Author Topic: Not-The-Overland-Expo camp- Coconino NF Arizona - May 18-20, 2018  (Read 8959 times)

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Stuff page updated regularly!
Time to get this beeotch on the calendars, y'all! 

Coconino Forest,  located in Arizona.   

Personally I'm going to be camping at that same spot where the AZ Crew camped last year,  arriving some time Friday and departing Sunday.     I'm expecting that a few of the AZ Crew guys are going to camp in the same clearing too and as they usually do there's going to be sharing of food and libations.     

AZ Crew gets pretty rowdy sometimes and the bullshit sessions get deep so anyone else who wants to camp in the area should plan to either be part of the mayhem or if you want to get a good night's sleep or keep your kids from hearing things they might not be ready for..  plan your camp a short distance away so you can retreat after the sun goes down and the bullshit ramps up.     

I'm not hosting any sort of camp,  this is dispersed camping on forest land.  There is no event and no business is taking place.   I'm not merely saying that to "stay legal" or whatever, there really is no event and there really is no business taking place.     Just posting this so that friends who want to camp together can do so and the AZ Crew can unwind together in the forest.   

Since there's the Overland Expo happening nearby a lot of our friends like to attend that, and camp in the forest nearby to avoid paying the onsite camp fees and avoid the onsite camp "business" - so even though I'm not going to the Expo this is still a cool time to go camping and see those friends whom I haven't seen since last year.   

Shazam!

« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 09:34:42 AM by Shovel »

IncorpoRatedX

• Not really the
  • Administrator
  • I'm big in Japan.
    • View Profile
    • Adventure Driven Design
Re: Coincidental Coconino Camp Coterie - May 18-20, 2018
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 09:45:41 AM »
I'll be there.

PA_JERO

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 08:45:51 PM »
Is this the camp for expo weekend?

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 09:45:19 PM »
It does happen the same weekend and in the same forest!  😁

DONT_TREAD

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 06:15:32 PM »
I'm not missing this one for anything lol
think for yourself, question authority

DR1665

• Global Moderator
  • the agile gearhead
    • View Profile
    • work life parallel
Re: Not-The-Overland-Expo camp- Coconino NF Arizona - May 18-20, 2018
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 12:54:34 PM »
I'm in.

Definitely want to spend some quality time at OXW though. Easily a DOZEN people there I need to catch up with in person.

PS: I still really appreciate the crew walking up and chatting at the Adventurist Life booth a couple years back. Proud to be associated with y'all.
The Driggins | 98 Pajero | 11 Juke
(Previously: 89 Pajero 2.6, 92 GVR4, 91 GVR4, 97 Talon)

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2018, 09:45:02 AM »
Even though we're dispersed camping,  one advantage of camping near each other is if you're going to the expo by day you can leave your campsite set up since there are going to be a couple people at least who are visiting the forest and not going to the show.       Not saying you get free private security guards or anything but historically services like retrieving wind-blown chairs and keeping camp occupied to avoid the appearance of abandonment,  creepin' creepers, etc are parcel to the whole not-going-to-expo thing. 

DR1665

• Global Moderator
  • the agile gearhead
    • View Profile
    • work life parallel
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2018, 12:42:23 PM »
It would be helpful to know where those interested in non-business, purely coincidental, dispersed camping where they may or may not encounter other Montero owners they've not seen in a year might be located in this general area, on or around OXW.

I will be going to OXW at some point (Saturday, most likely) and am cool with cruising the midway or whatever with the Crew, but also need to spend some time catching up with industry connections in a journalistic capacity.

Back at camp, I am down for mild, middle-aged shenanigans. Haha. I like to drink and smoke and have a good time, but I'll likely be crawling back into Fezzik around midnight in search of sleep. When I do go camping, I prefer setting up near those who share my feeble, aged ways.

Not that we're organizing any kind of event or camp, here. This is all purely hypothetical.
The Driggins | 98 Pajero | 11 Juke
(Previously: 89 Pajero 2.6, 92 GVR4, 91 GVR4, 97 Talon)

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2018, 01:38:55 PM »
It would be helpful to know where

I left that part out because every time I try to find the exact spot on a map my eyes go blurry and I can't decide if I think it's "there" or "there"  or "over there"    -  so I was slyly hoping that somebody else would do the job for me  ;D

I think it might be at this spot.  but it might also be somewhere else along there.       Sometimes driving around trying to find everyone is fun too.      It's definitely around there and usually instinct or determination guides folks to the magic. 

PA_JERO

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2018, 04:28:38 PM »
Chte aaaah! The usual spot. I have a map or recorded tracks I can send to people I think. I'll habe to check.

tyty13

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2018, 04:24:25 PM »
I'm interested  if you guys have room us . Coming from socal .

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2018, 04:39:13 PM »
I'm interested  if you guys have room us . Coming from socal .

There's a ton of dispersed camping in the area along 236A within easy stumbling distance - the forest itself typically hosts several hundred individual camps during that weekend,   I just posted this thread up so folks with similar interests can wind up camped near each other and enjoy chatter around the same campfires.     Don't worry that the forest will run out of room - this spot is far enough back that getting there tends to be a deliberate act   :)

IncorpoRatedX

• Not really the
  • Administrator
  • I'm big in Japan.
    • View Profile
    • Adventure Driven Design
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2018, 08:57:53 AM »
We'll post up a map of where we'll be. it's easy to get to, further back than most go and like shovel says, lots of places to camp all around and in the same area we're in.

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2018, 05:19:07 PM »
We gonna wheel it up there??

TOASTY

• Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2018, 06:48:40 AM »
Start in Jerome, go to Perkinsville then make our way into the mountains? Or start at lake pleasant and dirt drive that whole stretch.