Author Topic: Expedition Build  (Read 834 times)

dieselrider

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
Expedition Build
« on: January 24, 2018, 10:20:53 PM »
Hey Ladys, and Gents,

Gotta few questions for you motley fools...I've done my due diligents first, and scoured the web for answers...it satiated some of my questions, but now i need to ask the experts!

current rig: 95 LS 3.0l with a manual tranny.  The questions i have are...

1) I was under the impression that it was OBDI, however it has and OBDII connect, and when I plug into it nothing happens...whats up?  there is no check engine lights on...im just currious.

2) The ABS doesn't work...what are the things i could check for?...you might be asking why would you want ABS for wheelin'?  well I don't necessarily want it for wheelin', but it's nice for snowy roads...if it's possibly just a relay than maybe I could wire a switch to turn it on and off at my discretion.

3) I'm being given a wrecked 98' with the "SOHC" 3.5l, and locking diff.  these two things are the only parts I'm really interested in.  Unfortunately the axle code on the 98' shows 4.27:1 where my 95' is 4.64:1...If I decide to take on this swap what are the obstacles I have to overcome, and is it even possible?

4) next would be the engine...my 3.0l runs well but has the common problems associated with that engine.  What would be the hurtles I'd have to overcome to transplant the 3.5? I know it'll bolt up, but are the wiring harnesses the same? sensors? etc... what's not the same? I'd like to have those bases covered before the wrenches come out...  I will have to replace to engine eventually, and if I have a 3.5 available then it only makes since I use it right?

after the mechanics are sorted the plan is to cut the roof off of the wrecked 98', and set it on top of the 95' (the 95 has no sunroof) then hinge it in some fashion to create a pop-top somewhat like this.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 10:57:13 PM by dieselrider »

dieselrider

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
Re: Expedition Build
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 10:58:21 PM »
current rig as it sits

jaccox

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 08:04:11 AM »
Okay hope this all makes sense:
Yours is still OB1 but they put a port in there since it was only a year later that OB11 became a thing. You can still do this test light or short two of the circuits and count the flashes of the cluster maintenance light (google this procedure and it should make more sense)
In my opinion stick with the 3.0L and manual tranny, going to the 3.5L if it even mates to the manual trans (no actual clue) is going to likely be a wiring nightmare. You'd be best to part the 3.5L to someone who needs it for their current vehicle and make a little money off the free vehicle
Then with said money for the motor find yourself some 4.90 gears from a montero sport and put them into the air locker axle and replace the front diff entirely with a non-disconnect unit from a Sport to gain 4.90s there as well
With the 4.90 gears and manual trans itll really wake up the potential of the 3.slow and likely improve economy and make it better offroad with lower gears and an airlocker.
Like I said these are just my opinions but that would be my course of action and actually save you time and money. The roof chop thing is crazy but i like it lol
1999 Montero. 33x10.5x15 General X3's. 4.90's w/rear locker. Full armor. ADD idler arm. ADD 1.5" complete lift. Siberiean Bushings everywhere. 150W alternator with upgraded 4 AWG leads and grounds. 2nd Battery in the rear for camping stuffs to come.

dieselrider

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 08:59:01 PM »
That was exactly the info I was looking for thank so much jaccox!...now to figure out the ABS issue...or possibly the ABS unit under the hood is a "dummy" unit just like the OBDII port is.  cheers thanks guys!