Author Topic: 1983 Dodge Power Ram  (Read 9907 times)

JohnnyBfromPeoria

• I'm Getting Around To It
  • Global Moderator
  • Get Off My Lawn! Or gravel, or whatever it is!
    • View Profile
1983 Dodge Power Ram
« on: January 11, 2018, 06:55:17 PM »
I'm gonna buy this badass mofo from Jorge. I can't even remember how much new stuff we even put into it since he got it, and it had been daily driven for quite a while by both Jorge and "Mas Macho" (his Dad), so it's got some better than before things and some worse than before things.

I seem to remember it has a newer battery now. That's a good thing. The BFG A/T's on the SR 7" wheels are kinda worn down. That's a "meh" thing. The air conditioning worked for almost a whole day. That's kinda good, right? Jorge "sort of" reupholstered the seats, so that has to be good. There's a fairly fresh engine in it, but it seems to have developed a bunch of oil drips, so that's good AND bad. Overall, I just want it to haul things around town, go to the dump, get stuff from Home Depot and stuff a pickup likes to do without spending "Clay/Kevin Money" on it. They're the big-time. I'm not.

I'll get it cleaned up super duper good and report back on what I might do to it next. Just for the record, it's a 2.6, Mikuni carb, 3-speed auto, 4WD and differs from the Mighty Max mostly in appearance, as it has four rectangular headlights instead of two (try finding a front grill for that). I DO know it needs a fan shroud, in case anybody trips on one. The OE was plastic, so when the wind blew, it disintegrated.

John B.
President, CEO/CFO, BMOC, JBFP Heavy Industries
AZ Crew/East Sider/Former 14th St Crew
95 SR, 35x12.5-15 on 8" steelies, 2" BL, stuff cut off, stuff welded on, lights, sound, front ARB pending
87 Raider, There's a turbo 2.6 under its hood, really
83 "Dodge" Power Ram 50, a bit lifted, way slow and gets more comments from random people than the other two put together
'95 Montero SR. Pretty much stock, Trail Gear Sliders, ADD skid plates, Stereo by Shovel, Timing maintenance by Pa_Jero

IncorpoRatedX

• Not really the
  • Administrator
  • I'm big in Japan.
    • View Profile
    • Adventure Driven Design
Re: 1983 Dodge Power Ram
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 07:39:40 PM »
EAST SIDE MIGHTY MAX GANG!

TOASTY

• Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 08:47:35 PM »
 Awe yeah! That is a NICE machine!

JohnnyBfromPeoria

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 09:01:09 PM »
Jorge and HoseB delivered the truck to me on Friday night. Saturday, I power washed the engine and underside and changed the oil to conventional Rotella 15W-40 with a shitty STP oil filter because Auto Zone had one of those. I'll watch the oil color and see how much it leaks before deciding if it's worth using anything better.

This thing has glass fuses - old school. I had to pop in a new 10 amp to get the brake lights firing again. I think Jorge may have used the truck to pull a trailer and that may have been how/why the fuse blew, as they continue to work now. I do remember we went around the entire exterior of the truck a year or so ago and cleaned each socket and bulb base and lubed them all with a little dielectric grease and cleaned the insides of the lenses.

I'll need to dig out a battery hold-down, since it doesn't have one and the battery likes to unplug the driver's side headlight regularly. I also recall getting new headlights for the truck fairly recently (all four). I selected Wagner TruView Xenon, which look kind of yellowish when you look at them, but they light up the road really well and supposedly don't have the glare issue for oncoming drivers. The high beams really punch down the road, and I appreciate the four different elements at that point.

I transferred the title and got a new plate. It passed emissions last year in May so I was able to renew until May of 2019...$45.33, and that was at a third party place since I'm always working during regular DMV hours and can't get there. I may get a special plate, or a personalized one. Like maybe JBFP INC or PWRRM50. I don't think they'll allow stuff like RAMMER8. But who knows? I'll have to pony up with my insurance company tomorrow, but that shouldn't be bad at all...third vehicle...

I drove a total of about 80 miles in it this weekend, quite a bit of it on the freeway. It's v-e-r-y slow getting up to speed (the secondary isn't operating - initial diagnosis, since I can't hear the deep throated sound it should make) but it holds 65 mph for the most part. I recorded 10.8 mpg, which is terrible. The last time I drove it, I was getting at least 18. Since I'm just a rebel anyway, I ordered a rebuilt from Guaranteed Carburetors. Jorge and I had real good luck with them when we got a carb for his 86. I mean it worked perfectly right out of the box and they're not that expensive at $240, shipped with a core return tag included. Between having a choke that actually works and a functional secondary, it ought to put it back on its game. The new-to-us engine has been in there for about 10K miles, as I saw when I opened the glovebox and saw the note I placed on the inside of the door that listed oil change, coolant flush and re-engining with the mileage.

Jorge had some extra (Raider) seats, extra tail light assemblies and the skid plates that haven't been installed since the engine was replaced. Josh has expressed some possible interest in borrowing them to make improved skid plate pieces, but we'll have to see if a market is there for them.

The front suspension/steering is worn. Aside from the idler and Pitman arms, the rest of the gear there "appears" to be standard Gen 1 tie rods/ball joints and bushings. Fortunately, I have a vehicle with lifetime warrantied parts at my disposal (well, it USED to be mine, and still is as far as "Brand X" auto parts stores knows) and I know the guys that import some pretty good bushings I can buy... I'll probably need to con Shovel into helping me with the set-up, since he has the nifty camber level and knows a thing or three about setting caster (which IS adjustable on these). Once again, the press I have will come in handy for the upper ball joints, should they need to be replaced (they will be replaced).

Tires are 31x10.5 BFG KO (1's) on the SR 15x7 wheels. Tires will have to do for now. Shocks are fairly new KYB gas-a-just up front and Rancho dial-adjust somethings on the rear that Toasty put on. Jorge and I replaced most, but not all of the rear leaf spring bushings, since it has a shackle lift on it and stock bushings wouldn't fit one of the positions.

The transfer case grinds when accelerating, but if you pull the transfer case selector lever toward the rear, it goes away. The console likely needs some minor trimming to allow the lever to come back fully.

Between Jorge and "Mas Macho," (his Dad), they made new door and behind-the-seat cards and Jorge covered them with some cool looking fabric. Some seat covers will help, whichever seats end up in it (what's an improvement, really comfortable, heated, and fits?!). It needs a center console (never equipped) or seats with armrests. The seats are right down on the floor in these, so bouncy frames aren't going to work, but with such a long wheelbase, it doesn't really matter. This truck feels pretty smooth overall, except for the tired front end. It could use carpet, but I haven't even looked to see if it's available. I'll check Rock Auto. Shovel says there's like only one manufacturer of aftermarket replacement carpet but it's sold by several different retailers; I just happen to like Rock Auto's magnets and I need more of them.

Looks like depth-wise, I can fit 6.5" door speakers IF I have the later Gen 1 speaker boxes from the mid-panel area, the ones with an aluminum frame the speaker mounts into that limits the speaker's depth, since the window would hit the magnet of any aftermarket speaker. The stock cut-outs are for 5 1/4" speakers, but with the extend-o-frames, 6.5's will fit without cutting anything. All of mine are in use, so if anybody comes across some frames, not speakers, I'll buy 'em.

The radio placement is another issue. This truck has the original am/fm high in the dash (and it's knob-style; one knob on either side of the face) and the only way to get to it is to remove the dash. I'm not that industrious. Neither was a previous owner, since they strapped on(!) an under-dash am/fm/cassette unit on the passenger side. Had they been a bit more creative, I'm willing to bet a single or even double-DIN would fit in the cubby down low. Again, something to consult with Shovel about. Not sure if there's any room for a wedge sub behind the seats, but it would need one, I'd say.

I have a friend who's really, really good at window tinting and has been doing it for 30 years. I may have him do this job since it's pretty straight forward (solid rear window, not a split-opening, door glass doesn't have wing windows and I'm probably too tall for a visor strip on this one) and I do NOT attempt to tint windows. Anybody know if door window moldings (inner and outer) are still available for this truck? My Windows 7 machine doesn't like the ASA program and won't let me download it so I can't check there.

More as I think of it. Appreciate any suggestions!

John B.
95 SR, 35x12.5-15 on 8" steelies, 2" BL, stuff cut off, stuff welded on, lights, sound, front ARB pending
83 "Dodge" Power Ram 50, a bit lifted, way slow and gets more comments from random people than the other two put together
'95 Montero SR. Pretty much stock, Trail Gear Sliders, ADD skid plates, Stereo by Shovel, Timing maintenance by Pa_Jero

TOASTY

• Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 09:18:58 PM »
New carb should have that thing in the mid 20's for mpg, it got great milage when Kevin and i took it to the Rim. 

JohnnyBfromPeoria

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 05:24:00 AM »
I agree Toasty. Every other time I drove it, I beat every Montero on mileage that was traveling with me. I figured by the time I fixed the vacuum secondary and then tracked down the issue it has with a miss/stumble at mid-throttle, I'd have spent so much time and effort on it that I'd wish I had just gone this route. Hopefully it works out. Hopefully they also have one already rebuilt. Jorge tried to order one for the 85, but they needed him to send in the old one because they didn't have any, and as a result, it didn't get done. I'll be listening for my phone over the next couple of days.

John B.

TOASTY

• Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2018, 10:49:12 AM »
Call Pat, he got a non feedback Mikuni for his. Probably has a source or maybe a core, the sucky thing is that i had a few at one point.

RXIN HED

• Global Moderator
  • Montero Ranch
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2018, 05:32:51 PM »
Pics?
1988 Max SPX Extended Cab 4wd with Service Body & Starion Power
1980 Dodge W400 service truck

For Sale: 1983 Montero #277, 1989 Power Ram 50 extended cab
Sundry Gen 1 Montero and Gen 1 & 2 Mighty Max parts and vehicles for sale

JohnnyBfromPeoria

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2018, 07:14:33 PM »
Not sure anybody posted a how-to on posting pictures on here. I can upload them to show as an attachment, but where is the tutorial on posting pictures inline?

John B.

TOASTY

• Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2018, 07:49:08 PM »
https://www.adventuredrivendesign.com/forums/index.php/topic,210.0.html

In short, attach your pic amd then hit insert inline next to it.

JohnnyBfromPeoria

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2018, 07:52:57 PM »
Call Pat, he got a non feedback Mikuni for his. Probably has a source or maybe a core, the sucky thing is that i had a few at one point.

I know I wrote a lot up there, but I already ordered one. I like their "exact fit" system and the fact that they are guaranteed for as long as I own the truck.

I looked at the spare seats Jorge included with the truck. I guess to my surprise, Montero seats look like they bolt right in once their base is removed. That retains the flip forward, back and forth travel and the recline, as if there's any room to recline, because there isn't.

I asked Shovel several questions about Noico sound deadener tonight. He's used and liked it, so I'm going to order a 50 s.f. carton of the 50 mil product. That'll kick off the interior work, so I can strip out the nasty-ass carpet, remove the door and rear, behind the seat panels and clean all the surfaces to get ready for it. There is no headliner at present. All that should get the stuff and 50 s.f. should come close to doing it all.

Then it'll need new carpet. Shit's expensive, as in almost $200 just for a measly little compartment like this one, but that's for the super-plush with mass backing stuff that's pretty well pre-formed. It's a P.I.T.A. to install because it has to be trimmed all around and things cut out for console, shifters and every bolt hole, plus heated and formed for final fit. I don't think I want some crazy color, like Shovel did his in. Maybe dark grey.

I've heard about Cabela's having decent seat covers, but not sure if they sell the size for Montero seats; guess I'll check. I also don't think I'll go the custom picture route like Shovel, mainly because I can't really think of anything I'd want to have. He already took the beans idea.

John B.

JohnnyBfromPeoria

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2018, 04:09:42 AM »

« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 05:05:12 PM by IncorpoRatedX »

TOASTY

• Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2018, 07:43:39 AM »
Everyone needs to keep an eye out for a factory rollbar for that thing, that would be the icing on the cake.

JohnnyBfromPeoria

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2018, 07:27:49 PM »
A roll bar would like mighty 80-ish and cool.

The rebuilt carb shipped today and is due in Saturday. Noico sound deadener ordered this morning will be here next week. Going to start there. Got an exhaust leak to fix, probably just a tighten-up thing. Then I'll have a look for those pesky leaks under the hood. Should be a fun truck to drive with real two barrel power; I remember my carbed Monteros would run pretty darn well with a fully functional Mikuni. I haven't heard a bit of pre-det at any throttle setting, so I'll see where it's set and if it can stand a bit more initial advance, will also check the centrifugal and vacuum advance. I still have that set of P235/60R-15's in case I feel like doing smoky burnouts with the LSD rear, for scientific purposes, of course. The rubber on those tires is so old it'll light up like tinder, I'm sure, plus the back end of that truck weighs next to nothing. Might make a good GoPro video.

John B.

TOASTY

• Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2018, 07:56:19 PM »
http://www.nationalautobody.com/catalognab/product_info.php?cPath=2224_2265_2964&products_id=4732

These guys might have a new grill for that hog, black or chrome. Too bad the 2 light grill won't go, those look mean.