Author Topic: 1983 Dodge Power Ram  (Read 12973 times)

Lordtrunks

• UTE!
Re: 1983 Dodge Power Ram
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2018, 03:13:32 PM »
I'm happy with moog's tie rods
Diesel 89
Doesn't give a fuck

JohnnyBfromPeoria

• I'm Getting Around To It
  • Get Off My Lawn! Or gravel, or whatever it is!
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2018, 05:41:24 AM »
I've always been happy with Moog stuff, too, so after thinking about it, I switched as much of the steering and suspension stuff back over to them in my shopping cart, which jacks up the shipping some, but gets me lower ball joints, inner and outer tie rod ends, Pitman and idler arms from them. They don't offer the upper ball joints for either the Dodge or Mitsu version of the truck (I always check both because sometimes the companies don't catch the cross-over), so those stayed Mevotech.

I've done a couple of Gen 1's suspension/steering rebuilds now, and have retained some knowledge about keeping them stock and making the job a little easier that I can pass on. The upper a-arms use a shaft assembly instead of a-arm bushings, and it's really important to loosen the end nuts on those while the arm is still bolted into the truck. You'd have a bitch of a time getting them loose while the arm is in a vise afterwards, for example. Per the FSM, make sure to exactly center the threads on the new upper shaft when installing it into the a-arm or your caster adjustment is going to be out of whack. And have a shaft installed, preferably the old one, in the a-arm when pressing out the old ball joint and pressing in the new one or you stand a good chance of bending the shaft alignment by actually re-shaping the arm when you're pressing the ball joint itself. Bolt the a-arm with its new shaft and new ball joint back into the truck and put the shims in place, then tighten it up, THEN tighten the end nuts on the shaft to final spec, maintaining the centering so important to keeping caster correct. And what is that spec, you ask? Guten-tight, since I can't remember finding the actual number. I'd wager a guess to say that over the life of these vehicles, virtually no one ever replaces those shafts, but it's a metal-to-metal wear surface for the upper arm to pivot, so it'll eventually need to be done and they're relatively cheap. The upper arm HAS to come out to replace the upper ball joint anyway, and if you're staying Gen 1 with the suspension, it really should be done.

John B.
AZ Crew/East Sider/Former 14th St Crew
95 SR, 35x12.5-15 on 8" steelies, 2" BL, stuff cut off, stuff welded on, lights, sound, front ARB pending
87 Raider, There's a turbo 2.6 under its hood, really
83 "Dodge" Power Ram 50, a bit lifted, way slow and gets more comments from random people than the other two put together
'95 Montero SR. Pretty much stock, Trail Gear Sliders, ADD skid plates, Stereo by Shovel, Timing maintenance by Pa_Jero

IncorpoRatedX

• Not really the
  • Administrator
  • I'm big in Japan.
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2018, 06:38:31 AM »
I've got a ball joint press that'll make a liar out of you...

Did both my Gen 1 upper ball joints on the truck.

You can borrow it, if you dont want to deal with the shaft.

JohnnyBfromPeoria

• I'm Getting Around To It
  • Get Off My Lawn! Or gravel, or whatever it is!
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2018, 08:39:18 PM »
Now that IS fascinating, IncX. I hadn't thought it would be possible to do that, so I may consider taking you up on that. On the other hand, pretty much everything is beat on this truck and the shafts aren't particularly difficult to do anyway. If your press can be used off the truck as well, it is likely a safer solution to using my straight 20 ton monster anyway. That thing can bend practically anything.

Toasty fixed the rust holes!! He is truly a master with the welding. Big thanks, Dude.

Toasty also came up with a spiffy name for the AZ Crew subsection charged with another one of my projects, but you'll have to read about that in the Gen 1 section.

John B.
AZ Crew/East Sider/Former 14th St Crew
95 SR, 35x12.5-15 on 8" steelies, 2" BL, stuff cut off, stuff welded on, lights, sound, front ARB pending
87 Raider, There's a turbo 2.6 under its hood, really
83 "Dodge" Power Ram 50, a bit lifted, way slow and gets more comments from random people than the other two put together
'95 Montero SR. Pretty much stock, Trail Gear Sliders, ADD skid plates, Stereo by Shovel, Timing maintenance by Pa_Jero