Author Topic: Trail Etiquette - Traveling With a Group  (Read 1750 times)

JohnnyBfromPeoria

• I'm Getting Around To It
  • Get Off My Lawn! Or gravel, or whatever it is!
Trail Etiquette - Traveling With a Group
« on: January 07, 2018, 06:42:57 PM »
This one's a pretty basic set of tenets that can be added to, but it covers a couple of things I feel are worth mentioning that might seem like basic common sense, but often get overlooked or ignored. Remember that not everyone knows the trail as well as you do, not everyone has the same skill set or equipment capability you do and not everyone drives the same speed or with the same level of comfort you do at a given speed.

1. You're RESPONSIBLE for the vehicle behind you. Don't leave them! If you like going fast and glance back every 30 seconds or so and don't see the truck back there, slow down or wait. You're the one that'll have to go back and get them and you don't want to have to track back a mile to find them waiting for your help. WAIT at trail splits and alternate route junctions.

2. You're also in charge of not pissing off the person in front of you. So turn off those high beams, the great LED lights you just got and mind that you're not pulling a 'Jay Leno' by having a signal on for the past half mile. And don't tailgate. Those who know me KNOW how much I can't stand it. I'm guilty of it too, and I try, but a two second following distance isn't all that hard.

3. Flash your high beams a few times if you need the vehicle in front of you to stop. They probably can't hear you, but the lights attract attention quickly. If you are following point number 1 above, you'll probably see them, too.

Got any more? Please add them below.

John B.
AZ Crew/East Sider/Former 14th St Crew
95 SR, 35x12.5-15 on 8" steelies, 2" BL, stuff cut off, stuff welded on, lights, sound, front ARB pending
87 Raider, There's a turbo 2.6 under its hood, really
83 "Dodge" Power Ram 50, a bit lifted, way slow and gets more comments from random people than the other two put together
'95 Montero SR. Pretty much stock, Trail Gear Sliders, ADD skid plates, Stereo by Shovel, Timing maintenance by Pa_Jero

Crumb

Re: Trail Etiquette - Traveling With a Group
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 07:14:24 PM »
I'm guilty of getting a little ahead but i always stop at junctions, this is a tough one for most. Good posts JBFP (who ditched me in Utah at the fork?)

JohnnyBfromPeoria

• I'm Getting Around To It
  • Get Off My Lawn! Or gravel, or whatever it is!
Re: Trail Etiquette - Traveling With a Group
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 08:05:28 PM »
I don't remember if it was me or not, but that's a great example of how we ended up losing the group behind us for something like an hour. That also caused you to lose your radio, and that didn't help matters either, but at least you found us and the radio turned up on the side of the road the next day and still works.

John B.

AZ Crew/East Sider/Former 14th St Crew
95 SR, 35x12.5-15 on 8" steelies, 2" BL, stuff cut off, stuff welded on, lights, sound, front ARB pending
87 Raider, There's a turbo 2.6 under its hood, really
83 "Dodge" Power Ram 50, a bit lifted, way slow and gets more comments from random people than the other two put together
'95 Montero SR. Pretty much stock, Trail Gear Sliders, ADD skid plates, Stereo by Shovel, Timing maintenance by Pa_Jero