Author Topic: Not-The-Overland-Expo camp- Coconino NF Arizona - May 18-20, 2018  (Read 7312 times)

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Stuff page updated regularly!
Re: Not-The-Overland-Expo camp- Coconino NF Arizona - May 18-20, 2018
« Reply #90 on: May 16, 2018, 10:53:21 PM »
Hi guys, is there a meeting point for Friday before everyone heads that way? Also a very embarrassing question, this being my first time camping in a non commercial setup .... what essentials one needs to have for camping in open. What do you'll do for restroom and stuff?

-Avi

I don't think there is a caravan traveling up to camp, people will go at their own pace.  Depending which camp you are joining the map links above make route finding pretty easy.

To answer the second part, typically a small shovel is a good idea - walk some distance away from camp, find a bush for privacy, dig a small hole and leave your business and tissue in it, cover it with plenty of dirt.    It is unlikely anyone would be wandering around and interrupt.

Other than toilet essentials you will want sufficient water for brusing teeth,  baby wipes are good for cleaning your face and body since there is no running water.  Some people get camp showers for this purpose and they are nice but sometimes it is too easy to go overboard on accessories.

You will definitely not want to forget seating, the ground is not much fun to sit on.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 10:59:13 PM by Shovel »

TOASTY

• Administrator
  • Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 17, 2018, 07:44:01 AM »
It may get into the low 40's at night so bring something warm to wear and sleep in. It'll be hot during the day, bring food and plenty of water.

freewayross

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 17, 2018, 09:10:16 AM »
Hi guys, is there a meeting point for Friday before everyone heads that way? Also a very embarrassing question, this being my first time camping in a non commercial setup .... what essentials one needs to have for camping in open. What do you'll do for restroom and stuff?

-Avi

I don't think there is a caravan traveling up to camp, people will go at their own pace.

Slight correction, there will be a Van  ;D

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Stuff page updated regularly!
« Reply #93 on: May 17, 2018, 09:17:40 AM »
Please add diabeetus seat covers to that thing?

Liberty Medical needs the BLING

JohnnyBfromPeoria

• I'm Getting Around To It
  • Global Moderator
  • Get Off My Lawn! Or gravel, or whatever it is!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 17, 2018, 09:36:17 PM »
Is that the McCluggage Bridge in Peoria, IL? Oh man, you know how to hit it out of the park!

Avi, get there!

Brian, show that Fezzik TWO SCOOPS!

John B.
AZ Crew/East Sider/Former 14th St Crew
95 SR, 2 sets of tires rotting in the sun, 2" BL, stuff cut off, stuff welded on, lights, sound, no action
87 Raider, There's a turbo 2.6 under its hood, really
83 "Dodge" Power Ram 50, a bit lifted, way slow and gets more comments from random people than the other two put together
'95 Montero SR. Pretty much stock, Trail Gear Sliders, ADD skid plates, Stereo by Shovel, Timing maintenance by Pa_Jero

DR1665

• Administrator
  • the agile gearhead
    • View Profile
    • work life parallel
« Reply #95 on: May 18, 2018, 09:11:57 AM »
Brian, show that Fezzik TWO SCOOPS!

Josh and I were talking last weekend. They say "You never go full Pajero," but WE'RE GOING FULL PAJERO.

Chef, Angie, and I will be joining the Crater Crew at Camp Quarry tonight. Plan is to hit OXW after breakfast and spend the day. We've got invites to a VIP party tomorrow night (rubbing elbows with the Expedition Overland folks, etc.), but Chef is making Pho for dinner, so might bail out on that to chill with our own crew.

Hope to see the Ill Eagle campers!
The Driggins | 98 Pajero | 11 Juke
(Previously: 89 Pajero 2.6, 92 GVR4, 91 GVR4, 97 Talon)

JohnnyBfromPeoria

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 21, 2018, 10:38:35 PM »
What? No reports from the other camp? What's the matter Colonel Sanders? Chicken?

John B.
95 SR, 2 sets of tires rotting in the sun, 2" BL, stuff cut off, stuff welded on, lights, sound, no action
83 "Dodge" Power Ram 50, a bit lifted, way slow and gets more comments from random people than the other two put together
'95 Montero SR. Pretty much stock, Trail Gear Sliders, ADD skid plates, Stereo by Shovel, Timing maintenance by Pa_Jero

PA_JERO

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 22, 2018, 06:54:59 AM »
I've never been the type to give trip reports or divulge to much information. I will try though.

We set sail on our adventures Friday, some left earlier than others. Good times where had. Sunday came quick as we road off into the sunset through our maiden voyage home.

The End!

That was exhausting.

JohnnyBfromPeoria

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 22, 2018, 11:26:52 PM »
At CraterCamp, it didn't take long for me to realize that if I had gone to the Ill-Eagle site, all my plans would have been dashed - by a simple extension cord. The entire time I've had my 100', 10 gauge cord, I'd forgotten where it was plugged in at my house, and didn't pay any attention to it when I unplugged it to take it along on the journey. It was only when I hauled it out for Shovel to use that he pointed out the male end had to be used in a 20-amp outlet, meaning one of the normally vertical terminals is horizontal, and therefore it wouldn't have worked in my inverter anyway. I'd brought along a normal 12-gauge, 25 foot cord we used instead, because we didn't even need that much in our set-up.

Just a piece of trivial info, but one that would have ruined my plans for the disco ball/light show/projector screen/thunderous microphone set I had envisioned.

So there's that.

Did LordTrunks make it?

John B.

PA_JERO

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 23, 2018, 06:34:56 AM »
Lordtrunks did make it. That was an epic story, one for the books, really. It did however get cut short with a break down, broken rocker arms.

JohnnyBfromPeoria

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 24, 2018, 09:29:57 PM »
HTF do you break rocker arms, I say.

John B.

MudRaider

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 20, 2018, 07:31:30 PM »
I keep hoping for pictures.