Author Topic: Getting knuckle back on  (Read 729 times)

magoh

• View Profile
Getting knuckle back on
« on: February 28, 2018, 10:27:54 PM »
I re-booted my driver's side CV boots and while I was at it I replaced some other front end parts.  Now that I'm putting it all back together, I can't seem to lift the lower control arm up high enough before it starts lifting the truck.  I'm guessing I need to loosen the torsion bar or something like that but thought I'd ask the experts here first. Any hints?

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Stuff page updated regularly!
Re: Getting knuckle back on
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 10:35:26 PM »
Loosening your torsion bar is probably going to be the easiest way to get that back together!     Unless the adjuster bolt is badly rusted.

Moving your jack out to directly under the lower ball joint can give you a little more leverage before the truck starts lifting,  if you can't loosen the torsion bar.

jaccox

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 07:01:46 AM »
Put the knuckle back onto the lower balljoint and go ahead and put the tie rod back on then place the jack and piece of wood directly under the lower balljoint. You should then be able to fish the upper balljoint through the knuckle enough to get it threaded. That's what has worked for me personally but letting tension of the Torsion bars would work just the same just be sure to count turns out to know exactly where to put it back to
1999 Montero. 33x10.5x15 General X3's. 4.90's w/rear locker. Full armor. ADD idler arm. ADD 1.5" complete lift. Siberiean Bushings everywhere. 150W alternator with upgraded 4 AWG leads and grounds. 2nd Battery in the rear for camping stuffs to come.

TOASTY

• Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 12:10:12 PM »
I think that I put the CV in and the lower balljoint in the knuckle, then with the castle nut hand tight jack the lower (with something to not damage the balljoint threads) up to upper while keeping the alignment of the CV and upper knuckle to upper balljoint.

...MAYBE

magoh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2018, 09:42:55 PM »
Thanks for all the replies. I ended up loosening the torsion bar but as I was lifting the LCA the shock decided to dump it's oil  :-\ Guess I'll see if it's under warranty, just put these on a little less than 2 years ago. Although... Can I use the ADD Bilstein 5100s without a lift?

TOASTY

• Nonsense, Poopy Pants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2018, 08:47:31 AM »
Yes. All the fronts are the same and we have stock length rears.