Author Topic: Taking Another Swing At The 87 "Type R" Turbo Raider  (Read 1798 times)

JohnnyBfromPeoria

• I'm Getting Around To It
  • Get Off My Lawn! Or gravel, or whatever it is!
Taking Another Swing At The 87 "Type R" Turbo Raider
« on: February 19, 2018, 09:09:09 PM »
I've had this one '87 Raider for about 15 years now. A long time ago, I bought a G54BT out of an '88 Starion and had it shipped to me, along with the wiring harness, computer, spark box (which I lost and had to replace), intercooler and some other parts I didn't use.

I installed the engine after doing some refreshing like putting in new balance shaft chain guides, some new gaskets, a kit into the throttle body, having the injectors cleaned, but I never even bolted the engine up to the transmission (an auto KM-148 the Montero already had). Toasty installed the intercooler. Then it sat. For a long time.

I decided one year to send the truck over to the pre-ADD shop for finishing, where Josh and Adam toiled for many hours installing the fuel pump, radiator and a bunch of wiring interfacings. It was nearing time for the thing to be started. Then Josh gave me bad news: The flexplate I installed with the engine was the wrong one and wouldn't bolt up to the transmission. Things ground to a halt as I sought and obtained the proper plate, by which time the truck was back at my place sitting around like the jerk I made it into.

By this time I had pulled the gas tank to clean it out and got a new fuel filler hose for it since the old one was Swiss-Cheesy. I bought a hi-perf downpipe to replace the funky stock piece with the built-in pre-cat. I bought a 2.5" catalytic converter and a 2.5" DynoMax VT muffler. I bought a bunch of LED light bulbs. And the truck still sat. Then I decided I wanted to move, so the truck got moved. To a corner of my yard. And sat.

Until yesterday. I had to move it to get Jorge's 85 out to sell so the 87 rolled into the driveway. And it kept rolling, over to my canopied area where some actual work has actually almost taken place, though not on this vehicle.

But this is it, dang it. I'm gonna put that gas tank back in. I'm gonna pull that durn engine and swap the flexplate and install the downpipe. I'm gonna put my electric fan on my fancy aluminum radiator. Then I'm gonna call what Toasty is calling:

The Dream Team

That's the assemblage of the greatest minds in Montero history (within a 100 mile radius that I know and can afford to feed), to help figure out what has been left off, forgotten, catches fire or was willfully ignored to see if it can be made to run. 2018 is it. 15 years of expired plates will have to be explained away at the DMV, and I'm just the guy to do it.

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? NO! Now who's with me?!

John B.
AZ Crew/East Sider/Former 14th St Crew
95 SR, 35x12.5-15 on 8" steelies, 2" BL, stuff cut off, stuff welded on, lights, sound, front ARB pending
87 Raider, There's a turbo 2.6 under its hood, really
83 "Dodge" Power Ram 50, a bit lifted, way slow and gets more comments from random people than the other two put together
'95 Montero SR. Pretty much stock, Trail Gear Sliders, ADD skid plates, Stereo by Shovel, Timing maintenance by Pa_Jero

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
Re: Taking Another Swing At The 87 "Type R" Turbo Raider
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 01:17:58 PM »
I can clean things,  follow instructions and bring beverages.   

But not this weekend. 

MontyPtn

• Wobbly Drive-Shafts!
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 01:56:36 PM »
I am here to offer support and encouragement. Being a recent convert to all things Montero I am extremely interested in your build.

Hell if I'm close enough I offer up my newbie wrenching assistance too!
'87 2.6L SWB (Red & Rusty)

JohnnyBfromPeoria

• I'm Getting Around To It
  • Get Off My Lawn! Or gravel, or whatever it is!
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 08:19:48 PM »
I am here to offer support and encouragement. Being a recent convert to all things Montero I am extremely interested in your build.

Hell if I'm close enough I offer up my newbie wrenching assistance too!

I live on the edge - of the metro area, that is. I'm all the way east at about Idaho Rd and Brown (which becomes Lost Dutchman out my way). I'm home on the weekends and either working or asleep during the week, so that doesn't usually work out well.

The Starion engine swap is an interesting set-up. It was once considered daring and exciting, but those times are gone, as bigger and better things have come along (also smaller and better). But it still should roughly double the top-end HP of the stock 4 cylinder engine and provide a very needed punch of torque. The 88-89 engine was considered the best G54BT set-up, as it had the most refined throttle body set up, better electronics and the intercooler. The bottom end of the 4 cylinder is tough already, and this added piston squirters underneath for additional cooling and lube supplied by the oil pump. I scrapped the stock cylinder head for an aftermarket new casting Clearwater head with hydraulic valve lash adjusters and two valves per cylinder instead of the MCA jet-valve three valve set-up that came stock and had an issue or two with age. I retained the Montero's three row radiator.

We'll see what happens.

MontyPtn, your signature says you're looking for an SR rear end. I'm willing to bet one turns up shortly if you make that a separate topic in the "Wanted" section and you're local.

John B.
AZ Crew/East Sider/Former 14th St Crew
95 SR, 35x12.5-15 on 8" steelies, 2" BL, stuff cut off, stuff welded on, lights, sound, front ARB pending
87 Raider, There's a turbo 2.6 under its hood, really
83 "Dodge" Power Ram 50, a bit lifted, way slow and gets more comments from random people than the other two put together
'95 Montero SR. Pretty much stock, Trail Gear Sliders, ADD skid plates, Stereo by Shovel, Timing maintenance by Pa_Jero

IncorpoRatedX

• Not really the
  • Administrator
  • I'm big in Japan.
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 08:02:26 PM »
I'm down, you'll find me under the hood. I'm trying to force myself into a ratio of wrenching and wheeling that goes like this; for every 3 weekends I wrench, I get to go wheeling one weekend. This will continue until all AZ crew trucks are on the trail.

We've been blessed and cursed to live in a land where monteros grow on trees, ideas flow like beer (or because of beer), resources are plenty and yet... our free time is short.

BottomFeeder

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 11:18:57 PM »
I have an alternator for a 89 Starion
1990 LS, 2" Body Lift, 33's, Dual LSD
1995 SR, 1.5 Body Lift, 33's
1999 Winter Package

PajEvo

• "The Canadian"
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2018, 12:19:24 PM »
I both love and hate these threads. Love the comeraderie. Live the builds. Love the innovation, even if it's from 1989. But I hate the fact that I'm way to far away to pop over.

Keep the momentum going JBFP!