Author Topic: 1996 Montero SR - Project Arroyo  (Read 6121 times)

Funf

• I probably need help fixing something.
1996 Montero SR - Project Arroyo
« on: January 23, 2018, 01:01:17 PM »
Hello!  This thread should follow my (hopefully) successful project 1996 SR.  This is my first taste of 4wd, as I have been a watercooled VW guy (Mk3 GTI VR6 (deceased), Mk4 Jetta (Sold), Mk5 R32 (deceased), and now MK7 GTI) and Miata guy ('99 NB1).

Anyways, After the usual research with XJs, 4Runners, and the like, I decided a Gen 2 SR or 2.5 WP Montero was what I was looking for. After a few months of looking I ended up with a 1996 SR that I found on the local Craigslist for $400.  It wouldn't idle, had a dead battery, and had a nasty sounds coming from the engine. Why buy the best, when you can buy the cheapest?  I was able to jump it, and as long as I kept the revs up, it wouldn't die.  So I drove it home, but as soon as I started I saw the tank was empty.

Monty gas station by Nathan, on Flickr

So I got gas and had to jump the car, while shoving a work light on the gas pedal to keep the revs up while I disconnected the jumper battery pack. After a few unsuccessful tries I noticed the negative terminal was loose.  I made it home and parked it in the garage to start the project.

Monty front by Nathan, on Flickr

Monty Side by Nathan, on Flickr

It is a 1996 SR with 220K miles.

The good:
SR
Clean straight body, other the the front bumper and some scratches on the fenders.
Interior relatively clean, rips on the front seats and some stains on the carpet.

The bad:
Won't idle warm.
Engine noises.
Power driver seat doesn't move
sunroof doesn't close all the way
Tires are bald
Leaks oil
Middle row passenger seat doesn't latch down.

And I'm sure I'll find a whole bunch more issues. Fun times ahead!
1996 Montero SR

Funf

Re: 1996 Montero SR -
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 01:26:31 PM »
First thing I wanted to fix was the idle.  I got a new battery and air filter.  Cleaned the TB and IAC motor, and did an oil change.  Now it idles around 1100 cold, and is still a little lumpy at 500-700 when warn, but stays on.  I still need to get some miles to get the ECU back to normal and am hoping that helps, but it starts every time and will sit there idling indefinitely.

The next thing I'd like to figure out is the noise in the engine.  My first thought is the valves, since it sounds like it was coming from the valve area of the engine.  I did the rev up to 3K and back down for 30 seconds trick a ~10 times, and it definitely made it quieter, but still has some noises.  It seemed at cold it is a very regular quick dink/dunk noise, almost sounding like a diesel.  Once warm, it is a little less regular, and a random dink here and there.  It would probably be wise to also look into butterfly valve (only early 96's were affected from what I read?) and the timing belt tensioner.  I also noticed when driving and I let off throttle (like going down a hill), there is some rattle up front.  Under load it sounds fine (or its possible just cant hear over the wind noise).

Any advice from experience or a way to test is welcomed.

The next big step is to get it smogged so I can legally drive it.  Due to the new battery, the readiness monitors have not yet cleared.  So I need to drive it so I can smog is so I can drive it.

Also tires. I need tires. Once it is safe and legal on the road, I will catch up maintenance and fixing broken things.
1996 Montero SR

jaccox

Re: 1996 Montero SR - Project Arroyo
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 08:22:42 AM »
Just go ahead and knock out a timing belt change. Better safe then sorry. Use OEM tensioner and you can use a universal kit other than that if you don't want to splurge for AISIN or OEM. Might as well do the cam and crank seals while its all naked and in the open. If your sure its the lifters I'd just go ahead and buy new ones and start running Rotella T6 and if you take the intake off to inspect the butterfly vlavles you may as well go new plugs and wires since they'll be accessible. Other than that congrats and you could likely have a vacuum leak somewhere causing the rough idle. You have OBD11 so you can actually pull codes if it in fact has any
1999 Montero. 33x10.5x15 General X3's. 4.90's w/rear locker. Full armor. ADD idler arm. ADD 1.5" complete lift. Siberiean Bushings everywhere. 150W alternator with upgraded 4 AWG leads and grounds. 2nd Battery in the rear for camping stuffs to come.

Shakotanfun69

• I'm new here!
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 08:34:23 AM »
Welcome! We have quite a few miata guys in here. We must like weird shit!

As for the ticking noise when its cold, that'd be your valves, mine is currently doing this up until warm temp. Just like the miata, oil gets starved up there.

Do you plan on doing any lift at all? If not, a good tire choice would be some 33's with very minimal mod'ing.

Funf

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 09:28:33 AM »
Thanks jaccox.  I think you're right and I should just get into the engine and give it a nice refresh and get it done with.  I've checked the OBD II, and there are no codes.  The PO said he had a CEL on, but I haven't seen it yet.  I only have about an hours worth of driving on it since the new battery and it still hasn't completed the readiness monitors, so it might not have shown up yet? 

For maintenance parts, are RockAuto and/or Mitsu dealerships are the go to? Or are there other places to shop?

For tires, the plan is 33x10.5 BFG A/T KO2s with no lift (but open to suggestions).  I'm just going to do mild wheeling, exploring some "4wd or high clearance vehicle suggested" back roads, and the Pismo Dunes, since I live about 10 minutes from them. So I think I'll be fine with 33s.
1996 Montero SR

Shakotanfun69

• I'm new here!
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2018, 09:58:55 AM »
33's will need hardly any modification, maybe just removing of the runners.

Pismo is awesome, I use to go there all the time, my sister lives in Paso.

jaccox

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2018, 11:37:37 AM »
there are certain items that are OEM only in the montero world. Tensioner being one and updated crank bolts being another. Just about everything else you can source decent aftermarket stuff for. Then suspension wise turn to ADD themselves to get all that stuff refreshed and you won't go wrong.
1999 Montero. 33x10.5x15 General X3's. 4.90's w/rear locker. Full armor. ADD idler arm. ADD 1.5" complete lift. Siberiean Bushings everywhere. 150W alternator with upgraded 4 AWG leads and grounds. 2nd Battery in the rear for camping stuffs to come.

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2018, 02:26:56 PM »
Did somebody say Miata?
1998 Montero Winter Package (For Sale)
1994 FZJ80 Land Cruiser (Wife's)
2006 V8 4Runner Sport Edition (Mine)

reversecaoboy

• I'm new here!
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2018, 02:45:21 PM »
Clubroadster reunion?

Funf

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2018, 09:12:47 AM »
Photo of said Miata. My dad bought it new in late 1998 as one of the first NBs.  It been in my name for about 10 years now as canyon and track toy.
1996 Montero SR

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2018, 10:16:57 AM »
Living in CA, is it a cardinal sin to have a Miata without 6ULs?
1998 Montero Winter Package (For Sale)
1994 FZJ80 Land Cruiser (Wife's)
2006 V8 4Runner Sport Edition (Mine)

reversecaoboy

• I'm new here!
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2018, 10:51:32 AM »
Living in CA, is it a cardinal sin to have a Miata without 6ULs?

Probably. I think selling the crackUL's that came with my car is the reason why I blew 3 BP's in 9 months.

Funf

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2018, 02:07:01 PM »
I've been spending the last month or so cleaning up, vacuuming, wiping, fixing little things a bit at a time. The middle seat now latches. I was able to manually crank the sunroof mostly closed.  The idle is still not ideal and need to dig deeper, but works good enough for now.  I fixed (read: plugged in) the driver seat so it now works.

The biggest thing is SMOG.  I could not get any of the readiness monitors to set after doing the drive cycles multiple multiple times.  Thanks to some help on expeditionportal (user Mike5 has a great thread and is super helpful on this topic :beer:). Turns out I don't need those to set in order to SMOG per a recent BAR document.  Long story short, I passed SMOG and did a happy dance.

I did also take it on a camping trip at the in-laws ranch with some buddies, and all 6'2" of me was able to sleep in the back.  I made janky little platform to fit in the middle seat footwell to make a flat surface.  A Mexican blanket, twin size blow up mattress, and sleeping bag was all I needed.  I would recommend you test your 10 year old blow up mattress to make sure it holds air for more than one hour or else you will discover all the tie downs in the cargo area throughout the night.  My parking/accommodations for the evening in photo below:

Monty as WT by Nathan, on Flickr

So now I can drive this legally for at least two more years before the next SMOG, I ordered parts!  First up is timing belt and all the associated goodies up there. I also got new plugs, grommets, wires, valve cover gaskets, crank bolt and washer while I'm messing about under the hood.

I also ordered a hitch for my bike rack, Cabelas Trail Gear set covers, 16x8 wheels and 265/75/16 BFG AT KO2, and some Bilstein 5100s from here at ADD!

Before I dig in, what is everyone's opinion on replacing crank and cam sensors while doing the timing belt? Do they fail often enough where it's worth spending the money? 
1996 Montero SR

IncorpoRatedX

• Not really the
  • Administrator
  • I'm big in Japan.
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2018, 03:43:29 PM »
lookin good, there's a video on youtube about folding the seats to make a sleeping platform.

As for the sensors; they don't fail very often, when they do it's usually debris in the system that kills them or oil soaked/cracked wires interrupting the signal. mine have 230,000 on them.

Crumb

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2018, 04:43:45 PM »
 Good score on the truck!