Author Topic: Need a favor  (Read 1373 times)

Alan

• Spare no expense to save money on this one.
    • View Profile
Need a favor
« on: January 31, 2018, 02:16:55 AM »
Hi there,

Owning a Pajero (I'm EU based) has been a life long dream of mine. More specifically, the Gen 1. Now I finally found one. It's a 1990, manual, petrol, with 180.000 KM. It's a 4-5 hour drive for me, so just popping by to inspect the vehicle is not an option, also because it's in another country and just driving it home if I decide to buy it is not possible (insurance,  plates, etc.). So if I decide to go for it, I will have to go with a trailer, etc. Of course if the car turns out to be a no go, I will still abort, but I would like to minimize this chance.
I asked the seller to take some pictures. This is where I hope I can call on you guys for a favor. Could you please check out the pics to see if you see something that would be a real no go. I am of course going to repair/detail the car to my liking, so I am prepared to do work, but if you see anything that would be too major, please let me know.
If any of you could check out the pictures, and let me know what you think; much obliged!
I'm at work at the moment (and quite busy), so apologies for any grammatical errors or hasty typing.

Here are the links to the pics and one video of the car running:

https://we.tl/dCMI2v1EXL

https://we.tl/IuLm0mNQFS

Thanks in advance!

Alan

« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 02:25:15 AM by Alan »

TOASTY

• Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
Re: Need a favor
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 07:30:02 AM »
Looks solid, minimal rust and looks like it has rear A/C? If the price is right I'd roll the dice on it.

Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 05:33:56 AM »
Thanks, TOASTY! Much obliged.

No idea if it has rear A/C. Did you deduct this from the two controllers/switches at the top of the center console?

Due to the language barrier I can't really communicate well with the seller, so getting extra details is quite a hassle. Good thing pictures need no translation...

I am most likely going to pull the trigger. Now I'm looking for a place to store the car for a while.

If everything goes well, I hope to frequent this place a lot more the coming years :)

TOASTY

• Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 07:22:06 AM »
It looked like AC lines under the body near the rocker panel.

Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 07:58:50 AM »
Ah I see. I have much to learn about cars in general, and even more so about the Pajero/Montero. Never too old to learn (I hope).

Can I trouble you for some other advice? I won't have the opportunity (time and money wise) to work on the car this year, so I will have to store the car somewhere. I don't have any storage space at my home, and I can't park it on the street (I won't register the vehicle until it is 30 years old due to tax reasons, which means it can't be used on the road until then), so it will be at some commercial storing facility. I won't be able to work on the car there. Next year I plan on finding a place where I can store and work on the car. In the meantime, I am going to read up on car repair.
You reckon I can leave the car in the state it is for another year, or is removing the rust and giving the car a thorough cleaning an absolute must before storing it for the year? Finding a place to remove the rust and renting/borrowing a trailer for more days will bring more hassle and costs, so trying to figure out if it's worth it...
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 08:01:00 AM by Alan »

Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 02:54:23 AM »
I pulled the trigger  8)

I don't have a name, money or time for it yet, but I'm looking forward to getting my hands dirty.

TOASTY

• Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 08:52:50 AM »
Congrats dude!

PajEvo

• Global Moderator
  • "The Canadian"
    • View Profile
    • JDM Journeys
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 07:05:31 PM »
Yay! Looks great! Consider doing a build thread to document your progress. Even if its just a resto, they are great to look back on.

Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2018, 11:55:44 AM »
Thanks guys!  8)
Will definitely make a build thread once the build is on.

Oh, and it does indeed have rear  A/C. Was quite a hassle to figure this out, almost had to take the whole car apart. For the detailed description and pics look here: https://imgur.com/a/mQXm5

RXIN HED

• Global Moderator
  • Montero Ranch
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2018, 08:09:53 PM »
Dig the colors, so cool
1988 Max SPX Extended Cab 4wd with Service Body & Starion Power
1980 Dodge W400 service truck

For Sale: 1983 Montero #277, 1989 Power Ram 50 extended cab
Sundry Gen 1 Montero and Gen 1 & 2 Mighty Max parts and vehicles for sale