Author Topic: 1999 Pajero Super Exceed SWB DiD (gen3)  (Read 3946 times)

MrGalantguy

• Yes...I own Galants
    • View Profile
Re: 1999 Pajero Super Exceed SWB DiD (gen3)
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2018, 04:53:42 AM »
I showed your SWB Gen 3 to my wife who has a LWD 02 Gen 3 and she smiled and loved it.

I bet this thing is fun to drive.
-1998 Montero (Winter package & Adjustable suspension)
-2002 Montero Limited
-1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000
-1996 Galant 4G64t 5spd
Owner of: Nostalgic JDM
Facebook: Nostalgic JDM
Business Instagram: @nostalgic_jdm407
Personal Instagram: @itsaboutfam

PajEvo

• Global Moderator
  • "The Canadian"
    • View Profile
    • JDM Journeys
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2018, 08:10:26 PM »
Thanks guys. Three days in now for the daily drive, so about 400kms or so. Love this thing!

Clunking in the front turned out to be the swaybar endlink. Nut was loose. 5 seconds with a 17mm wrench and it was silenced. Love those kinds of fixes!

Oil leak looks to be the oil pressure switch. Cheap, but a bitch to get to. I'll do it soon though.

Driving it... on the straights it feels very much like its longer sibling, but through corners it feels a little more nimble to me. Braking also feels a little different - you can get an idea of how much less rig is behind you when you clamp on the binders. Turns on a dime, although I find the lwb is no slouch in that department either.

The 5 speed with the 4m41 is pure diesel heaven, to my mind. Not the quietest, but relatively smooth, and plenty of torque. Power delivery on acceleration is muted, but then you look at your tach and realize you haven't gone above 2300 rpm. When you step it down for real, it can actually spool up fairly quickly.

Something about the lines of the shorty accentuates those curves even more than the 4 door, and just enamours me even more with this little rig. Also looks very wide too, since its so short. It really does remind me of the pajevo. The difference is that the bodylines are more organic - built into the shape instead of boxy add-ons. Love both, and of course you know my favorite, but as a DD, this little gen3 is shaping up to be a keeper, so far!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 08:12:00 PM by PajEvo »

PajEvo

• Global Moderator
  • "The Canadian"
    • View Profile
    • JDM Journeys
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2018, 09:12:10 PM »
First fuel returns are in. 10.2l/100km or about 23mpg. Not bad for 265-75/16 BFG ATs and no skids on the underside (still watching for oil leaks). Should improve a bit more too, since this sat in Japan for quite a while before I brought it over, from what I can tell.

This got me 620kms, or about 385 miles with still about 6L left in the rank, so pretty good range for a shorty. I think I can improve on these numbers some, but a promising start.

I've also begun work on the filthy exterior. From a few feet away it looks pretty good but up close it is absolutely gross. Every nook and cranny has black stains and in some cases green algae. So far the most effective solution is Spray Nine, which has made short work of the window gaps and inside the doors. This ain't a show truck but years of environmental contamination gives it a neglected appearance which I need to remedy. I may resort to spray nine on the exterior to get rid of the faint stains down the sides.

Wheelybuilt

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2018, 12:57:11 PM »
Looks great! Can't wait to see more

haolepinoy

• My Montero Hates Me
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2018, 04:51:30 AM »
I can't be the only one...haha.

Paj, what does "clamp on the binders" mean?
'03 Montero Limited - being repaired slightly faster than it's falling apart (debatable)

Middle-earth by Montero

My Friend's Super Epic Build Thread

PajEvo

• Global Moderator
  • "The Canadian"
    • View Profile
    • JDM Journeys
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2018, 06:31:35 AM »
It's okay that my reference was lost. Them's the breaks. Or in this case: brakes.

PA_JERO

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2018, 01:18:58 AM »
"The canadian" has struck again! Awesome looking truck dude, you always get the good ones.  Love those tires you put on it also. Hopefully we get the chance to meet up again and I'll see that thing in person, can't wait for that. Good luck with the new wheels Phil.

PajEvo

• Global Moderator
  • "The Canadian"
    • View Profile
    • JDM Journeys
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2018, 10:15:47 PM »
"The canadian" has struck again! Awesome looking truck dude, you always get the good ones.  Love those tires you put on it also. Hopefully we get the chance to meet up again and I'll see that thing in person, can't wait for that. Good luck with the new wheels Phil.

Thanks Kevin! Appreciate it buddy! We will def meet again - have to!

So I ended up spray-nining the WHOLE TRUCK. Extreme, but damn did it cut through the filth. I rinsed it with water and then immediately went to the car wash and re-washed/rinsed. Looking better already. Still lots of cleaning to do, but way better than it was.

Currently trying to figure out a roofrack. I am right back where I was in terms of not being able to get the RTT out of the garage. I ordered a cheap-ish set of bars from DIRECT 4x4 UK, which attach under the drip rails to the factory attachment points. (I didn't know they were there either!) since my truck didn't come with rails like North American gen3's all seem to. Unfortunately there's quite a bit of room under them. Which puts the RTT at a point where I can't clear my seven foot door. Here's the bars for reference...

I am looking at other options at the moment. Either Rhino rack drill through the roof tracks, or I modify my garage door opening. Or both? I dunno...

PajEvo

• Global Moderator
  • "The Canadian"
    • View Profile
    • JDM Journeys
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2018, 04:49:41 PM »
So a few comments on roof racks. First off - the DIRECT 4X4 racks? Meh. Wouldn't recommend them. Yes, they use the factory mount, but its a very very small hook, needs compression from the rubber pad it sits on (which is temp dependent), and uses a single allen head cap screw to tighten down each corner. Not much redundancy there. Actually - NONE. So I pulled the pair off the SWB, and mounted all three (three come in the package) on our LWB, to ferry kayaks when towing the trailer. Apparently I didn't compress the rubber pad enough, because my wife called me on her way home from work last night to report a "thumping sound", which ended up being one of the racks popping out of its hook and moving around. I shudder to think how that would have gone with a RTT up there! I re-tightened them last night, forgoing the allen key for a proper allen socket and ratchet. But lightweight boats with strapped backups are as much as this rack will see.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 07:16:43 PM by PajEvo »

PajEvo

• Global Moderator
  • "The Canadian"
    • View Profile
    • JDM Journeys
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2018, 04:57:05 PM »
So, that left me with a connundrum. RTT? Kind of requires a roofrack.

Rhino rack makes a trick drip channel rail which retrofits into the channel under the plastic, but since Australia didn't get the gen3 shorty, guess who didn't make a shorty version? I almost bought and modded the LWB channels, but they are pre-drilled, and I wondered what kind of nightmare I'd have trying to get them to fit, after I'd cut them up. Nope, there had to be another way. Soooo... I went cheap. And domestic. Yes, I see the irony.

Junkyard. Ford Windstar. They come from the factory with t-slot rails and crossbars. 40 bucks out the door, once I disentangled them from Henry's clutches.

I began by setting up the rails on the roof, with the crossbars attached to retain a perfect-ish rectangle. Then I marked the bolt holes with a paint pen. This began as 6 holes per side, but then I decided to add a few more, to the tune of 8 per side.  Yes, after measuring about 50 times, I drilled 16 (SIXTEEN) holes in my pristine SWB JDM roof. If you need to leave, here's your chance...

PajEvo

• Global Moderator
  • "The Canadian"
    • View Profile
    • JDM Journeys
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2018, 05:07:05 PM »
If my sacrilege has not offended you too greatly, allow me to continue:

I was not interested in pulling the headliner. Nor did I want raindrops to pull a Johnny Mathis on me. So I used my nutsert (rivet nut, riv-nut) gun to crush threaded inserts into each of my trucks fresh wounds (preceded of course by paint, and silicone). Then I ran a coarse course of silicone around every hole in the rail's underside, as well as a perimeter bead (FORD used no sealant, simply a plastic gasket, so R&R was pretty straightforward). In fact I used 9/10 of a full tube of silicone, and probably could have done without the 16 holes, but redundancy is never redundant when you're strapping things on your roof.

After this step, I attached the t-slot rails for the final time, adding loc-tite blue to the threads just to ensure I didn't change my mind down the road.

Disclaimer - rhino rack used pop rivets in their attachment materials to attach their rails. One could argue they were in a stronger section of roof, but it did make me feel pretty good about my little screws and nutserts, especially in mass quantities.

PajEvo

• Global Moderator
  • "The Canadian"
    • View Profile
    • JDM Journeys
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2018, 01:44:24 PM »
This rig came with a lot of oil. Outside the crankcase. All over the side of the block and dripping underneath once I gave it a good highway run. Wasn't really visible with the engine cover on, but when I removed it? OMG! EXXON Veldez...

First thing I did was valve cover gasket and a whole pile of cleaning. It was a disaster in there. Here's a pic midway through the sudsing down...

Here's the VC gasket and other bits...

« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 01:52:06 PM by PajEvo »

PajEvo

• Global Moderator
  • "The Canadian"
    • View Profile
    • JDM Journeys
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2018, 01:51:11 PM »
While I was in there I had a look at the various hoses etc. I made the decision to yank all assoiciated bits of the EGR system. It was starting to coke up everything, and once the EGR is coked, it does more harm than good. This might be controversial, but it's not illegal where I live, and in terms of env impact, when it's non-functioning, or working poorly, I'd argue that it is worse for emissions anyways. In any event...

I used a blanking kit, and was able to pull a lot of things off the engine as a result. Here's the pile:

I also painted the heat shields and added a hose to reconnect up the water lines, since one had a heat exchanger in line as part of EGR setup.

While I was doing the valve cover, I also replaced the upper chain guide. Worth doing for how simple it is to swap. OEM parts of course...

Valve train looked very clean, but this thing only has 113k kms on it, so its what I'd expect. Still, nice to see...

But guess what? After all that, I came back from holidays and there was a giant puddle under the truck. Arrrrgggg...

PajEvo

• Global Moderator
  • "The Canadian"
    • View Profile
    • JDM Journeys
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2018, 07:45:04 PM »
I am super behind on this thread. I did a few fixes, began a garage expansion project, then had sinus surgery and was confined to spectator status for the month of June. So... where did I leave off?

Ah yes. The oil leak. Even though I had done the leaky valve cover gasket, I was still getting a drip of Rotella wherever I stopped. Not cool. Did some more digging and finally settled on what I figured was the most likely, yet least costly fix. There is an oil pressure switch on the RHS of the block. Same one used by almost every Mitsu made in the 90's and beyond. It appeared to be the spigot I'd been looking to turn off. But there was a catch. Three words: Location, location, location. It was under the manifold, in front of the turbo, behind the oil filter, and right up against a ridge on the block. An absolute nightmare for access. I pulled a whole bunch of stuff one rainy spring afternoon and tried for hours to remove the offending piece (after buying one at a local parts store for 8 bucks). Finally had to give up in frustration and put everything back together, with no progress beyond a few new scars.

A few weeks later and I was back at it. Now I should note that line of sight on this little bugger was pretty much nill unless you stripped down much of the intake system, oil filter, etc etc. I decided to go from the top this time, by feel. I also gave up on the 26mm socket I'd been trying, since I couldn't get any purchase on the switch. The casting ridge on the block wasn't helping either. I went for my inch and 1/16 socket, and ground down much of the socket's sidewall, to make it easier to fit into the tiny space. After about an hour of mucking about, I managed to get the thing moving. It was painstaking, with enough range to get ONE click on the ratchet if i did it right. Finally it started to move, and I wondered briefly if I'd simply buggered the threads, and was facing a bigger problem, but I kept going and eventually the oil pressure switch fully divorced itself from the block. I replaced it with the new piece (loctite on threads) and then began the process of putting it all back together, fingers crossed all the while.

There was some residual oil coming from God knows where, but after a few days, NO MORE LEAKS!! Woohoo! I've now put another 3k kms on this rig, with no more leaking of any kind. I'd call that a win!

PajEvo

• Global Moderator
  • "The Canadian"
    • View Profile
    • JDM Journeys
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2018, 08:07:15 PM »
So, all leaks fixed - back to the roof!

The Ford crossbars that came from the junkyard with the rails were of no use other than as a way to mount the rails parallel.

I had some Surco Safari slotted bars hanging around, so I made some brackets, used some t-nuts, and was able to cobble together some very low profile crossbars, strong enough to hold my RTT (reviewed here: https://forum.adventuredrivendesign.com/index.php/topic,266.0.html )

Three bolts per leg, so six bolts per side, plus 8 bolts per side in the rails. Unless the roof is doing some serious flexing, I'm not planning to revisit this again any time soon. Next job was to mount the RTT...

Slightly noisy, but quieter than the rails by themselves. Has had about a liter per 100km effect on fuel econ so far. Fits (just barely) through my seven foot high garage door. All in all I'm very happy with this setup.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 08:09:45 PM by PajEvo »