Author Topic: Water leaking from behind the dash (2003 Limited)  (Read 1023 times)

RAWags

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
Water leaking from behind the dash (2003 Limited)
« on: February 12, 2018, 12:28:19 PM »
My Montero's drain for both the sunroof and the AC condensation must be plugged. I keep getting water draining into the passenger footwell. I took the blower fan out and drove around a roundabout until I got dizzy and got all the water drained. I can't keep doing that!

Does anyone know where the drain is? I've googled and watched a couple YouTube videos and they say it's on the firewall, center of the engine about half-way down. I've spent over an hour above and below the truck trying to find it with no luck. Thinking I might need a dental mirror to see it? 

2003 Mitsubishi Montero
1993 Nissan Pathfinder
1995 Toyota 4Runner (sold)

haolepinoy

• My Montero Hates Me
    • View Profile
Re: Water leaking from behind the dash (2003 Limited)
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 02:33:23 PM »
It is a real pain to find, but use your heater core as a reference. You'll see a white tube below the two heater hoses, sticking out ever-so-slightly. I couldn't find mine until after I'd taken apart the top of my engine for other stuff. If I recall, it is easier to see from the driver-side...but it isn't easy to see.
'03 Montero Limited - being repaired slightly faster than it's falling apart (debatable)

Middle-earth by Montero

My Friend's Super Epic Build Thread

haolepinoy

• My Montero Hates Me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 06:49:20 AM »
Here's a picture I found of the drain. If not obvious, it is the white tube with the pipe cleaner sticking out of it.

Condensation Drain Line (2) by John Rimmer

Note, in the picture my intake plenum and heads are removed, so it is not normally so easy to see. The lines and brackets should provide some visual aids to locating the drain though.
'03 Montero Limited - being repaired slightly faster than it's falling apart (debatable)

Middle-earth by Montero

PajEvo

• Global Moderator
  • "The Canadian"
    • View Profile
    • JDM Journeys
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 07:28:22 PM »
Here's a picture I found of the drain. If not obvious, it is the white tube with the pipe cleaner sticking out of it.

Note, in the picture my intake plenum and heads are removed, so it is not normally so easy to see. The lines and brackets should provide some visual aids to locating the drain though.

KARMA added for you Haolepinoy! That's the best pointer I've ever seen for the drain hole. Excellent work sir!

RAWags

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 03:51:28 PM »

This is the first picture I've ever seen of the drain! Thank you so much for posting it. With the help of the dental mirror I bought I'm confident I can get the drain unplugged. Thank you so much!
2003 Mitsubishi Montero
1993 Nissan Pathfinder

RAWags

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2018, 04:07:36 PM »
Wanted to let you know I was able to get this fixed with the help of your picture! I got the mirror and could see the drain after knowing where to look. The problem was I couldn't get to it. So, I recruited my 12-year-old daughter. She was able to twist her arm around and get the bottle cleaning brush into the tube. Thanks again for your help!

These bottle brushes worked perfectly. Could bend them enough to get into the drain but were stiff enough to clean out the drain. {OUNONA 10 Pcs Nylon Tube Brushes Straw Set for Drinking Straws}
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 04:10:15 PM by RAWags »
2003 Mitsubishi Montero
1993 Nissan Pathfinder

haolepinoy

• My Montero Hates Me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2018, 07:18:46 PM »
Awesome. Much easier than removing the heads like I had to, haha.

Middle-earth by Montero

MrGalantguy

• Yes...I own Galants
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2018, 05:39:38 AM »
This is a great tip. I was wondering for years where the drain was for my wifes Gen 3 in case I ran into this issue...fortunately not yet but its good to know for preventative maintenance.
-1998 Montero (Winter package & Adjustable suspension)
-2002 Montero Limited
-1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000
-1996 Galant 4G64t 5spd
Owner of: Nostalgic JDM
Facebook: Nostalgic JDM
Business Instagram: @nostalgic_jdm407
Personal Instagram: @itsaboutfam