Author Topic: Se7en62's '99 Montero Gen 2.5 Overland Build & Adventures  (Read 21284 times)

Se7en62

• The British Empire was built on cups of tea...
Re: 1999 Pajero NL "ROCKET" - Overland Build
« Reply #60 on: May 21, 2018, 09:11:27 PM »
Alright, so here is my update to the "Big 3 Upgrade." All-in I recommend doing this upgrade, especially if you are planning to upgrade other electrical components or add a lot of electrical draw. Even if you don't have those plans, this is a simple enough (time consuming) procedure. You can buy the kits online, or you can build your own from scratch as I have for about $100, plus the cost of whatever tools you don't currently own.

I found this ground strap hanging from the driver's side exhaust manifold. It's suppose to be connected to the main engine ground, so I made sure to clean the copper up and reconnect it with the new grounding wires.

I also found that surface rust from battery acid corrosion, so I sanded it all down, then primed and painted it. The battery support also needed it, so that was done as well. "When in Rome..."

This is the main engine block ground after removing the factory wire.

This is the factory frame ground where the engine and chassis grounds meet. I cleaned the metal with my 20V Dewalt, (2) 10" extensions, and a copper wire bit.

My first idea on the chassis ground was to replicate the factory one, but this configuration didn't work due to fitment issues.

Under the factory chassis ground at the bottom of the fuse box mount is another ground where I cleaned the points and reconnected.

Midway point...

New engine block ground.

New frame ground where the engine block and chassis grounds meet.

New chassis ground for frame (right) and battery (left).

Factory power output on alternator.

New 1/0 AWG power wire from alternator heading to positive terminal of battery.

Buttoned up and finished...

Follow @overland_pajero

1999 Montero "Winter Package" Overland - X3 / ADD / ADHD / ARB / AVN / OME / Bilstein / CVT / DFG / Dometic

Crumb

« Reply #61 on: May 22, 2018, 07:45:11 AM »
I'm so doing this, thanks for sharing.

jaccox

« Reply #62 on: May 22, 2018, 02:45:23 PM »
Looks fantastic. Now you can save me the bear of having to do a proper writeup on this lol. Just be sure to get an ANL on that positive wire to prevent any weird electrical fires that may be possible.
1999 Montero. 33x10.5x15 General X3's. 4.90's w/rear locker. Full armor. ADD idler arm. ADD 1.5" complete lift. Siberiean Bushings everywhere. 150W alternator with upgraded 4 AWG leads and grounds. 2nd Battery in the rear for camping stuffs to come.

Se7en62

« Reply #63 on: May 29, 2018, 08:59:31 PM »
Haha! No problem guys.

Final prep on the rack is nearing a finish. My garage is a wrecked mess, but the epoxy floor makes for a quick clean up.

Anyhow, I hit it with the angle grinder, then wire wheel, then painted it with VHT Roll Bar and Chassis paint. I like that paint because it's self-priming and has a finish that just about matches the ARB bumper. Plus, the left-over paint I have I can touch up my ARB after trips.

I also replaced all of the hardware that came with the Surco mounts with M6 and M8 allen head bolts, washers, and nylon locking nuts. I also added a set of ROAM awning mounts, which I'll use to mount an ARB awning in the future. The rear awning mounts from Rhino haven't arrived yet, but they're on the way.

Mounting of the Pelican's includes (4) Grade 8 - 3/8-16x1-3/4" bolts, washers top and bottom, and nylon lock nuts. To strengthen the Pelican's mounting points, I added some 36" long 16ga 1" wide Aluminum strips that I cut down to (4) 14" pieces. Those will go inside the Pelican cases to provide more structure to the mount. they'll also serve to help re-waterproof the cases when I install them with some silicon.

Follow @overland_pajero

1999 Montero "Winter Package" Overland - X3 / ADD / ADHD / ARB / AVN / OME / Bilstein / CVT / DFG / Dometic

Se7en62

« Reply #64 on: May 31, 2018, 01:07:21 PM »
Yesterday, I noticed that Sam's Club has the Duracell Platinum Group 27 AGM in-stock for $159. That's half the price of a comparable Northstar! I did some digging and it looks like these Duracell AGM batteries are made for Duracell by East Penn, which also makes Deka so I know they're high quality. Their specs are solid too with 93Ah and 900 CA.

I'm going to buy one of these on Saturday unless someone convinces me otherwise.

Follow @overland_pajero

Se7en62

« Reply #65 on: June 04, 2018, 07:50:56 AM »
Alright, a couple updates: The EGR code is gone for now, not sure if it will return pr not but while I was swapping batteries the system was powered down for several hours so it may have done a hard-reset. Fingers crossed, because it's a nuisance.

The battery has been upgraded to the aforementioned Duracell Ultra Group 27M AGM Dual-post. It should run our fridge for a couple days at a time until I can get a Group 31 and mount it in the rear with solar. That's in the months to come.

The other update us that the roof rack is finally finished. It was a lot of time and work, but worth it in the end. This rack will likely last me for years and years to come. The cases up front are hard-mounted to the rack and I also made rubber landing pads for the cross bars that the tent will rest on. These should reduce vibration and negate metal on metal contact.

Now my CVT Mt. Shasta Extended Pioneer is ready to be mounted. I'm going to treat the rain fly with Aqua-Tite and replace the seam tape with Seam Sealer. I also ordered CVT's newer Summit-style tent mounting rails, so those will go on as well.

Follow @overland_pajero

Se7en62

« Reply #66 on: June 08, 2018, 09:51:34 AM »
We've cleaned the tent and it's just about ready to be mounted. I'm just waiting on the rain-fly to seal. We treated it with Aqua-Tite and it take 2-3 days to fully cure. Once that's done, the tent will be loaded from the rear. Then I can install the ARB 4.5' awning with the Rhino Rack mounts I bought. When we designed the roof rack, we actually made it specifically to fit these Rhino Rack mounts in the rear...Why? I don't know...angle iron would have been a lot cheaper. LOL.

Anyhow, our DFG Offroad fridge slide with cutting board has been made. I spoke to Carlos at DFG and he said he's just waiting on another part to arrive and then the slide will ship out. - In anticipation of that being delivered, I went ahead and ordered the materials I need to supply the fridge with constant power. I'm using some 4AWG welding wire from the same manufacturer I used for the "Big 3 Upgrade." It'll run through an 80A Bussman circuit-breaker, then back to a Blue Sea Systems 12-circuit fuse panel with BUS terminal. From there, I'm using a dongle of sorts to provide a 12V DC outlet to the fridge with a 15A inline fuse.

The passenger side window doesn't roll down, so I ordered a replacement regulator as well. That will be here next week and I'll knock it out next weekend.

This weekend I'll be replacing the PO's cheap Chinese alternator with a Denso Reman unit that came in yesterday. I'll get everything I can done with regards to the rear power station, but I also need to install new CV axles, UCA's, LBJ's, and TRE's this weekend as well. - It'll be a busy weekend in 100 heat with 50% humidity, but I can finally seethe light at the end of this 6 month tunnel. Quick, but labor intensive.

I'll post another update this weekend...
Follow @overland_pajero

Se7en62

« Reply #67 on: June 11, 2018, 03:10:39 PM »
As I said before, I had a pulsation in the interior lights that was really consistent. After looking at my voltage readings a couple times and asking around, I found that my alternator was going out. I ordered the Denso Reman unit from Rock Auto and it was a quick 1 hour job that completely eliminated my pulsing lights and stabilized my voltage.

While I had the airbox off, I went ahead and replaced the 4WD solenoid that causes the front wheel lights to flash on the Super-Select display in the dash. This was a $20 fix that took me 5 minutes to do.

Next I started working on my removing and replacing my CV axles. I realized I needed another tool, so I parked that job for this next week.

Next up on the rack was to get the tent tightened down and the rear awning mounted. I used a set of Rhino Rack Foxwing awning mounts. Why? Idk...I could have used angle iron like the sides, but sometimes these things just work out.

I also started to put together my solution to provide steady power to the rear cargo area. I'll finish all of this today after work.

Finally, I needed to give it a test flight, so I drove it down the road to check for rattles or any ither issues. I used rubber strips and 3M tape on all metal on metal contact points between the tent and the rack so there was nothing to report.

As it sits right now, the exterior is just about finished for now...

Follow @overland_pajero

Crumb

« Reply #68 on: June 11, 2018, 04:16:24 PM »
 Nicely done dude!

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
« Reply #69 on: June 12, 2018, 08:11:29 AM »
Looking great! 

It's nice to see these trucks repaired and maintained and improved, instead of just beat until they surrender. 

Se7en62

« Reply #70 on: June 13, 2018, 07:18:25 AM »
Thanks guys! I'm pretty stoked on the results so far. I still have some more work to do in the next 2 weeks, but it's coming along now.

Last night I ran my 4-AWG wires from the battery to an 80A breaker under the hood and then down along the frame rail to a grommet in front of the rear shock. That grommet leads into a small pocket under the back seat that's barely accessible through the bottle-jack door. Once Ifished them through the harness hole, I was able to then route them back out another hole and under the carpet to the driver's side rear wheel well. Then from tehre, I ran them up through the top of the plastic wheel well surround. - It took me a few hours to get it done right, but it's done.

When I got home tonight, I just needed to mount the Blue Sea Systems fuse panel next to the speaker and hook everything up.

For the time being, I'm just using the 12V DC plug extension as an outlet to connect the fridge. Once the fridge slide arrives next week, I'll figure out how to secure it so it won't come lose offroad. - I know an Anderson clip is likely the route I'll go.
Follow @overland_pajero

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
« Reply #71 on: June 13, 2018, 10:37:19 AM »
Thanks for documenting all this.  :)  I ordered all the stuff you did for the Big 3 yesterday, will add to the list of things to thrash out this weekend.
1998 Montero Winter Package (For Sale)
1994 FZJ80 Land Cruiser (Wife's)
2006 V8 4Runner Sport Edition (Mine)

Se7en62

« Reply #72 on: June 14, 2018, 08:48:25 AM »
Another evening in the driveway with positive results. After cleaning the throttle body, idle air control solenoid, MAF sensor, intake tube, filter box and replacing the air filter the Pajero idles like a new truck again.

**Word of caution to those cleaning the MAF, these trucks do use a Korman Vortex MAF, so if you use the MAF cleaner spray, make sure you are spraying from a ways away and without the tube. you'll also want to make sure it's COMPLETELY DRY before turning back on. I used my compressor to dry it from both sides and then let it sit for 20 minutes.**

Removing IAC Valve

Dirty IAC Valve...

Clean IAC Valve

Clean Throttle Body (open and close the butterfly while spraying cleaner and wiped it down real good.) The lower opening is where the IAC Valve mounts and was completely black when I removed the IAC Valve. Make sure to clean it real good and remove as much carbon as you can so the cleaned IAC Valve doesn't have anything to cause it to stick.

Reassembled...

Follow @overland_pajero

reversecaoboy

• I'm new here!
« Reply #73 on: June 15, 2018, 09:42:21 AM »
Good tips.

I've been meaning to do this for a while now. And give my airbox a good cleaning. It managed to get a bunch of mud down at the bottom.

Se7en62

« Reply #74 on: June 20, 2018, 11:08:15 AM »
Alright, so this last weekend I attempted to replace the CV's, but it became a bigger chore than I felt comfortable doing myself. I was able to replace the upper and lower ball joints, but the CV's gave me some trouble. The passenger's side bolts between the CV and the half-shaft didn't want to budge. Honestly, I should have cracked them loose before taking the wheel and knuckle off. The driver's side was another pain since it separated form the inner CV cup and spindle. I tried a few different methods, including a slide hammer and it wouldn't budge.

My mechanic is really good, so I called him up and he said to just bring it over and he could knock them out this week. I should get it back today sometime.

In the interim, my AVM Manual Locking hubs arrived on Saturday to replace my shitty Rigged Ridge units. Then my DFG Offroad fridge slide arrived today. I'm gonna give Carlos at DFG a shoutout here, because he's a stand-up guy and went above and beyond to get me hooked up. When I was looking for a fridge slide, I originally thought I'd build my own. After looking at the cost of locking drawer sliders and metal, I was easily close to $400 in parts once all was said and done. Could it have been done cheaper? Yeah...but I'm particular and don't like to spend the same money twice, or repeat the same job. I'd rather do it right the first time and be done and happy with it.

Anyhow, I searched high and low and even contacted MSA in Oz for their drop-down fridge slide ($1k.) They didn't return my inquiries, so I kept looking and that's when I found DFG Offroad (www.dfgoffroad.com). They're located in Florida and even though his website didn't list my particular interest I contacted him to ask. The very next day he had added this new model to his website and I placed my order online; He even gave me a discount for it being Memorial Day weekend!

It took him 2 weeks to build and ship it and it arrived today unscathed. This will allow us to knock out the interior platform, install the fridge, and the dog bed this week.

Follow @overland_pajero