT1 was similar, and probably even in a toyota ie. tacoma, or 4Runner or similar global models.  When you say "I have the PN for the V6 bellhousing around somewhere"  is that a toyota v6 bellhousing?, and if so are you saying that it'll bolt to the V5MT1 gearbox?...  again just to keep the thread inline i'm wanting to adapt a OM617 mercedes diesel to the V5MT1, and there are adapters already for this swap to toyota 4,and 6 cyl.   thanks Charlie.

CharlieN

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2018, 04:42:26 AM »
The V5MT1 is not the same as the later Asian gearbox. This is a Mitsubishi manufactured unit with an iron main case. I do not recall if this gearbox was made in Japan or the Philippine factory.

The later gearbox in the Mitsu's is the the same as the Asian R151 series. The bellhousing info is for the Mitsubishi engines mated to the Asian gearbox. Toyota has a far different pattern. This is also essentially the AX-15 jeep transmission.
The Asian gearbox is made in China as most all Asian transmissions have been.

If you can get a bellhousing to mate your engine to a Toyota or a Jeep this later gearbox is of use to you.

I just took a look in my backups from my old forum and seems I only can view thumbnails and Have not found the text yet.
Regards, Charlie N

TOASTY

• Administrator
  • Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2018, 08:55:21 AM »
I've been scouring the parts programs looking for the bellhousing without luck, i did however find the Aisin automatic bellhousing for the 6B31 I think. The 6B31 is a great motor but i think one would need the matching flexplate, TC and fromt pump assy which would ne near impossible to get stateside. $$$$

CharlieN

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2018, 03:25:58 PM »
Are you using the Asian market ASA or the USA one? Those parts never came here. The Triton is one of the easier to look up. The Pn does not look like what we are used to.
I had the full world wide ASA till I downgraded my computer from XP to Win7 many years ago, just never took the time to reload everything.
Regards, Charlie N

TOASTY

• Administrator
  • Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2018, 05:30:33 PM »
 I was using South America, Japan was being buggy,