Author Topic: Se7en62's '99 Montero Gen 2.5 Overland Build & Adventures  (Read 19797 times)

reversecaoboy

• I'm new here!
Re: 1999 Pajero NL "ROCKET" - Overland Build
« Reply #75 on: June 20, 2018, 02:33:56 PM »
Looks awesome.

I've been meaning to ask, how's the ride of the OME springs and ADD Billies unloaded?

I would really love to get the bilsteins but trying to minimize the amount of lift

Se7en62

• The British Empire was built on cups of tea...
« Reply #76 on: June 21, 2018, 06:08:17 AM »
Looks awesome.

I've been meaning to ask, how's the ride of the OME springs and ADD Billies unloaded?

I would really love to get the bilsteins but trying to minimize the amount of lift

My 1999 Montero rides smoother than my 2015 Silverado Crew. If you aren't planning on carrying extra weight (RTT, Fridge, etc.) go with the standard OME springs in the rear (I have a spare set if you're interested). If you need the extra capacity, get the Expedition Springs since they are designed to handle an extra 400 lbs of cargo, but unladen they do create a slightly rougher ride without being pre-loaded by said cargo weight. The whole system with the Bilsteins only lifts the truck by less than one-inch before you load anything.
Follow @overland_pajero

1999 Montero "Winter Package" Overland - X3 / ADD / ADHD / ARB / AVN / OME / Bilstein / CVT / DFG / Dometic

Se7en62

« Reply #77 on: June 25, 2018, 10:06:08 AM »
Being our last weekend before our big trip, we needed to get a couple big cargo management items checked off the list: Beyza's dog platform and the cargo foundation and fridge slide.

The fridge slide was a custom request for a slide with a cutting board for our Dometic CFX95DZW. Carlos at DFG Offroad Accessories made it happen. I highly recommend him. - One of the rivets came out and FedEx damaged the locking mechanism in transit. I sent a quick text and he shipped me replacements overnight. He's a stand-up guy and DFG offers fridge slides for most fridge brands and models. If you need something that's not on the website [like I did] just ask him and he'll build it.

My wife and mother-in-law worked on Beyza's dog platform and after I pick up a couple bolts today, it will go in at the same time the fridge is mounted.

I also replaced the window regulator in the passengers side front door. It was quick painless and now the window works perfectly.

Follow @overland_pajero

1999 Montero "Winter Package" Overland - X3 / ADD / ADHD / ARB / AVN / OME / Bilstein / CVT / DFG / Dometic

Se7en62

« Reply #78 on: June 26, 2018, 07:27:34 AM »
Fridge is in and the slide works perfectly. It's a bit big, but I'm not complaining given the deal I got on the fridge. LOL. I can always build a trailer and remount it, or stick it in my truck bed. It's fine for now. - I won't be able to get the drawers and rear deck done before we leave on Friday, but I do plan to add a pair of stacked drawers on the left side and a deck across the top with a piano hinge above the fridge to allow entry from inside if we wanted.

Here's the final few things that I'll knock out today and tomorrow:
  • Buy longer M10x1.25 bolts for the dog's platform and finish fitting it.
  • Finish permanent wiring for fridge to fuse box.
  • Connect and fit 10A 8-outlet quick USB charger.
  • Convert in-dash DC outlet to be constantly on.<-- Any beta on this to speed up my process?
  • Odds and ends...
Follow @overland_pajero

Crumb

« Reply #79 on: June 26, 2018, 07:54:54 AM »
Make sure you post up a long term on that fridge in a couple years.

Se7en62

« Reply #80 on: June 26, 2018, 08:52:56 AM »
Make sure you post up a long term on that fridge in a couple years.

I will. Dometic has been doing mobile fridges forever, so I fully expect to keep this fridge until it dies in 15 or 20 years.
Follow @overland_pajero

Se7en62

« Reply #81 on: June 27, 2018, 06:27:48 AM »
Beyza (our Turkish #Akbash) is already enjoying her new doggy platform we built for her. Being a 100 lb dog, she wasn't going to be too stable offroad in the backseat so this is what we came up with. I cut the plywood to fit, then my wife used some foam padding, a layer of waterproofing material, and then a heavy canvas for the top. She stepled it around the bottom. It's bolted to the floor using the factory bolt holes that would normally mount the rear seats. Then I reused the rear seat mounts so that we could still hook the cargo net divider up to the floor to make it tight.

Follow @overland_pajero

MrGalantguy

• Yes...I own Galants
« Reply #82 on: June 27, 2018, 09:17:44 AM »
Great build sir.

The itch to invest in a mobile fridge is getting stronger. ::)
-1998 Montero (Winter package & Adjustable suspension)
-2002 Montero Limited
-1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000
-1996 Galant 4G64t 5spd
Owner of: Nostalgic JDM
Facebook: Nostalgic JDM
Business Instagram: @nostalgic_jdm407
Personal Instagram: @itsaboutfam

Se7en62

« Reply #83 on: June 27, 2018, 11:46:24 AM »
Great build sir.

The itch to invest in a mobile fridge is getting stronger. ::)

Thank you! I tell ya, just keep your eyes peeled on FB Marketplace and CL. I scored this one for less than half of what they retail for because a local outfitter didn't need it as a display demo anymore. They had only run it for 2 months as a display model on their showroom floor.
Follow @overland_pajero

Se7en62

« Reply #84 on: June 29, 2018, 10:28:54 AM »
My Montero is as done as it's going to get for now. - There's a few more things I'd like to square away, but they'll have to wait because it's time to hit the road! Today, we're heading out on a 9-day 2,800mi (4,500km) overland loop that will include over 500 miles and 71,000' of gain/loss across Colorado's epic BDR including 4x4 tracks, forest roads, alpine lakes, and mountain passes. I'm stoked!

Towns, Trails and Passes along route:
Cortez, CO
Dolores River Canyon 4x4 Track (28 miles and 5 river crossings.)
Ground Hog Pass
Last Dollar Rd.
Alta Lakes
Ophir Pass
Clear Lake
Ophir Pass (Reverse)
Telluride, CO
Imogene Pass
Yankee Boy Basin
Governor Basin
Mt. Sneffels Trailhead
Ouray, CO
Corkscrew Pass
Hurricane Pass
California Pass
Engineer Pass
Alpine Loop [Northside]
Lake City, CO <-- Fireworks!
McDonough Reservoir
Pitkin, CO
Hancock Pass
Hancock Lake
Pomeroy Lake
Mount Antero
White Mountain
Buena Vista, CO - Sandy OHV Tracks
Turquoise Lake
Hagerman Pass
Sylvan Lake

Follow @overland_pajero

Crumb

« Reply #85 on: June 29, 2018, 07:20:25 PM »
 can't wait for the trip report!

Se7en62

« Reply #86 on: July 09, 2018, 08:16:57 AM »
We just got back and I'm working on a full-length article, a short recap of the trip, and lots of photos going up on my Instagram @overland_pajero.

Our route was adjusted IRT to allow us the time to push further north into the Routt NF, nixing our track through the Dolores River Canyon. We'll save that for next time...We also had to nix the areas between Buena Vista and Weston Pass due to a new forest fire that started burning near the pass.

The only mechanical issue we encountered was a bad radiator cap that gave up the ghost on Ophir Pass at 11,500'. We made a new temporary seal for it using some rubber from a solar shower that we cut up, then picked up a new cap when we went through Gunnison the following day. Spec is 15 lbs and someone had installed a 13 lb cap, so no wonder. - The one I installed was an $8 Murray unit rated for 16 lbs and we didn't have an issue after that. Needless to say, I will be adding a spare radiator cap to our parts bin on future overland trips.

Towns, Trails, Passes, and National Forests that we explored:
Cortez, CO
Dolores, CO
San Juan NF
4x4 Trails to Groundhog Reservoir
Ground Hog Pass CAMP #1
Last Dollar Rd.
Alta Lakes
Ophir Pass
Clear Lake and the 585 Valley CAMP #2
Uncompaghre NF
Ouray, CO
Corkscrew Pass
Hurricane Pass
Alaska Basin to over 13,000'
California Pass
Engineer Pass
Alpine Loop [Northside] CAMP #3
Lake City, CO
Guadalupe NF
Los Pinos Pass
Gunnison NF
Gunnison, CO
Pitkin, CO
Hancock Pass CAMP #4
Buena Vista, CO
Leadville, CO
Turquoise Lake
Hagerman Pass CAMP #5
Ivanhoe Lake
White River NF
Sylvan Lake CAMP #6
4x4 Tracks Northeast of Sylvan Lake
Gypsum, CO
Old Mine Trail through Gypsum OHV area
Colorado River Valley
Medicine Bow-Routt NF CAMP #7
Arapaho NF
Follow @overland_pajero

MudRaider

« Reply #87 on: July 11, 2018, 08:13:23 AM »
It's been great following this on here and the pics on IG. Thanks for the effort of documenting.

Se7en62

Re: Se7en62's '99 Montero NL Build & Adventures
« Reply #88 on: December 03, 2018, 10:25:53 AM »
I just realized that I haven't updated this thread in a while, so here it goes:

In July, my wife and I met up with some friends in Colorado to explore over 600 miles of backroads, alpine passes, and 4x4 trails over a 9 day stint, making 7 remote camps across the state.  We followed the same BDR we completed last year, but this year we took our time and explored more along the way.

The Montero was comfortable on the 2,200 miles of highway and handled the 600 miles off-road with ease. With all the extra weight on-board, it's factory lockers made easy work of the larger obstacles on Hancock Pass. - Not bad for a 19 year old truck I built from stock in 6 months!  Though, 4.90's have definitely been added to my short-list.

The trip itself went off without an issue aside from my radiator cap failing at 11,500' on Ophir Pass. The previous owner had used a cheap one and the gasket had just split. We cut up my solar shower to create a makeshift gasket to get us through the next 2 days and 150 miles of trail to Gunnison where an OEM unit was waiting.

Along the way we racked up over 70,000' of elevation gain/loss in 7 different national forests. We were even fortunate enough to spot three Moose, two Black Bear, two Porcupines, and dozens of Mule Deer and other critters.

All said and done, it was another epic overland trip across Colorado's stunning BDR. (Pics below are chronological...and OutdoorX4 is publishing my article titled "Montero Milestones" this month.)

Follow @overland_pajero

Se7en62

Re: Se7en62's '99 Montero NL Build & Adventures
« Reply #89 on: December 03, 2018, 11:32:50 AM »
After we got home, I put another couple thousand miles on it and then the radiator let go. It was a cheap Spectre replacement and even though I know the brass-core OEM unit is superior my schedule and the radiators availability meant that it would be replaced with another Spectre radiator. I also replaced the upper and lower radiator hoses and installed a new OEM thermostat.

Follow @overland_pajero