Author Topic: Not-The-Overland-Expo camp- Coconino NF Arizona - May 18-20, 2018  (Read 8342 times)

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Stuff page updated regularly!
Re: Not-The-Overland-Expo camp- Coconino NF Arizona - May 18-20, 2018
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2018, 08:58:09 AM »
There is currently a "stage 1" restriction which in summary means we can't have a fire (even an elevated one, even a charcoal grill) at that site unless it rains good and hard between now and the 18th.      Gas stoves exclusively.      (Worth mentioning that these restrictions bear a mandatory federal court appearance and punishable with a fine of $5k or 6 months in prison.. )

Going forward this seems to be reality more and more,  which is weird for folks who have spent decades inseparably including fires with camping.    Sitting around the.. uhh..   what do you sit around?    Maybe we need a stripper pole to sit around,   or one of those TV-VCR combinations with a VHS tape that plays a 2 hour recording of a crackling fireplace and you have to rewind it.    Or one of those naked ladies covered in sushi except instead of a lady it's just an old pile of sweaters from Goodwill.    We'll figure something out. 

TOASTY

• Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2018, 12:05:53 PM »
I can bring a movie projector, screen, amp and Eric's custom camping speakers if someone wrangles a generator. We can watch Hot Rod or at least let the chitlin watch something while we warm our hands on some beers.

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2018, 02:09:27 PM »
I had a thought maybe we could work on a clandestine civil engineering project instead of tending fire,  like build a hogan or a windbreak or stonehenge,  or wooden RTI ramps or an AMERICAN GLADIATORS NIGHTMARE BATTLE PIT Q-TIP ARENA OF DEATH AND MAYHEM.   

Maybe we'll luck out and they'll lift the fire restriction too.     I've been thinking about making up a DIY  version of those smokeless fire pits.. 
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 02:12:08 PM by Shovel »

TOASTY

• Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2018, 04:04:08 PM »
 Years past we have built cabins, bridges and other structures. Unfortunately you need a permit for that, I think as long as said structures get turned into neatly stacked firewood we're cool.

JohnnyBfromPeoria

• I'm Getting Around To It
  • Global Moderator
  • Get Off My Lawn! Or gravel, or whatever it is!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2018, 07:22:29 PM »
Let's just set up ramps and jump our trucks.

A generator sounds cool and all, but considering we're going to be up around 7K elevation, there's re-jetting involved just to make them run correctly and that's a pain unless you can source those parts beforehand and have the necessary skillz and tools. Inverters work better for the task, along with a linked-in car stereo for this purpose. Then one dedicated vehicle can sit off by its lonesome and idle its fumes downwind with a super-duty extension cord (I have) supplying the camp-stravaganza. We just need the inverter - who gots?

Heck, all I need is a charged cell phone so Mark(Stroker Explosion/D.J. Dookie) and I can pull up our lyrics, and beer. We got this.

The previous posts described how 'family types' might want to camp a bit away from us. Unless we figure out how to amplify ourselves, in which case, you might want to stay a bit +1 further away. We have a couple of year's worth of material to work on. Don't say you weren't warned.

This thread will be updated, no doubt, but there are a few basic themes that have to take place, per tradition: Lordtrunks must drink booze. Shovel will be mysterious and have gadgets, sometimes of questionable worth. New guests will filter in and out and new bonds will be formed. Someone will drive a vehicle into the camp that has NO business driving on that trail, and that vehicle may never drive straight down the road again. There may be chainsaw carvings your parents would not be proud to display a picture of. ClayTK may pose with them.

And there would be none of the above if all of us do not show up. So DO IT!

John B.
AZ Crew/East Sider/Former 14th St Crew
95 SR, 35x12.5-15 on 8" steelies, 2" BL, stuff cut off, stuff welded on, lights, sound, front ARB pending
87 Raider, There's a turbo 2.6 under its hood, really
83 "Dodge" Power Ram 50, a bit lifted, way slow and gets more comments from random people than the other two put together
'95 Montero SR. Pretty much stock, Trail Gear Sliders, ADD skid plates, Stereo by Shovel, Timing maintenance by Pa_Jero

TOASTY

• Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2018, 08:38:46 PM »
 Shovel, you have a portable DC amp or should i rig up a car stereo again?

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2018, 01:15:37 PM »
I can bring a large-ish amp.

TOASTY

• Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2018, 03:41:41 PM »
 I'll bring the speaky speaks, cables, projector and screen. I'll work on wrangling up a DVD player or computer, this is getting legit.

JohnnyBfromPeoria

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2018, 08:50:39 PM »
I've already communicated this to Toasty, but for the rest of the folks, I've procured a whopper of an inverter, supposedly capable of sustained 2000 watts, but being that it's from Harbor Freight, let's cut that by half. I got some 2 gauge connection cables to link it to a car battery's terminals. I also have a 100' 10 gauge power cord to bring the AC 'home' so the vehicle's battery and engine that will take the load can sit well away from us, downwind. So, there's that. No generator hassle needed.

John B.
95 SR, 35x12.5-15 on 8" steelies, 2" BL, stuff cut off, stuff welded on, lights, sound, front ARB pending
83 "Dodge" Power Ram 50, a bit lifted, way slow and gets more comments from random people than the other two put together
'95 Montero SR. Pretty much stock, Trail Gear Sliders, ADD skid plates, Stereo by Shovel, Timing maintenance by Pa_Jero

JohnnyBfromPeoria

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2018, 05:24:47 AM »
Keep in mind, it's often windy up there, as in quite windy. Not sure how a projector screen will handle that. But as long as you're aware it might be an issue, you can prepare for it, I suppose.

John B.

freewayross

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2018, 04:30:05 PM »
I have 1100 watt inverter, got it from goodwill have only tested it with phone charger so far and looks like it is working. I can bring that along if you'll want. Also I'll be driving an empty van, if any one wants to haul something that doesn't fit. I'm in Queen Creek.

Avi

DR1665

• Global Moderator
  • the agile gearhead
    • View Profile
    • work life parallel
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2018, 06:59:23 PM »
Ladies and gentlemen, have we arrived at a destination with any degree of confidence yet? I have two TJ buddies joining us, but as I just burned my PTO on a sick 5-year old, I can't leave until after work Friday. I'd like to make sure the fam can find everyone, if not roll up with.

Also, anyone licensed to get on RimLink so we have end-to-end comms beyond cell range? Unless there's 4g up there these days...

Thanks.
The Driggins | 98 Pajero | 11 Juke
(Previously: 89 Pajero 2.6, 92 GVR4, 91 GVR4, 97 Talon)

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2018, 07:28:04 PM »
Ladies and gentlemen, have we arrived at a destination with any degree of confidence yet?

It's been linked four times in this thread so far.   ;D

PA_JERO

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2018, 09:28:16 PM »
I leave Friday after work as well, I honestly won't be on the road until some time after 5pm possibly.

JohnnyBfromPeoria

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2018, 05:46:41 AM »
Yeah, I have to work Friday as well.

John B.