Author Topic: 1983 Dodge Power Ram  (Read 9326 times)

JohnnyBfromPeoria

• I'm Getting Around To It
  • Global Moderator
  • Get Off My Lawn! Or gravel, or whatever it is!
    • View Profile
Re: 1983 Dodge Power Ram
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2018, 08:56:24 PM »
I like the four light set up, myself. Thanks for the link. Any idea if window molding is available? Both inner and outer are shot.

Tried test fitting a set of my 88+ Montero speaker extension brackets to the door cut-outs and it looks like they won't fit without some work, as it appears the window crank handle will hit the speaker bracket as it goes around. Which kind of sucks. Then I'd be stuck with 5 1/4" speakers and they'd have to be really skinny, depth-wise or the window itself will hit the magnet as it goes down fully. Which sucks.

John B.
AZ Crew/East Sider/Former 14th St Crew
95 SR, 35x12.5-15 on 8" steelies, 2" BL, stuff cut off, stuff welded on, lights, sound, front ARB pending
87 Raider, There's a turbo 2.6 under its hood, really
83 "Dodge" Power Ram 50, a bit lifted, way slow and gets more comments from random people than the other two put together
'95 Montero SR. Pretty much stock, Trail Gear Sliders, ADD skid plates, Stereo by Shovel, Timing maintenance by Pa_Jero

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Stuff page updated regularly!
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2018, 12:28:23 PM »

Tried test fitting a set of my 88+ Montero speaker extension brackets to the door cut-outs and it looks like they won't fit without some work, as it appears the window crank handle will hit the speaker bracket as it goes around. Which kind of sucks. Then I'd be stuck with 5 1/4" speakers and they'd have to be really skinny, depth-wise or the window itself will hit the magnet as it goes down fully. Which sucks.

John B.

You don't want to go "period" ?   

JohnnyBfromPeoria

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2018, 08:53:12 PM »
Not even sure something like those would even fit behind the seats; there's very little room. BUT, a Bazooka 6.5" tube will fit, barely. I've had a decent experience with them in the past, they're just expensive, is all. "Some" bass plus a pair of 5.25" two-ways in the doors and a decent in-dash shoved into the pocket under the center gauges would probably be too good for this truck...scratch that...would barely do this truck justice, but would be all I'm willing to spend.

Noico to be delivered 1/19; carb should be here 1/20. It begins...

John B.
95 SR, 35x12.5-15 on 8" steelies, 2" BL, stuff cut off, stuff welded on, lights, sound, front ARB pending
83 "Dodge" Power Ram 50, a bit lifted, way slow and gets more comments from random people than the other two put together
'95 Montero SR. Pretty much stock, Trail Gear Sliders, ADD skid plates, Stereo by Shovel, Timing maintenance by Pa_Jero

RXIN HED

• Global Moderator
  • Montero Ranch
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2018, 10:33:24 PM »
Smittybilt-like double tube toolbar in my local yard, has 4 light tabs
1988 Max SPX Extended Cab 4wd with Service Body & Starion Power
1980 Dodge W400 service truck

For Sale: 1983 Montero #277, 1989 Power Ram 50 extended cab
Sundry Gen 1 Montero and Gen 1 & 2 Mighty Max parts and vehicles for sale

JohnnyBfromPeoria

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2018, 07:32:08 AM »
Well, my gol durn carb didn't make it here this weekend. And when I try to track it through UPS they don't have anything since Thursday, so I have no idea...

I drove the truck to the good times rock and roll show put on by the band with members Pa_Jero, Stroker Explosion and LordTrunks last night, which was fiery and appropriately loud, as well as a demonstration of technical proficiency, and I must say I wouldn't be surprised to find that pieces of this old carb are just falling off of it somewhere. It took me from one entrance ramp to the next exit ramp, about a mile, to get up to 65 mph. If the throttle isn't floored or nearly so, it misses pretty badly and there's an immediate drop-off in power. The exhaust leak makes it sound pretty comical. And I love it. So fun to drive, in a weird sort of way.

I did some cross-checking on part numbers and found, yes indeed, the only unique steering components are the idler and Pitman, and everything else is straight-up Gen 1. Suspension-wise, there's some confusion regarding the upper ball joints, but that's no big deal, as they're super cheap anyway. Since the upper arms use shaft kits, I'll only need the lower a-arm bushings from the Siberian collection, as the truck does not have a front sway bar.

Going to get the windows tinted today. I'll try to remember to take a camera. I have my friend Keith do my work, his company is Stick To It Window Tinting, and if you want his number, let me know. Lots of people do tint work, but he's been doing mine for over 25 years, only uses the best product and stands behind his work.

Oh, I've been looking at sourcing a light for the cargo bed, since both the dome light and the cargo light are gone by now. I wonder if this'll work:  https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/led-dome-light-fixtures-non-waterproof/trailerrv-exterior-led-flood-lights-180-watt-equivalent-1800-lumens/4413/
Still deciding on an interior dome set-up.

John B.

RXIN HED

• Global Moderator
  • Montero Ranch
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2018, 11:26:01 AM »
1988 Max SPX Extended Cab 4wd with Service Body & Starion Power
1980 Dodge W400 service truck

For Sale: 1983 Montero #277, 1989 Power Ram 50 extended cab
Sundry Gen 1 Montero and Gen 1 & 2 Mighty Max parts and vehicles for sale

JohnnyBfromPeoria

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

JohnnyBfromPeoria

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2018, 09:10:31 PM »
I ran the truck up to an indicated 120 miles on the trip meter today, running in to Phoenix for the window tint and then picking up some kitchen cabinets that were taken out of an old house that's being renovated. With odometer correction for the 10% bigger tires, that's 132 miles. It took 14 gallons of gas for a 9.43 mpg figure of mainly highway driving. Then I drove the actual mileage of 36 home and the gas gauge reads at half, so if that's 7 gallons, figure that was around 5.1 mpg. The new carb should pay for itself pretty quickly, but I figure that's still pretty cheap for half a kitchen's worth of kitchen cabinets (that's all that would fit today).

Got the windows tinted, meaning the solid back window (one step lighter than "limo") and the AZ legal level on the side doors. Turned out great, but like always, it highlights the scratches the tracks have made in the glass (luckily on the outside of the glass, mainly). $80.

John B.

JohnnyBfromPeoria

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2018, 05:31:16 AM »
Been working stupid, crazy hours, so didn't get a chance to do much until last night, when I still didn't do too much. I removed the old carb, which looked decent, but I could visually tell it has been a while since that secondary had opened. I have to transfer the automatic transmission portion of the carb linkage over to the new carb. I also want to pick up some new 3/8" hose to replace the coolant lines, since that's no fun to do in 110 degrees in a Lowes parking lot, as I have done before. The EGR passages had gunked up, so I'll remove that device and clean out what I can get to.

Of a more pressing note, the bottom of the air cleaner housing had a lot of oil in it. The only sensible solution would say to me that I have an issue with the PCV valve, since there's only a breather that could let oil in there, so I'll be checking that next time. It was a couple of tablespoon's worth.

John B.

JohnnyBfromPeoria

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2018, 06:17:50 PM »
I installed the new carb this morning and went for a test drive. All seemed well until I attempted highway speed and had some serious misfire issues. That's not good. At least the new carb got rid of the miss at partial throttle and it actually has a choke that functions, I said to myself.

I came back home and hooked up my timing light. The initial advance was several degrees beyond what I would use, at maybe ten degrees. So I started investigating whether the centrifugal advance was working (A-O.K) and then checked for vacuum on the disconnected-for-testing vacuum advance. There was no vacuum, so I glanced along the line and saw it was connected to a tee that came off the thermo-valve, which is wrong. Somewhere along the line, and before me, somebody switched/mixed up the vac. line that normally goes to the air cleaner for carb pre-heat and the vac. advance line to the distributor. I reset the initial advance to "That Looks About Right" at around 8 deg. BTDC and connected the lines the way I figured they should be, as there's no underhood sticker and I cannot be bothered to look anything up in a factory service manual or anything. What do you know, it runs like a champ and holds 70+ on the freeway at about 1/2 throttle. And after putting on about 40 miles, the gas gauge barely budged, which is more like it.

But the fan clutch is crap and it's running hotter than it used to. I may have introduced a nasty air bubble in the system when I disconnected the carb's 3/8" lines and let some coolant drain out before removing the old carb, too. Mr. A.D.D. himself, Josh, witnessed me driving down the road and called me while I was out test driving and talked me off the ledge - he may have a clutch for me. Meanwhile, I have to jack the front of the truck up and take the front wheels off to grease the squeaky points anyway, so hopefully I'll chase any air out while it's nose-high.

So then I set to work getting the old crust that used to be carpet out. That's interesting, as in, kind of gross. And I find there are a couple of rust-through holes in the floorboards, almost certainly from specific leaks that have been happening over a long period of time. On the driver's side, it's right about where the driver's right heel sits and on the passenger side it's in front of the left side of the seat next to the tunnel. The rest of the sheet metal looks brand new, yet in need of scraping and cleaning. I removed the center console assemblies, which, like all else in the interior, is falling apart and in need of cleaning.

I got a roller for the vibration dampening material (Noico) so after I clean the metal, I can begin to install that. The interior metal is heavily "corrugated," so I'd like to hear from The Shovel as to how I should go about attaching the 50 mil material I have. I assume it needs to be close to 100% contact, heat formed a little and rolled per instructions (after prepping surface). What about wiring along the floor? Cover it or keep it above the Noico?

I'll be driving the truck tomorrow for some errands, so I'm going to bolt in a Gen 1 Montero seat to see how that works. I think I'll have to re-use part of the truck's seat base so I have a seat belt buckle.

I made the mistake of going to bed early last night and have been up since 2:30 a.m., so sorry if this is a rambling mess. Guess I'll try to get back at things tomorrow, which I've personally declared the start of spring, since it'll be around 80.

John B.

JohnnyBfromPeoria

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2018, 06:21:44 PM »
Went to Harbor Freight today and picked up a new set of panel removal tools and a couple of wire brushes. The remains of the carpet cushion are difficult to remove and I only got the passenger side sort of done before I was distracted by a squirrel or something. I really scraped away at the rusty spots; the big round metal plugs in the floor are looking bad, too, so maybe somebody knows of rubber plugs to take their place (that would be helpful). I sprayed Rustoleum rust reformer paint on the rusty spots on that side. Don't know how far into fixing that shit I'll even want to go. Part of me wants to put metal patches over the top while the laziest part of me says to just use foil tape, cover it with the Noico and the carpet/pad and ignore it. Maybe Toasty can suggest how I can pay him to help fix it.

I removed the cheesy cardboard-like filler panel pieces, too, the pieces that cover sheet metal in places like the kick panels and the b-pillars. I'll probably toss them, as they're pretty torn up. The glued-on fabric with foam backing over some painted sheet metal around the back and front windows had to go, too. Maybe new and improved crappy fabric can eventually be glued on in its place.

Now I need some "Back To Black" trim restorer for the console/shifter bits and a way to paint the parts that used to be red and now are a faded red, kind of more like pink. Which doesn't fit what I'm after here, anyway.

I greased the chassis points. Jeez, some of that stuff is totally shot, like the driver's side lower a-arm front bushing, the boots on the upper ball joints and some of the tie rods.  No wonder it squeaks so badly. I made my Rock Auto shopping list for suspension/steering and decided against buying an old Marantz turntable so I can direct the money to this instead.

In chasing air bubbles out of my cooling system, I noticed a small but significant leak in the radiator upper tank, next to the upper rad. hose inlet. So, even though it was rodded just a year or two ago, out it will come to go to the shop. I wonder why these trucks use a two-row but a Montero with the same engine uses a three row.

My exhaust leak is at the manifold, but I didn't bother taking the heat shields off to see if the manifold itself is cracked or if it's because the nuts keep falling off - I don't think this is a balance shaft engine, still, and it does vibrate. If it's the manifold, I have options, since I have a tri-y header hanging around as well as a stock manifold or two for different years of 2.6 Monteros. Both would require minor rework on the exhaust system by a shop.

John B.

TOASTY

• Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2018, 08:07:04 PM »
You know me dude, happy to help in any way. Especially in ways i am proficient like welding, we got this.

JohnnyBfromPeoria

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2018, 05:43:39 AM »
Baksheesh, Cheddar, Skrilla. These things can be yours, Toasty, if you were to stop over and look at the Rammer this week. In the shed with the jackstands by the door is a sheet of galvanized steel I've been hanging onto. There are live power cords by the truck. Bring a grinder and a stick welder and patch that thing up! If it were only that easy... We'll work it out.

John B.

TOASTY

• Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2018, 08:16:57 PM »
 I'll come to you to asses the job, probably best to do the actual work at my house for the fastest turn around.

JohnnyBfromPeoria

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2018, 04:28:16 AM »
That's pretty much what I thought, which is cool, because I have a couple of other things I need to have welded anyway...I can bring them along in the pickup. Any chance for this weekend? I can try to temporarily try to patch my hole in the radiator with some steel stick or a blob of regular JB Weld and bring it by.

John B.