Author Topic: Having a hell of a time with this throttle linkage.  (Read 1655 times)

MontyPtn

• Wobbly Drive-Shafts!
Having a hell of a time with this throttle linkage.
« on: March 05, 2018, 10:51:06 AM »
Hey guys, I come to the forum after scratching my head for a good long while yesterday. Now this may just be a symptom of my ineptitude/ inexperience wrenching and I will admit it freely.

But I cannot figure out how I am supposed to attach my throttle cable to the throttle plate on my new Weber carb. I've gone over the instructions endlessly as well as doing research on many of the older forums and other non-Montero Mitsu forums and can't seem to get it straight in my head. To me I appear to be missing the little throttle cable retention plate on the new Weber, that is present on the old worn out Mikuni. Now I thought of adapting the Mikuni retention plate but the Weber is oriented differently and I do not believe it will work. Do any of you have any guidance?

Throttle cable and new Weber plate

While I have your ears I also cannot find a way to adequately secure the throttle cable itself to the valve cover, I used the included hardware in the manner instructed and now there is a lot of play in the cable.

I feel like I am missing parts of the conversion kit or that I am missing something terribly obvious, either way I will be tremendously grateful for any ideas.

Anyways, here is a pic of the bucket I am now happily calling my own

'87 2.6L SWB (Red & Rusty)

MontyPtn

• Wobbly Drive-Shafts!
Re: Having a hell of a time with this throttle linkage.
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 09:45:20 PM »
Throttle plate is on the front facing the radiator.  :-[

I am going to try and flip that bar on the valve cover around and see if I can get the throttle cable mounted to it, a little further away from throttle plate, as it currently has too much slack.
If that does not work then I will try and fab something simple up with some sheet metal.

As for attaching the linkage to the throttle plate on the carb, I believe they somehow forgot to include the hardware. I wanted to adapt the throttle plate from the Mikuni but as I said above it is oriented incorrectly for a front facing carb. Going to go to a muscle car shop near me and see what they have for throttle linkages. Probably won't get around to it until this weekend. I will update with whatever I end up doing and if I successfully get it mounted I will include pictures so they're of use to someone else. ;)

RyanY

• I'm new here!
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 05:19:14 PM »
I'm not specifically familiar with the Weber conversion kit for the G54B, but I've played with a number of 32/36 DGV Webers over the years - there is most definitely something missing that will allow you to connect your throttle cable to the bellcrank on the throttle shaft. I'd get in touch with whomever sold you the kit and find out what part is missing.

MontyPtn

• Wobbly Drive-Shafts!
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 10:44:28 AM »
Hey Ryan, thanks for the input. I did get in touch with the vendor and they sent me a different set of instructions that showed a different mounting configuration that I am going to try this weekend.
I found a throttle linkage kit at O'Reilly's that I am going to use to attach the cable to the plate on the carb, but am still at a loss on getting the cable itself mounted/retained on the valve cover. Might just buy a piece of sheet metal at Lowes/HD and make a custom plate while the vendor ships the proper parts to me.

I will do what I can this weekend and upload pics of whatever I end up with.

CharlieN

• Collector of Mitsubishi vehicles dating back to 71
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2018, 01:11:45 PM »
For one the flat bowl should be to the front,this will greatly affect driveability.
Most of the time you can rework the original cable system from the stock carb which depending on your abilities works the best.
Regards, Charlie N

MontyPtn

• Wobbly Drive-Shafts!
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2018, 10:57:40 AM »
Alright guys. I got the throttle cable attached and the carb fully installed and now she fires up on the first go every single time! So glad to have that done with!

It can likely use a bit more fine tuning but for now it runs much better and actually idles!

The first difference was flipping the orientation of that dog-leg shaped part on the valve cover. The instructions say to mount it the way shown above, but if you flip it around you get a much better distance from the carb and solid retention.

Here is what I ended up using to attach the throttle cable.