Author Topic: 95 SR Radio  (Read 1454 times)

Minerrick

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
95 SR Radio
« on: January 20, 2018, 06:47:03 PM »
So I have the (I guess) double din cassette/radio w equalizer. I assume there is an amp somewhere.... is this an Infinity unit? If not, any idea what it is? My 95 is in really good condition, and the radio sounds ok, but I was wondering if there were a way to make it a little sound better utilizing the stock radio and amp. I am 62 yrs old, so my pavement pounding stereo aspirations are long gone. I just want it to sound really good at low to mid volumes. I am assuming since the speakers are over 22 years old, that maybe they may need a "tune up". Any recommendations for specific speakers which would work well with the stock head and amp? Or any other ideas?

On a side note, I was considering replacing the head unit with a 2 DIN mp3 stereo, but decided against it as the location of the stereo is pretty much worthless (near the floor consol) while you are driving, so I was actually considering getting an ipad mount to get the screen up where I can use it and then pipe the music from my ipad directly into the aux in on the front of the stock stereo. Would there be any issues with this? It would save me the hassle and extra expense of a new head unit and I could utilize the stock head and amp.

Comments? Suggestions?

TOASTY

• Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
Re: 95 SR Radio
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 07:59:30 PM »
https://www.adventuredrivendesign.com/forums/index.php/topic,218.0.html

And I'm sure Eric will chime in, he's the resident expert and I'll say his truck spunds fantastic.

RyanY

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 06:46:37 PM »
The 95 stereo is not an Infinity system and does not have an external amp. 

Minerrick

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 02:38:29 PM »
So what do you audiophiles think about putting some surface mount speakers on the upper rear door trim, facing forward on mounts? Accoustically? I am no audiophile, but I cannot imagine the speakers in the door panels is an ideal location. I would think maybe a couple in back facing forward and maybe a small set on the dash facing backward would be much better. I have done a bunch of searches for this topic and haven't found the answer. The more I think about it, the more I am liking the idea of having some sort of docking station with maybe and indash stereo to mate my android phone or tab to, and having flush mount speakers instead of going through all the hassle of replacing all the door speakers. Feedback appreciate as I literally have no clue. I am having difficulty with the position of the stereo to even consider a double din. By having a long arm floor mount for my tab or phone, I can have all my controls literally at eye level all the time.

TOASTY

• Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 04:48:22 PM »
 Hopefully Eric posts up on the topic, he knows.

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Stuff page updated regularly!
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2018, 10:57:42 AM »
So what do you audiophiles think about putting some surface mount speakers on the upper rear door trim, facing forward on mounts? Accoustically? I am no audiophile, but I cannot imagine the speakers in the door panels is an ideal location. I would think maybe a couple in back facing forward and maybe a small set on the dash facing backward would be much better. I have done a bunch of searches for this topic and haven't found the answer. The more I think about it, the more I am liking the idea of having some sort of docking station with maybe and indash stereo to mate my android phone or tab to, and having flush mount speakers instead of going through all the hassle of replacing all the door speakers. Feedback appreciate as I literally have no clue. I am having difficulty with the position of the stereo to even consider a double din. By having a long arm floor mount for my tab or phone, I can have all my controls literally at eye level all the time.

For the loudspeakers your best bet is going to be using the factory locations - clean, easy, and produces great sound.    Your 1995 won't have the sail panel tweeters but I stuck one from a 2000 in Nick's 97 and it just snapped in perfectly so the same should be true for a 1995.     They're still not that difficult to come across, seems like more Gen 2.5's had them than didn't so finding them in a part-out is pretty easy and apparently they can even still be bought new.     

If you get sail panels from a part-out, also get the little metal brackets behind them, two 10mm nuts hold them in place.     

If you don't want to hunt down a set of sail panels from a Gen 2.5 almost any set of component tweeters provide the optioin of surface mounting them to your existing blank sail panels.

Then take your pick of 6.5" component loudspeakers as long as they have relatively small tweeters,  use VHB adhesive to hold the tweeters to those metal brackets and you're GOOD.     Easy!

For my own Montero I went with Pioneer TS-D1730C and can recommend them, they're affordable I think at under $100/set and quite good.    Cadence XS65K are half the price and should work very well too if you don't demand as much sophistication. 

In back,  again the factory location is great simply because it's there and out of the way.     You do have to remove the whole panel back there to get to it  -  you can't take the grilles off from the front,  so you have to take out the jump seats and rear seat belt bolt etc to pull back the side panels for access..  it's really not that hard.      Then install any set of 6x9 loudspeakers you like.     If you're using head unit power it's OK to go with cheapies back there!        In my case I'm using the rear 6x9's exclusively as subwoofers,  but that's only possible with some head units or with an external amplifier.

To recommend a head unit,  I agree that down low is an awful place for a touchscreen - takes your eyes off the road for too long and the viewing angle pretty much sucks.       I chose to use Pioneer's FH-X731BT because it's a large 2DIN unit that's easy to see,  I set the colors to match my dashboard backlighting so it looks like it belongs in the truck.    Has bluetooth, usb and aux of course & a unique feature is that even just with the internal power amp that unit is capable of treating the rear speakers like subwoofers,  only sending low frequencies to them so they can contribute bass but not compete with the front speakers for clarity.

Minerrick

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2018, 05:38:46 PM »
Ah Ha.... someone who knows what they are doing.... what is a sail panel? Do you run an amp in yours? Pioneer are supposed to be good speakers, I read the TS-A's are very good. Crutchfield says a double din doesn't fit, but obviously it is a double din location. Any recommendations of adapter connectors? Also I never play CD's so any recommendation for a similar head unit that has similar specs but doesn't have CD?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 05:43:33 PM by Minerrick »

PajEvo

• Global Moderator
  • "The Canadian"
    • View Profile
    • JDM Journeys
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2018, 06:09:40 PM »
Adapter: Metra 70-7001 or equivalent, then you simply solder your headunit's harness to it, and plug it in, as I'm sure you're aiming for.

Double DIN yes.

As for headunits, I've struggled for years with the low down on the low down. Think my latest head unit solves it - its a Kenwwood Excelon DDX794 that tilts the bottom of the face panel out and makes it way more accessible from the driver's seat. I just put mine in last weekend, but I think I grabbed a pic. Lemme do some digging. Head units are subjective, but this one is great so far for my purposes...

If your plastic stereo trim ring had separation in the center between the two single dins you may have to carefully cut off the slim bar in between upper and lower slots. Dremel or hack saw makes short work of it.

PajEvo

• Global Moderator
  • "The Canadian"
    • View Profile
    • JDM Journeys
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2018, 06:15:35 PM »
Here's the adapter and the stereo I mentioned above, installed in my "gen2.5ish" Pajero.

Head unit looks much better when you're actually sitting in the truck.

Minerrick

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2018, 06:17:49 PM »
Paj- the current radio is a one piece, 2 din unit. Cassette on top and equalizer underneath. Pics would be good, and you have no trouble viewing while driving? I'm not sure I understand the tilt out.