Author Topic: Gen3 coils - anyone have factory take offs sitting around?  (Read 458 times)

PajEvo

• Global Moderator
  • "The Canadian"
    • View Profile
    • JDM Journeys
Gen3 coils - anyone have factory take offs sitting around?
« on: February 24, 2018, 02:53:26 PM »
As some know here, I have a third gen shorty coming on a boat from Japan. I got to wondering about its factory suspension? Some quick cross-referencing showed it shares it's front and rear shocks with the LWB, but the coils are different, as I suspected. What I'm wondering is if I can take advantage of this?

Back in the year 1999, I got the hair-brained idea to buy a set of rear coil springs off a guy who'd upgraded his gen2s to heavy duty units, and swapped them into my gen1 shorty. This gave me variable coils and about an inch of rear lift. Nowadays, this is a pretty common upgrade for gen1's, but because the gen3 shorty is so uncommon, I've never heard of it as an option for lift.

So... does anyone have a set of springs uninstalled from their long wheelbase Montero that they'd not mind measuring for me? My wife's gen 3 has them of course, and I could get the spring thickness, and the loaded height, but I'm also interested in the unladen height. If LWB coils are higher than SWB coils then I may be able to buy some springs off someone here and retain the factory manners, while gaining a little more room under the skids?

For reference, the OEM coils in a V68 shorty are Front/Rear MR510429/ MR418678.
The coils from the V78 series four door rig are Front/Rear MR 519569/ MR418676.

Cheers
Phil
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 03:08:49 PM by PajEvo »

haolepinoy

• My Montero Hates Me
    • View Profile
Re: Gen3 coils - anyone have factory take offs sitting around?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 04:47:27 PM »
I just pulled mine today, actually.

Theyíre just shy of 14Ē tall unladen.

Iíll have both off in the near future if Virginia isnít too far to ship from for you.

Cheers.
'03 Montero Limited - being repaired slightly faster than it's falling apart (debatable)

Middle-earth by Montero

My Friend's Super Epic Build Thread

PajEvo

• Global Moderator
  • "The Canadian"
    • View Profile
    • JDM Journeys
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 06:16:26 PM »
I just pulled mine today, actually.

Theyíre just shy of 14Ē tall unladen.

Iíll have both off in the near future if Virginia isnít too far to ship from for you.

Cheers.

Is that the rears? Are you doing front and back or just back? Thanks for the measurement! I'll have to see how that stacks up against my shorty coils when I get it.

Cheers!
Phil

haolepinoy

• My Montero Hates Me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 07:33:48 PM »
Yes, thatís the rear.

Iím doing all four corners...one at a time.
'03 Montero Limited - being repaired slightly faster than it's falling apart (debatable)

Middle-earth by Montero

My Friend's Super Epic Build Thread