Author Topic: Extended brake lines  (Read 9876 times)

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
Re: Extended brake lines
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2018, 07:04:47 AM »
I have extended lines on both trucks. I had a special set made for 2 inch lift + 40mm for the larger brake rotors. These are nice lines (rubber coated, and correctly fitted to 97+ trucks). The reason these kits are expensive is the front line construction. It requires 6 fittings per front line + the length. 92-96 trucks have 7 lines in total. I am willing to bet that Miata lines are short and only have 4 fittings per line (fitting + crimp sleeve). They made 3 sets so if you need / want them

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pajero-NK-NL-2-inch-Lift-with-Challenger-315mm-front-discs-SAFEBRAKE/183006456342?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

That could be a part of the equation but that is low for all 4 lines. Might also take into account the length and complexity of the fittings.

They're longer than what i've seen on my Gen2, but each is just a metric banjo at caliper, and a female flare at hard line end.  And a replacement 3 way for the rear joint.

I dunno, i've put SS braided lines on 6 different platforms in my ownership, don't think i've ever paid more than $130, and that's name brand stuff. 

If it's $200 for Monteros because reasons, that's fine, it is what it is.  :)

Hrm maybe.  This is the $95 kit that's on both my current cars:

1998 Montero Winter Package (For Sale)
1994 FZJ80 Land Cruiser (Wife's)
2006 V8 4Runner Sport Edition (Mine)

kalieracer

• I'm new here!
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2018, 09:36:09 PM »
I called around a bit and most places want 190-250 to make a full set of lines..

I have extended lines on both trucks. I had a special set made for 2 inch lift + 40mm for the larger brake rotors. These are nice lines (rubber coated, and correctly fitted to 97+ trucks). The reason these kits are expensive is the front line construction. It requires 6 fittings per front line + the length. 92-96 trucks have 7 lines in total. I am willing to bet that Miata lines are short and only have 4 fittings per line (fitting + crimp sleeve). They made 3 sets so if you need / want them

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pajero-NK-NL-2-inch-Lift-with-Challenger-315mm-front-discs-SAFEBRAKE/183006456342?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

That could be a part of the equation but that is low for all 4 lines. Might also take into account the length and complexity of the fittings.

They're longer than what i've seen on my Gen2, but each is just a metric banjo at caliper, and a female flare at hard line end.  And a replacement 3 way for the rear joint.

I dunno, i've put SS braided lines on 6 different platforms in my ownership, don't think i've ever paid more than $130, and that's name brand stuff. 

If it's $200 for Monteros because reasons, that's fine, it is what it is.  :)

ChargerX3

• I'm new here!
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2018, 05:16:29 PM »

Those lines pictured are not DOT Compliant lines. I would not run those. Hose are some of the cheapest built lines out there.

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2018, 06:25:07 PM »

Those lines pictured are not DOT Compliant lines. I would not run those. Hose are some of the cheapest built lines out there.

They are DOT approved and used on the majority of successful Miata race cars built in the last decade.

ChargerX3

• I'm new here!
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2018, 07:46:28 PM »
Part of the certification process is having the manufacturers name in large capital letters on each line. They are non existent in this pic.

A lot of these knock off brands claim to meet the cert process but quite a few donít. These are no exception. Also not a fan of the plastic sleeve. Cheap.

Here is a proper line.

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2018, 06:58:41 AM »
Ok.  Seems we're getting hung up on "DOT-compliant" vs. "DOT-Approved."  I'm ok with "DOT-Approved," which entails no formal certification, acceptable risk for my uses, in the context of having a test market prior to me coming around of several millions of miles without anyone trying to sue these companies for failed brake lines.  I don't personally care much what the government thinks of my brake lines.  They're not the ones installing or using them.

The semi-ridgid plastic-ish black parts on the lines are for strain relief.  It's a feature, not a shortcut.

So anyways, Montero lines are $200-$250 and that's just the way it is.  Fine by me.  No problem.  I'll either get those or just have a custom rear line made and price out new OEM rubber everywhere else.  :)

ChargerX3

• I'm new here!
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2018, 12:39:28 PM »
There is more to the process than just printing the name. Manufactures have to conform to build standards and a series of tests. That way you are virtually guaranteed not to have a failure.

Failures happen. Why not spend a little more from a reputable company that will stand behind their product and your safety. In this case you want to lift the truck for off-road. I would rather feel confident that when I articulate my suspension while on say... the rubicon, I wonít have to worry about brake failure.

In the end itís your choice. Is a small premium worth the added assurance that your brakes meet DOT Cert and wonít fail? Up to you. I had the opportunity to go the non certified route with this group buy and quickly changed my mind. Iím hoping to have a final solution for us by end of next month. Will be all USA DOT compliant product built here of course and shooting for below the $200 mark on most models.

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2018, 12:57:31 PM »
There is more to the process than just printing the name. Manufactures have to conform to build standards and a series of tests. That way you are virtually guaranteed not to have a failure.

Failures happen. Why not spend a little more from a reputable company that will stand behind their product and your safety. In this case you want to lift the truck for off-road. I would rather feel confident that when I articulate my suspension while on say... the rubicon, I wonít have to worry about brake failure.

In the end itís your choice. Is a small premium worth the added assurance that your brakes meet DOT Cert and wonít fail? Up to you. I had the opportunity to go the non certified route with this group buy and quickly changed my mind. Iím hoping to have a final solution for us by end of next month. Will be all USA DOT compliant product built here of course and shooting for below the $200 mark on most models.

I agree with you.  I am unaware of DOT-certified hoses made for my race car.  I use what is good, what everyone else uses.

We're on the same page, but DOT-certified, DOT-compliant, and DOT-approved all mean different things lol.  I just want good stuff. If you're work on good stuff, i like that option.  I also like the other good stuff option that Kalieracer was referencing.  I don't mind paying for good stuff.  Cutting corners on brakes isn't something i do. 

evomaki

• I'm new here!
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2018, 07:39:56 PM »
Hey Guys,

Don't mean to jump into the middle of a good thing going here, but one option might be Pegasus Auto Racing Supplies.  They have a very comprehensive catalogue of all kinds of hose and fittings.  They have pre-made Goodrich brake lines for fairly cheap that run AN female to AN female on each end.  They have straights, 90's and a mix.  To that you would purchase the appropriate fittings which run from metric flare to AN male, one on each side, caliper and hard line.  I did a brake lines for an old BMW track car years ago from these guys.  I ran Wilwood calipers to metric flare hard lines on that car from Pegasus.  Worked great.  Just an idea.

kalieracer

• I'm new here!
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2018, 08:11:20 PM »
More places for leaks.. There a dozens of shops that can make DOT approved lines, they do it call day.

Hey Guys,

Don't mean to jump into the middle of a good thing going here, but one option might be Pegasus Auto Racing Supplies.  They have a very comprehensive catalogue of all kinds of hose and fittings.  They have pre-made Goodrich brake lines for fairly cheap that run AN female to AN female on each end.  They have straights, 90's and a mix.  To that you would purchase the appropriate fittings which run from metric flare to AN male, one on each side, caliper and hard line.  I did a brake lines for an old BMW track car years ago from these guys.  I ran Wilwood calipers to metric flare hard lines on that car from Pegasus.  Worked great.  Just an idea.