Author Topic: reversecaoboy's montebro  (Read 2772 times)

CharlieN

• Collector of Mitsubishi's dating back to '71
    • View Profile
Re: reversecaoboy's montebro
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2018, 09:43:22 AM »
Out of curiosity I did not see mention of changing the front diff when you re-geared the rig.
And your soft pedal after caliper change, the shop probably let the fluid run out of the brake system and you have air in the ABS pump. Good luck with that, it can be a PIA getting the ABS bled out.
Regards, Charlie N

TOASTY

• Administrator
  • Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2018, 04:26:18 PM »
 If you got air into the ABS pump there is a special bleeding procedure that involves a MUT-II, It opens and closes the valves while you pump out the fluid following it's prompts. It's real hard to get out manually.

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2018, 10:07:11 AM »
Has anyone started making china copies of the MUT for cheap yet like they did for Volvos?  I'd like to have one, but at $600+, i'm deleting ABS before i even think of spending that kind of money.
1998 Montero Winter Package (Mine)
2003 20th Anniversary Montero (Wife's)

reversecaoboy

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2018, 11:30:25 AM »
Can you share any tips and how to pull the rear axel. Iím going to look at a 99í Montero today to see if it has the rear dif. I have a 2000 mont endeavor just like yours and would like to add it. Was it only the winter package that had the rear dif? Are there cables I need to pull as well that are attchated to the rear axle? I saw you mentioned something about the computer above the rear speaker... do I take that as well?

I have no idea what Iím doing out there so any advice would not by over my head or to much.

Thanks! Iím enjoying your build thread since our cars are identical.

Sorry for not seeing this!

Yup, only the winter packages had the rear locker. Easiest way to check would to look for the orange sticker in the driver footwell or looking for the locker button. But if you'll be at a junkyard you can just crawl underneath and look if there is a hose coming out of the rear differential.

I ended up pulling the entire axle with hand brake cables and abs sensors and whatever crap was attached to it. You're gonna want a 24mm socket and wrench..and a breaker bar or power tools, but it's pretty straightforward once you're under there.

The ECU isn't necessary as some people have said, but i'd grab it to be safe. Just pull back all the rear plastics on the driver's side and you'll see some wires leading to under the window/around the rear speaker area. That's the ECU. Don't forget the grab the airpump and lines that is under the rear passenger seat (2nd row?) It's easiest to remove the seat, but you can still get it with the seat bolted. Flip down the cubby door, and there SHOULD be a metal plate towards the outside of the car. Pry back the carpet and youll find 2 or 3 10mm bolts that hold the plate in, which has the airpump attached to it.

reversecaoboy

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2018, 11:32:40 AM »
Out of curiosity I did not see mention of changing the front diff when you re-geared the rig.
And your soft pedal after caliper change, the shop probably let the fluid run out of the brake system and you have air in the ABS pump. Good luck with that, it can be a PIA getting the ABS bled out.

I didn't need to regear since I pulled the axle out of a 98 WP. I do have 4.63's sitting in my room waiting to be installed, but I just bought an entire TII drivetrain swap for my RX7 so regearing is on hold.

Ugh, not looking forward to that. I've just learned to keep my distance when driving. lol
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 11:39:17 AM by reversecaoboy »

reversecaoboy

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2018, 01:25:32 PM »
Mud stuff cuz we've had rain in Southern Cali lately.

Yes, I had to tow out my buddy's Rav4 twice that day.

reversecaoboy

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2018, 02:28:21 PM »
Did a couple things recently.

Kurt from Cruiser Outfitters hooked it up on some Aisin FM-002's. Last I spoke with him he still had a few sets in stock if any of y'all lookin.

And then @roaminglost on IG ended up selling his replica Ralliart Web Mags, so I had to cop.

Not liking the look of this tire size, so I'll be swapping my 265/75/16's from my old Weld Racing wheels onto these.

jaccox

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2018, 06:53:37 AM »
Kurt is the man over at CO. That's where I got my AISIN's and for a helluva deal at that two years ago when he mistakenly shipped a pallet of them over to the states. Very easy company to do business with.
1999 Montero. 33x10.5x15 General X3's. 4.90's w/rear locker. Full armor. ADD idler arm. ADD 1.5" complete lift. Siberiean Bushings everywhere. 150W alternator with upgraded 4 AWG leads and grounds. 2nd Battery in the rear for camping stuffs to come.