Author Topic: 1999 Pajero Super Exceed SWB DiD (gen3)  (Read 3752 times)

PajEvo

• Administrator
  • "The Canadian"
    • View Profile
    • JDM Journeys
Re: 1999 Pajero Super Exceed SWB DiD (gen3)
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2018, 04:45:39 PM »
So a few updates and things to add that I didn't put in at the time I did them -

Stereo: this came with MMCS, and factory backup cam, as well as a cool display for HVAC that I didn't want to lose when I relocated the heater controls lower and then put in a double DIN (factory controls were part and parcel with factory tape deck/radio). So... I kept the factory radio.

Turns out there was enough room under the double DIN to just squeeze the fm stocker back in there. I put some foam around the corners to avoid rattles, and I had to creatively hack the parts of the harness I needed to run the new radio, while retaining enough of the old to keep the display. Then I covered it all back up again with the new Android headunit. Seamless.

I still want to go back in there and figure out a way to be able to press a few of the buttons - I've got it left on hvac display right now, but wouldn't mind being able to cycle the other info, such as outside temp etc.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 04:47:56 PM by PajEvo »

PajEvo

• Administrator
  • "The Canadian"
    • View Profile
    • JDM Journeys
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2018, 04:49:02 PM »
Changed cabin air filter (sorry, jdm gen3s came with it.)

Needed to be done badly, apparently.

PajEvo

• Administrator
  • "The Canadian"
    • View Profile
    • JDM Journeys
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2018, 04:57:31 PM »
Not sure how I missed this, but a very important set of pieces was added to my rig.

As you probably know, the gen3 thought it'd be appropriate to show up to the gunfight that is the trail, wearing a knife (AKA PLASTIC underbelly skid). This embarrassing oversight needed correcting, so I went the route of our namesakes, and installed Adventure Driven Design's finest trail armour - front and middle skids! The gen 3 even comes with a rear skid which continues where the mid leaves off. All well and good until an oil change, where you have to get all that hardware out of the way.

Also, they look awesome!

Not installed without difficulty on this, the turbo diesel model, however. THe intercooler hangs down just a little more on this model than anything on the V6 models. Who knew? So I had to straighten the front skid again at it's bend, notch the sides where it wraps, and then rebend  it 20mm further back on the same plane. This, combined with a few washers to space it, allowed the front skid, sized specifically for a V6, to fit the TD-i version too. The mid skid needed no mods, and was a perfect fit the first time.

PajEvo

• Administrator
  • "The Canadian"
    • View Profile
    • JDM Journeys
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2018, 04:59:50 PM »
Swapped the factory chrome grille to an NOS item I found on ebay. It was even colormatched already!

This was purely aesthetics - but maybe it'll help someday 'cause everyone knows "chrome don't get you home"!

MudRaider

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2018, 05:05:42 PM »
That white definitely looks a lot better!

PajEvo

• Administrator
  • "The Canadian"
    • View Profile
    • JDM Journeys
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2018, 05:19:08 PM »
Not an actual concrete update yet, more of an academic one - I have bought an ARB bumper, and it is waiting for me. Ummm. In the United States. In Maine. Little bit of an obstacle I admit, but it is in the custody of our good friend AJ Vega right now, so we'll figure out the logistics of getting it all the way here, somehow.

I bought it (well AJ bought it on my behalf) from a guy in CT who'd purchased it for his Land Rover. Not sure what the breakdown in communications was, but somehow he ended up with an ARB 3434050 to fit a gen3 Montero/Pajero, and no mounting brackets. Supposedly the seller stopped returning his calls. So... he let it go pretty inexpensively compared to what I'd normally have to pay. Through some connections, we managed to find a brand new ARB mounting kit, and so I just have to get all that gear together with my truck.  I do have a pic of it, just to satisfy the naysayers, LOL, but I'm not sure how long the wait will be.

TOASTY

• Administrator
  • Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2018, 08:30:08 PM »
Excellent! maybe that's why mine didn't come with a mounting kit either?

PajEvo

• Administrator
  • "The Canadian"
    • View Profile
    • JDM Journeys
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2018, 05:26:44 PM »
Upgraded battery. Group 94R just barely fit in there, so I jammed that sucker in there and then separated my two (factory dual) batteries. This way I can use the main for starting and running, and the old accessory battery (Optima yellow top) for fridge, compressor and jump start duties, if needed.

This was accomplished with a Coast Products 1314 Separator.

The new battery is a Motomaster Eliminator Ultra AGM, a house brand of Canadian Tire, but supposedly manufactured by Exide.

PajEvo

• Administrator
  • "The Canadian"
    • View Profile
    • JDM Journeys
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2018, 05:33:19 PM »
As some of you know, my philosophy is that all vehicles should be blue. Since my rig ended up white, I added some horsepower to bring it closer to the ideal hue. Or, in layman's terms, I added decals. 102 inches per side is so much decal that I may have offset the horsepower with weight and wind resistance, ending up in a dead heat. Oh well, at least I didn't make it slower?

TOASTY

• Administrator
  • Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2018, 09:01:58 PM »
 Nice, and they should all be blue.