Author Topic: reversecaoboy's montebro  (Read 2744 times)

reversecaoboy

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
reversecaoboy's montebro
« on: January 24, 2018, 05:37:35 PM »
Gonna try my best to log stuff on here. I've always been terrible with build threads but it's nice to have stuff on record before I lose all my pictures and whatnot. This thread probably not gonna get updated much. I'm too busy with work and school to have any fun. It's been dubbed Montebro by all my friends, so that's its name.

Here she is, 2000 Montero Endeavor package in uhh....beige (Sudan metallic?) sitting high and mighty in front of my now broken ass RX-7. This was the morning after I bought it.

Stuff that was on it when I bought it:

- Weld Racing 16x8 +0 ish wheels with 285/75/16 General Grabbers
- Kill Your Back Gas-A-Justs
- Paper Bag full of unused condoms
- Unopened Big Lebowski DVD
- Some aftermarket Head unit
- Riceboy stickers

And that's about it!

Current stuff on it: (Updated when....stuff goes on it)

- Weld Racing 16x8 + 0 ish wheels
- 265/75/16 Falken Wildpeak AT3
- OEM Locker from a 98 Winter Package
- KYB Gas-A-Justs
- Trasharoo (With how hard it was to put on, it's staying on forever)

Current To-Do List:
1. Fix my god awful lifter tick (it seriously sounds like I have a diesel)
2. Get around to changing brakes
3. Swap out white ball T-Case shifter.
4. Replace KYB's with 5100's
5. Rock Sliders
6. Finish sourcing a WP locking axle
7. Regear (Already bought 4.63's from Kevin because I'm not man enough for 4.9's and I drive a ton of highway)
8. ??????
9. Don't blow it up.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 07:53:46 PM by reversecaoboy »

reversecaoboy

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
Re: reversecaoboy's montebro
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 07:42:34 PM »
I couldn't take the 285 MT's that came on the Montero and they were basically dead anyways, so I went to my buddy's shop R-Compound and snagged a set of 265/75/16 Falken Wildpeaks and headed out to Anza Borrego with a couple of buddies.

Tires.

Anza:

reversecaoboy

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 07:59:16 PM »
Since Anza, it was just a bunch of maintenance. Took the Montero to a local shop to have the timing belt, water pump, crank bolt, and other doodads taken care of. Unfortunately, when I got it back, it was ticking like a diesel. The shop and I figured that it was just that the lifters needed to be bled, so drive it around for a bit and we'll seem where it goes from there. I tried the bleed procedure and running seafoam, but no luck. Luckily, the shop said they'll take care of the labor, just get some replacement lifters and they''ll handle it.

Anywho, while I've been waiting for the lifters to bleed and waiting for the replacement lifters to arrive, I took the Montero up Cleghorn a couple of times. The most recent one with a Ural Side car.

You can see bits of the Montero in the video my roommate made:

https://youtu.be/deJyctfTbC8

TOASTY

• Administrator
  • Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 08:34:57 PM »
 Neato! so far so good!

Shakotanfun69

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 09:53:09 AM »
Did you get all the lifters and what not to replace? Are they ticking still after the engine warms up?
Mine sounds like a cummins on first start of the morning.

reversecaoboy

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2018, 11:52:59 AM »
I actually just received replacement lifters yesterday.

Mine ticks 24/7. Neighbors and everyone always says to me "I didn't know those come in diesel!"

I haven't been able to get it to go away no matter how many times I've tried to flush it.

So far I've tried in order:
1. Changing oil to Rotella T6
2. Running 1/2 Can of seafoam in the oil for a day (and attempting flushing procedure)
3. "Italian tune up" - from my Miata days.
4. Another change of Rotella T6, another flushing procedure
5. Added Liquimoly tick stop additive thing, another flushing procedure
6. Change oil to Castrol Syntec 5w-30.

So now I'm at the point of just changing out those lifters.

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2018, 02:41:26 PM »
I actually just received replacement lifters yesterday.

Mine ticks 24/7. Neighbors and everyone always says to me "I didn't know those come in diesel!"

I haven't been able to get it to go away no matter how many times I've tried to flush it.

So far I've tried in order:
1. Changing oil to Rotella T6
2. Running 1/2 Can of seafoam in the oil for a day (and attempting flushing procedure)
3. "Italian tune up" - from my Miata days.
4. Another change of Rotella T6, another flushing procedure
5. Added Liquimoly tick stop additive thing, another flushing procedure
6. Change oil to Castrol Syntec 5w-30.

So now I'm at the point of just changing out those lifters.

Are you sure it's a lifter and not a cracked manifold or two?

The one thing my garbage motor has going for it is a dead silent top end.  It sounded like a Cummins when i got it though.

....Then i replaced the passenger manifold.  Cost about 60 dollars and 60 minutes.
1998 Montero Winter Package (Mine)
2003 20th Anniversary Montero (Wife's)

reversecaoboy

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2018, 02:59:32 PM »
Hmm. I'll have to take a look at that too I guess. Didn't think of checking the manifold.

Sir_Monty

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2018, 02:06:49 PM »
Looks great man. Love that color was looking high and low one. But bought a green one because to good of a deal.

reversecaoboy

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2018, 08:11:49 PM »
Found the last piece to the puzzle (I think?) for throwing in an OEM locker.

Can anyone confirm where exactly the locker ECU is? I know it is on the driver's side rear 3/4 panel under the plastics, but was it in the very corner or about where the 3rd row seat goes? I nagged some ECU module thing from a little higher in that area but haven't torn apart my interior to see if it was already there or not.

TOASTY

• Administrator
  • Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2018, 08:47:09 PM »
 LEGIT! I think RyanY knows where the locker ECU is.

reversecaoboy

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2018, 08:04:12 PM »
I brought the Montero back to the shop that had done my timing belt the first time and they changed out the hydraulic lifters free of charge and the ticking is gone for good now.

I also had them throw in the locking axle for me as well, since I am a grad student and don't have the time nor do I want to deal with bench pressing a 200+ lbs solid axle into the back of the rig. Turns out that the locker ECU is found higher up on the 3/4th panel plastic, above the rear speaker, as confirmed by the shop.

I got around to changing the brakes as well, including new calipers all around, but the brake pedal is very soft even after bleeding. Could it be that I still have some air in the system?

Also, I don't know if it would be appropriate to post someone else's toys in the FS thread, but the shop I brought my Montero to (Miyaki Motorsports), is selling a 98 WP with 154K miles(Just serviced timing belt) as well as a Mighty Max (rebuilt engine less than 6 months ago) if anyone is interested. I can get you in touch with the owner.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 12:52:32 AM by reversecaoboy »

jaccox

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2018, 10:34:22 AM »

I got around to changing the brakes as well, including new calipers all around, but the brake pedal is very soft even after bleeding. Could it be that I still have some air in the system?

Common mistake with new montero owners and doing brakes is the bleeding procedure. There are 5 points to bleed. There are the wheels and the proportional valve in the rear. The sequence goes pass rear, driver rear, proportioning valve, pass front, driver front. I would suggest a vacuum bleeder as they are a miracle to doing brakes and they are cheap as dirt at harbor freight.
1999 Montero. 33x10.5x15 General X3's. 4.90's w/rear locker. Full armor. ADD idler arm. ADD 1.5" complete lift. Siberiean Bushings everywhere. 150W alternator with upgraded 4 AWG leads and grounds. 2nd Battery in the rear for camping stuffs to come.

reversecaoboy

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2018, 10:33:48 AM »
Did a little testing of the OEM locker. Man what a difference.

Flooder

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2018, 03:29:11 AM »
Can you share any tips and how to pull the rear axel. Iím going to look at a 99í Montero today to see if it has the rear dif. I have a 2000 mont endeavor just like yours and would like to add it. Was it only the winter package that had the rear dif? Are there cables I need to pull as well that are attchated to the rear axle? I saw you mentioned something about the computer above the rear speaker... do I take that as well?

I have no idea what Iím doing out there so any advice would not by over my head or to much.

Thanks! Iím enjoying your build thread since our cars are identical.