Author Topic: gen2 PTO and bellhousing  (Read 3749 times)

dieselrider

• I'm new here!
gen2 PTO and bellhousing
« on: January 28, 2018, 09:13:06 PM »
     Ok...so some scouring the web, and I found mention of a factory PTO for the gen2's V5MT2 transmission which I have...I didn't find a lot, but defiantly found reference to it...I found more about the gen1's.   So I took a glance under my rig, and sure enough there's a 6 hole plate on the passenger side of the the transfer case for said PTO...not only that there's access holes in the plastic underneath to allow the PTO shaft to go to the front.  Anyone have info on this? It would be sweet to put one in... And does anyone know if our transmission "gear box" goes by any other designation other than V5MT2?...possibly other Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep applications...the reason why im asking is that theres possibly a PTO that'll fit a different application including ours.

Oh and how 'bout the bell housing on the V5MT2?  Is there any other bell housings that'll fit? preferably toyota/Chevy/or possibly ford?...I know this sounds like an odd question, but I'm searching for a "semi" easy solution to mate a OM617 mercedes diesel to the V5MT2...I'm no stranger to swaps...Ive done several mercedes to toyota's.  Often time's transmission "gear boxes" are used in many different make vehicles under different designations, and if its as easy as swapping bellhousings for something that an adapter plate is already exists for...the easy peasy...just putting the feelers out...you guys have been great so far.  thanks

dieselrider

• I'm new here!
Re: gen2 PTO and bellhousing
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 09:39:24 PM »
this might be an option for the PTO  http://www.optimadrives.de/c_mitsubishi_76_en.html

ThePug

• I'm new here!
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 11:52:41 PM »
I am super interested hopefully this works out next time I'm underived I'm going to have to look

ChargerX3

• I'm new here!
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 08:06:26 AM »
I have your same trans in my Max. Have a picture of your trans where it mates?

Crumb

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 09:23:15 AM »
 You also need the PTO gear inside the T-case, ours don't have it. You may also need to modify the shift rail or buy a PTO equipped T-case shift rail, basically this is a notch in the rail to catch the detent ball in the PTO position. As for the V5MT1, it is a Mitsubishi transmission and as far as i have seen it's only equipped in Mitsubishi 4WDs.

Interested to see this turn out, a guy in Colorado put the PTO winch on his truck but he's long gone.

dieselrider

• I'm new here!
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 05:49:41 PM »
here ya go chargerx3

dieselrider

• I'm new here!
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2018, 05:53:37 PM »
thanks toasty...knowing that it can be done, and has been done gives me confidence to pursue this...and if it's relatively straight forward...I'll certainly keep the post going for all you to drool over... however i drive my rig almost daily so it might be somewhat slow process... cheers

ChargerX3

• I'm new here!
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2018, 07:13:30 AM »
Thanks mine looks the same. Get sr done.

Crumb

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2018, 08:34:30 PM »
 I recall Cap'nCrunch (the other guy who did the PTO install) ordered his PTO gear from Mark's4WD with his crawler gears.

dieselrider

• I'm new here!
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2018, 08:27:31 PM »
Awesome TOASTY! thats a super good lead!...I've contacted them, now waiting for a response.

Crumb

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2018, 07:27:42 AM »
Hopefully it was good info!