Author Topic: Extended brake lines  (Read 7188 times)

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
Extended brake lines
« on: January 05, 2018, 07:44:44 AM »
I'm guessing that with a 2" 4Crawler body lift and an ADD suspension lift, i'll be wanting some extended brake lines, right?

Is this a scenario where i just have them made locally?  Or does someone have a super secret source for them online?  I don't think i care much between oem-style or stainless braided.
1998 Montero Winter Package (For Sale)
1994 FZJ80 Land Cruiser (Wife's)
2006 V8 4Runner Sport Edition (Mine)

Crumb

Re: Extended brake lines
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 08:53:46 AM »
I had mine made locally.

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 08:59:26 AM »
I had mine made locally.

Get a string, measure length of each corner, add 3-4", bring to shop, hope they get it right?

I'm not going to be able to bring them the actual lines, as the install isn't happening locally, have to go down to Louisville to borrow shop/lift space, as my truck won't fit in my garage as it is, let alone with a fresh suspension.  :P

IncorpoRatedX

• Not really the
  • Administrator
  • I'm big in Japan.
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 12:01:43 PM »
I had mine made locally.

Get a string, measure length of each corner, add 3-4", bring to shop, hope they get it right?

I'm not going to be able to bring them the actual lines, as the install isn't happening locally, have to go down to Louisville to borrow shop/lift space, as my truck won't fit in my garage as it is, let alone with a fresh suspension.  :P

Maybe post in the wanted section for a used one, im thinking you only need the rear, I didn't need any for a 2" body lift with stock suspension, but the rear suspension lift and new flexibility will call for one in the back if you're ditching sways and getting the most out of the new suspension. Im not sure you'd need any fronts, adjustment of the hardline will be required for the body lift but the soft line connects to the hard line at the frame for the front brakes and the front suspension movement is limited by it's own geometry.

Adam? Thoughts?

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 12:17:29 PM »
Body lift is already installed, so if that's the case, that makes things a bit easier.  :)

Crumb

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 01:10:34 PM »
Right, only the rear center line needs to be extended. I believe there is a stainless kit on eBay for our trucks as well.

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2018, 02:20:07 PM »
Right, only the rear center line needs to be extended. I believe there is a stainless kit on eBay for our trucks as well.

Hrm... If it's just the rear center line, i can probably handle getting one of those before i get the truck on the lift, then.

Also:  Business opportunity for you dudes!  Start stocking those!  Probably run $15-20 at local hydraulic shop, easily sell it for $40-50 as a lift add on for convenience rather than having to deal with it ourselves? 

I've seen a couple stainless Pajero kits.  All that i've found are hideously overpriced.

PA_JERO

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2018, 03:02:11 PM »
Retail on a stainless center line will run $40-$50. I would have to pull all of my reciepts out to see exactly what I spent, but I replaced every single rubber brake line with stainless. I probably spent over $200 for the whole truck. I did this with a store here locally though, I want to change my fronts and I should have made my rear caliper lines about an a 1/2" to an "1 longer because of the new fittings, but it all works.

For the time being on the rear centerline, you should just need to relocate one brake line strap down a couple inches. I can also go to the store and pull my part numbers and measurements for what they did on mine and post up the specs.

ChargerX3

• I'm new here!
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2018, 07:31:59 PM »
I would say most complete sets that are worthwhile and DOT certified run $200 or better. Iím working on a permanent solution that might happen in the next month or two. Probably do a group buy and for less.

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2018, 07:21:42 AM »
I would say most complete sets that are worthwhile and DOT certified run $200 or better. Iím working on a permanent solution that might happen in the next month or two. Probably do a group buy and for less.

Miata kits are $100, but i'm sure that's partially due to there being a huge market.

ChargerX3

• I'm new here!
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2018, 02:11:54 PM »
That could be a part of the equation but that is low for all 4 lines. Might also take into account the length and complexity of the fittings.

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2018, 02:22:44 PM »
That could be a part of the equation but that is low for all 4 lines. Might also take into account the length and complexity of the fittings.

They're longer than what i've seen on my Gen2, but each is just a metric banjo at caliper, and a female flare at hard line end.  And a replacement 3 way for the rear joint.

I dunno, i've put SS braided lines on 6 different platforms in my ownership, don't think i've ever paid more than $130, and that's name brand stuff. 

If it's $200 for Monteros because reasons, that's fine, it is what it is.  :)

kalieracer

• I'm new here!
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2018, 01:10:14 PM »
I have extended lines on both trucks. I had a special set made for 2 inch lift + 40mm for the larger brake rotors. These are nice lines (rubber coated, and correctly fitted to 97+ trucks). The reason these kits are expensive is the front line construction. It requires 6 fittings per front line + the length. 92-96 trucks have 7 lines in total. I am willing to bet that Miata lines are short and only have 4 fittings per line (fitting + crimp sleeve). They made 3 sets so if you need / want them

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pajero-NK-NL-2-inch-Lift-with-Challenger-315mm-front-discs-SAFEBRAKE/183006456342?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

They're longer than what i've seen on my Gen2, but each is just a metric banjo at caliper, and a female flare at hard line end.  And a replacement 3 way for the rear joint.

I dunno, i've put SS braided lines on 6 different platforms in my ownership, don't think i've ever paid more than $130, and that's name brand stuff. 

If it's $200 for Monteros because reasons, that's fine, it is what it is.  :)

Crumb

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2018, 07:37:15 PM »
I was going to but i was worried about DOT compliance and stuff.

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2018, 07:02:11 AM »
I was going to but i was worried about DOT compliance and stuff.

"For Off Road Use Only."

Handled it!   :P