Author Topic: Se7en62's '99 Montero Gen 2.5 Overland Build & Adventures  (Read 20540 times)

Crumb

Re: 1999 Pajero NL "ROCKET" - Overland Build
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2018, 12:45:00 PM »
That's awesome, dogs are my favorite animals ever! Thanks for sharing.

Se7en62

• The British Empire was built on cups of tea...
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2018, 06:52:52 AM »
No real progress to update about, but there has been a good amount of mental elasticity lately. My ADD skid plates are all in and laying on the garage floor..They're so pretty that I don't want to install them. LOL. I just need to tap a couple mounting holes on my Pajero and re-thread them from the factory M8-1.25 to an M10-1.25 since they were a little stripped out. Then the skids should go on without issue. I was able to test fit them and they're a perfect fit and look really sick, so I'm stoked to get them on this weekend!  8)

I'm also waiting on new UCA's, ball joints, and tie rod ends to come in. Once those arrive, I'll do them at the same time I replace the CV axles. Then all the baseline maintenance will be done for a while.

Otherwise, I'm following ImNoSaint's lead on the use of a cargo net from Safari Straps. I ordered the same 41" x 28" net that he used as his cargo/pet divider and plan to go a similar route with a 'dog deck' in place of the 2nd row seats. My only alterations will be to the height of the floor (I think) and the added ability to unbolt/unlock the floor and fold it into a vertical position for when we need to install the 2nd row seats.

I'm working out the rear deck, fridge slide, drawers, and other specifics but I think this system should work really well for us. - It's just my wife and I and our dog.
Follow @overland_pajero

1999 Montero "Winter Package" Overland - X3 / ADD / ADHD / ARB / AVN / OME / Bilstein / CVT / DFG / Dometic

jaccox

« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2018, 07:05:27 AM »
FWIW I made my own safari net for like 1/8th the price of buying one. It took an afternoon and breaking some rust off on the sewing since I had not sewn in a while. It's not the prettiest and still could use a revision or two but here's a pic with it holding as many pillows comforter and blankets I could find to see if it would indeed hold.
1999 Montero. 33x10.5x15 General X3's. 4.90's w/rear locker. Full armor. ADD idler arm. ADD 1.5" complete lift. Siberiean Bushings everywhere. 150W alternator with upgraded 4 AWG leads and grounds. 2nd Battery in the rear for camping stuffs to come.

Se7en62

« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2018, 02:45:05 PM »
Everything has arrived, so hopefully I'll get the CV's, UCA's, TRE's, and LBJ's done this weekend. - The 'attic' net came in and turned out to work perfectly.

Follow @overland_pajero

1999 Montero "Winter Package" Overland - X3 / ADD / ADHD / ARB / AVN / OME / Bilstein / CVT / DFG / Dometic

Sir_Monty

• I'm new here!
« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2018, 07:26:09 AM »
Very cool can't wait to see everything done. Also did you get TRE lockers for both front and back? Or just front since you have the OEM rear locker.

Se7en62

« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2018, 07:04:21 AM »
Very cool can't wait to see everything done. Also did you get TRE lockers for both front and back? Or just front since you have the OEM rear locker.

Oh, sorry for the confusion. "TRE's" as in Tie Rod Ends. LOL. I do have the factory rear locker, but will likely go with either the ARB or TRE Air Locker. I'm kind of waiting around to see how other guy's TRE lockers and compressors hold up after wheeling them for a few months.
Follow @overland_pajero

Se7en62

« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2018, 10:38:36 AM »
Yesterday, I picked up the steel for this weekend's fabrication. My buddy and I are going to build a full-length roof rack measuring about 96"x50" and using (8) Surco GM100 5.5" Gutter Mounts. The dynamic-load requirements for this rack are to provide a stable platform for our CVT Mt. Shasta RTT, which weights about 170 lbs, a pair of loaded Pelican iM2700's around 20 lbs each, and some misc. items like recovery boards and lights; I'm guessing a total of about 265 lbs. The static-load when we're camping will increase to 600 lbs with my wife and I inside the tent with a backpack.

Below is the list of materials I bought (UPDATED w/ WHAT WE USED 5/12/18):
  • 8 Surco GM100 5-1/2" Gutter Mounts - Weight: 2 lbs
  • (2 @ 21") 3" x 1" 11ga (0.120") Rectangle Tube - Weight: 6 lbs/ea. = 12 lbs
  • (2 @ 96") 2" x 1" 11ga (0.120") Rectangle Tube - Weight: 18 lbs/ea. = 36 lbs
  • (1 @ 48") 1" OD (0.083") CREW Round Tube - Weight: 0.8 lbs/ft. = 3.25 lbs
  • (8 @ 48") 1" x 1" 14ga (0.083") Square Tube - Weight: 4.12 lbs/ea. = 32.9 lbs
  • (2 @ 48") 1" x 1" 11ga (0.120") Square Tube - Weight: 5.7 lbs/ea. = 11.4 lbs
  • (2 @ 8" x 24") 3/4" 9ga Extruded Steel - Weight: 0.5 lbs/ea. = 1.0 lb
  • Total Weight: 98.5 lbs + Welding Wire

I'll revise this list with what was used, as I DO NOT expect this rack to end up weighing over 100 lbs. I had actually incorrectly ordered the first time, then kept some of that order as well as the new material for the revised design/order. I'm moving forward with a target weight of under 90 lbs*.

Follow @overland_pajero

Se7en62

« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2018, 06:36:49 AM »
We finished the fabrication of the roof rack Saturday. It's final measurements are 96" (L) x 50" (W) and based on a metals calculator it weighs around 98.5 lbs. There's dedicated space for my CVT Mt. Shasta Extended RTT which is 54" (L) x 48 (W), recovery boards, two Pelican iM2700 cases, and water storage. We also used some round tubing in the rear to use as awning mounts using some Rhino Rack parts. The side awning will be secured with a couple pieces of 3"x3"3/4" angle iron, cut into 1" strips. Now I need to take it down, prep it for paint, drill a couple holes to mount the Pelican's, and paint it. Then it'll be finished.

We used a couple 'templates' of 1x1 tack-welded to a pair of the mounts to check outside diameter of each gutter-mounted crossbar.

Then we mounted the side-bars and adjusted the height of the gutter-mounts 2 and 3.

Once we knew everything was square, my buddy started tacked, then welded all the other crossbars and support structure.

It fits perfectly, it's balanced, and wind-noise is minimal with only a steady low-hum from about 45mph and up that doesn't increase in noise with speed.

Follow @overland_pajero

Crumb

« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2018, 04:12:17 PM »
Neato!

Se7en62

« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2018, 08:43:29 PM »
Had a breif studder in the RPM earlier this week. After a breif conversation on the Montero group on FB I came home and inspected and cleaned my EGR valve. That didn't work, so I ordered a new one off Amazon for $45 and installed it today.  These are really easy to swap out and it's obvious when they are bad. In my case, the diaphragm was all torn up.

Here's the Part# I ordered from Amazon. It came with a new gasket too.

New (LEFT) and Old (RIGHT)

New EGR Valve installed. - This literally take 5 minutes to accomplish.
Follow @overland_pajero

Se7en62

« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2018, 09:37:51 PM »
I've been noticing that I have a consistent voltage drop between the 14V+ I see when driving, versus the 10.8-11.2V I see when I'm at a stop but still in gear. To remedy the issue, I've decided to upgrade my factory grounds and power wires in a kit referred to as "The Big 3."

I wasn't impressed with most of the store bought or pre-assembled "Big 3" kits. Instead I decided to build my own from parts readily available on Amazon. I went with 1/0 to give me plenty of room for upgrades on both the alternator and battery side. My current alternator is the factory 100A unit, but I plan to upgrade that in the future.

• IWISS 5-50mm (10-1/0 AWG) Crimping Tool w/ Cutter ($30)
  • EWCS 1/0 AWG Extra-Flex Welding Wire - 50' Red/Black ($55)
  • Selterm 1/0 AWG 3/8" Stud Eyelet Lug - 5 Pack ($8)
  • Selterm 1/0 AWG 5/16" Stud Eyelet Lug - 5 Pack ($8)
  • Crimp Supply Military-style Battery Terminals ($18)
  • TemCo 3/4" Marine Heat Shrink Tube - 4'/ea. Red/Black ($13)

I'll be installing all this tomorrow and will make a follow-up post with more pictures. The only thing I'm still considering is adding a 350A breaker or ANL fuse near the battery to protect the 1/0 AWG wire from shorting in the event of an accident and causing a fire. I can always install that later, so we'll see. Maybe some of you have some valuable input or advise for me.
Follow @overland_pajero

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2018, 06:38:55 AM »
Interested to see how the ground upgrades work out.  :)  My factory volt gauge has been all over the place, but the truck appears to not care, other than definitely dropping some voltage at lights in gear.  (Slight light dimming, fan speed decrease)  So far i've figured that if it was really in the "bad zone" i'd get the charge light.  But that may be hubris.  :P
1998 Montero Winter Package (For Sale)
1994 FZJ80 Land Cruiser (Wife's)
2006 V8 4Runner Sport Edition (Mine)

Crumb

« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2018, 01:38:47 PM »
Yeah report back on the ground upgrade

Se7en62

« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2018, 02:45:41 PM »
Interested to see how the ground upgrades work out.  :)  My factory volt gauge has been all over the place, but the truck appears to not care, other than definitely dropping some voltage at lights in gear.  (Slight light dimming, fan speed decrease)  So far I've figured that if it was really in the "bad zone" i'd get the charge light.  But that may be hubris.  :P

Everything you've stated is exactly what I'm dealing with and it's annoying me. LOL. I've completed the ground and power wire upgrade and while it didn't remedy the issue I still feel much more confident in the truck's overall long-term reliability. The issue of flickering lights is actually MORE noticeable now, which to me signals the alternator being the root cause of the problem. My logic is that the transmission of energy from the alternator is now intensified by the more efficient grounds and power cable, making the light flickering more noticeable than before. It's a win. - Now I just need to test and probably replace the alternator since it's a cheap Chinese unit the PO had installed.

Yeah report back on the ground upgrade

I'll create a post when I get home to go over the procedure I completed. It took me all day, but that's because I'm anal-retentive and fixed or mended everything else I saw along the way: sanded, primed, and painted the area below the battery including the tray where year's of leaking batteries caused some surface rust; replaced the factory wiring harness sheathing back to the firewall; removed and replaced the factory Ground wires at Engine/Frame, Frame/Chassis, Chassis/Battery, including cleaning each ground location to bare metal and spraying with either clear-coat or silicone sealant; and improving two additional grounds below the factory fuse box.
Follow @overland_pajero

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2018, 03:35:54 PM »
Ah yeah that was the other one.  My brake light (i have a sinking fluid level sensor, so my light is almost always on) pulses with the turn signals.
1998 Montero Winter Package (For Sale)
1994 FZJ80 Land Cruiser (Wife's)
2006 V8 4Runner Sport Edition (Mine)