Author Topic: Montero with 33s towing 4k pounds?  (Read 3473 times)

Montero_Guy

• I'm new here!
Montero with 33s towing 4k pounds?
« on: March 01, 2018, 08:01:32 PM »
Alright so as the title suggests I have a 1995 montero sr with the 4.63 gears and 305/70r17 tires (33.8inches) and I'm wondering what the estimated towing capacity would be with the larger tires. Sometime this summer I will need(maybe not) to tow a 1986 Toyota pickup to Washington from San Diego. So I'm thinking that the truck probably weights around 2500# probably less, and the trailer around 1500#. The trailer would definitely need to have brakes. I would go slow, and just cruise. Do you guys think I would be okay towing roughly 4000#? 

Montero_Guy

• I'm new here!
Re: Montero with 33s towing 4k pounds?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 09:00:14 PM »
Thats the problem haha, the toyota doesnt run. I figured since Im rated to tow 5k, I should be able to pull 4k so long as the trailer brakes are doing their job. I have towed a 2k pound boat up the grapevine without so much as a hiccup. I remember reading somewhere that a guy towed his montero with another montero a few hundred miles. Just the montero alone weights more than my entire load, but better safe than sorry. Thanks for the response.

Just found the thread
 http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/115437-Towing-What-s-the-heaviest-thing-you-ve-pulled-Have-you-exceeded-max-towing-cap

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 07:08:13 AM »
As long as your truck is in excellent shape and you're very aware of what you're doing, it should be fine.  That said, i think you're underestimating the weight of the Toyota truck, and the weight of a braked open deck trailer.

What i'm planning to tow is around 4k pounds.  That's an 18' open deck trailer and a 2000lb gutted race car Miata.
1998 Montero Winter Package (For Sale)
1994 FZJ80 Land Cruiser (Wife's)
2006 V8 4Runner Sport Edition (Mine)

Montero_Guy

• I'm new here!
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018, 09:07:15 AM »
Im definitely going to go through the truck and make sure nothing is wrong. Im most likely going to add another trans cooler. I may be able to get a suburban to tow it, but if the monty could do it that would help a lot. Are you planning on towing it with your montero?

that_guy_eric

• I'm new here!
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2018, 09:19:57 AM »
Ugh, threads like this make me cringe when people ask how unsafe they can be but stay "legal", usually when they post a question about towing they have little to no prior experience with towing and definitely shouldn't try towing at the limit for their first experience. I would reach out to your friends and ask if you can borrow a truck and not worry as much about having your rig impounded, hurting your rig, or even killing someone. If you have absolutely have no other options (not likely if you really try) then at least throw some stock size tires on there so your engine/trans/brakes are not being worked so hard. Sorry if I sound a bit harsh, but I grew up around trailers and have towed a lot including across the country, I have seen the end result of others not towing safely and a dead child is something you never forget. So please tow correctly and keep others safe.

concealer404

• OH U MAF?
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2018, 09:39:06 AM »
Im definitely going to go through the truck and make sure nothing is wrong. Im most likely going to add another trans cooler. I may be able to get a suburban to tow it, but if the monty could do it that would help a lot. Are you planning on towing it with your montero?

I am planning on towing it with the Montero.  No room in the fleet for a double cab extended bed F350 dually to tow a 2000lb car with.

Truck in tip top condition, geared appropriately, trailer in tip top condition, a good brake controller, and a brain will see you through.

A late Gen3 makes a MUCH better tow rig (it's actually downright GOOD), but as long as i'm not planning on towing more than a couple thousand miles a year, i'm not buying a dedicated rig.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not going to RECOMMEND that anyone get near the tow cap on one of these things, i think there's much better options for similar money for towing specifically.  But as a jack of all trades that can handle a couple pulls a year, it's fine.
1998 Montero Winter Package (For Sale)
1994 FZJ80 Land Cruiser (Wife's)
2006 V8 4Runner Sport Edition (Mine)

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2018, 10:20:09 AM »
I googled 1986 Toyota pickup weight and this was the first result: https://jalopnik.com/the-1986-toyota-truck-and-2016-toyota-tacoma-compared-s-1710386683

So it says 2800lb

The Uhaul braked flatbed I used to tow my Montero out from California was 2210lb according to their documentation.    So if your trailer is like theirs,  that would make your total weight more than 5000lbs.   

If you're looking for advice, the advice you'll get is don't do it.    I know that's not what you want to hear and you're going to do what you want to do regardless,  so..  good luck and be patient please.   :)

IncorpoRatedX

• Not really the
  • Administrator
  • I'm big in Japan.
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2018, 10:50:27 AM »
Alright so as the title suggests I have a 1995 montero sr with the 4.63 gears and 305/70r17 tires (33.8inches) and I'm wondering what the estimated towing capacity would be with the larger tires. Sometime this summer I will need(maybe not) to tow a 1986 Toyota pickup to Washington from San Diego. So I'm thinking that the truck probably weights around 2500# probably less, and the trailer around 1500#. The trailer would definitely need to have brakes. I would go slow, and just cruise. Do you guys think I would be okay towing roughly 4000#?

step it down to a 30" tire, go through your brakes and be damn sure the trailer brakes are working. Engine is  quad cam, right? Make sure it's got fresh plugs and wires, and then my only concern is; have you towed before? and if so, have you towed down any 7% grades? it requires a lot of attention.

Beyond that, I wonder what your route is, if im not mistaken in cali you're limited to 55mph no matter what highway you take, once you've got a trailer, that limits your speed, but people dont care and they're going to stress you out on those roads. Once into oregon I think everything will change, ive driven i5 and it wouldnt be bad for most of it, but the montero would be working hard with the 33's, they're at the very edge of where it would need to be to keep the truck in the prime shift points with your gearing. bringing the tires down will push the rpm up into the powerband, keep an eye on the fluids, make the that trans has fresh fluid and bring some with you...

Shovel

• Administrator
  • POTATO
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2018, 12:29:42 PM »
The California 55mph thing with a trailer is true,  and it's enforced particularly if you have out of state plates because they know you won't waste the court's time trying to fight it.          Coming North from SD there's the grapevine,  which is both hot and a very long downhill area that'll even heat up your transmission on the way down from using it for engine braking.   If your trailer has surge brakes you could really cook the ass out of them because they'll be on 100% of the time so it will be important to go slowly (really slowly) and combine service braking with engine braking to share the load among all avenues of losing speed.

From there North the most difficult section is like from Medford to Green,   Grant's Pass area,  there are a couple extended up hill and down hill sections and if it's wet the need to watch speed on the down hill is greater. 

Another option is to take the coast highway up,   it's  slow AF but that's kinda the point.  It's slow AF!    You'll be stuck behind somebody going 18mph in his rented CRUISE AMERICA RV, probably stoned off his knob..    all you have to do is go slower than him so the million corners don't catch up to you but at least there's almost no elevation change.           Note that you can't take the coast up between SLO and Monterey because the coast highway still hasn't been repaired as far as I know. 

Montero_Guy

• I'm new here!
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2018, 04:56:29 PM »
Ugh, threads like this make me cringe when people ask how unsafe they can be but stay "legal", usually when they post a question about towing they have little to no prior experience with towing and definitely shouldn't try towing at the limit for their first experience. I would reach out to your friends and ask if you can borrow a truck and not worry as much about having your rig impounded, hurting your rig, or even killing someone. If you have absolutely have no other options (not likely if you really try) then at least throw some stock size tires on there so your engine/trans/brakes are not being worked so hard. Sorry if I sound a bit harsh, but I grew up around trailers and have towed a lot including across the country, I have seen the end result of others not towing safely and a dead child is something you never forget. So please tow correctly and keep others safe.

I have towed a 2000lb boat with the montero up passed Sacramento, and all around San Diego, but never anything super heavy with it. I have also towed a loaded horse trailer a couple of times with a yukon, but of course thats a V8 with actual torque . I understand your just looking out for myself and others. I'm pretty familiar with towing, but I'm not a fan of going TOO heavy.

Montero_Guy

• I'm new here!
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2018, 04:58:35 PM »

I am planning on towing it with the Montero.  No room in the fleet for a double cab extended bed F350 dually to tow a 2000lb car with.

Truck in tip top condition, geared appropriately, trailer in tip top condition, a good brake controller, and a brain will see you through.

A late Gen3 makes a MUCH better tow rig (it's actually downright GOOD), but as long as i'm not planning on towing more than a couple thousand miles a year, i'm not buying a dedicated rig.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not going to RECOMMEND that anyone get near the tow cap on one of these things, i think there's much better options for similar money for towing specifically.  But as a jack of all trades that can handle a couple pulls a year, it's fine.
This is definitely going to be a one time thing, I just dont want to be doomed from the start.