Author Topic: Front Axle Oil Seal Leaking  (Read 670 times)

coffeegoat

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
Front Axle Oil Seal Leaking
« on: January 08, 2018, 08:56:03 AM »
I've got a front axle leak on my 2001 Montero Limited, the RHS right between the flex axle/differential mount and the inner shaft, next to where it bolts up to the left CV assembly.  The leak showed up after a 30-40 miles in 4WD in the snow a couple weeks back.  I did a quick check and it doesn't look like the breather port is blocked, and the fluid was replaced roughly 6 months back with fresh GL-5.  It's a pretty slow leak, but there isn't much oil in the diff so wouldn't take too long for it to run dry on me. 

Has anyone replaced the RHS (passenger in US markets) front axle oil seal?  I've found a few different posts on the LHS (drivers side in US markets) axle seal replacement but nothing yet on the RHS.  The LHS looks pretty straight forward, pull the half shaft/CV assembly and you have direct access to the seal, on the RHS there is that extension tube and the entire freewheel actuator assembly.  From the FSM it looks like you end up disassembling the entire RHS of the differential/axle to get access to the seal, which sounds like a complete PITA.  I'm hoping I'm wrong here and this is actually a simple job, that would be nice for once...

*Edit to fix the incorrect RHS/LHS
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 02:51:45 PM by coffeegoat »

TOASTY

• Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
Re: Front Axle Oil Seal Leaking
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 12:55:52 PM »
Make sure the CV isn't planning on popping out soon, that could be why it started leaking suddenly. Try pushing it back in, the seal replacement isn't a bad job but i do these things sometimes. Also your vehicle's left is your left while you're sitting in it.

coffeegoat

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 02:53:37 PM »
I'll get it up on a jack stand and give it a wiggle.  I had it up last week to replace the antenna and didn't notice any play, but I'll take a closer look.  If I have to tear it all apart to fix the seal maybe that'll motivate me to get my act together and replace the springs while I'm in there...

haolepinoy

• My Montero Hates Me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 02:36:19 PM »
Any update CG?
'03 Montero Limited - being repaired slightly faster than it's falling apart (debatable)

Middle-earth by Montero

My Friend's Super Epic Build Thread

coffeegoat

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 03:45:12 PM »
Nope, it's a small leak (couple drops a week) so I've been waiting until a few house projects are done and I had new springs ready to install to tear into it...