Author Topic: cranks no start negative battery terminal getting hot  (Read 1040 times)

B-P

• I'm new here!
cranks no start negative battery terminal getting hot
« on: March 10, 2018, 09:25:34 PM »
My daughter's 1996 3.0 just died going down the road. Restarted a couple of times and died within 30 seconds. Swapped cam angle sensor, (the crank sensor was replaced last year with the timing belt). Swapped the power transistor from another Montero and also replaced the fuel pump. Going to check the ground cables and starter connections tomorrow. What am I missing?

jaccox

Re: cranks no start negative battery terminal getting hot
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 03:47:03 AM »
Since it's a '96 you can read codes. Did it have a check engine light before the sudden stall? I'd start with checking connectors and looking for broken wires somewhere. Clean the battery terminals while at it too. You would be able to see metal shavings from a boogered cam or crank sensor since they are a magnet and will catch the shavings. Possibly the crank sensor you put on failed? Was it OEM or just a parts store replacement?
1999 Montero. 33x10.5x15 General X3's. 4.90's w/rear locker. Full armor. ADD idler arm. ADD 1.5" complete lift. Siberiean Bushings everywhere. 150W alternator with upgraded 4 AWG leads and grounds. 2nd Battery in the rear for camping stuffs to come.

B-P

• I'm new here!
Re: cranks no start negative battery terminal getting hot
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 09:44:26 AM »
I do. plugged in and read codes after it "hiccuped":
P0100 Mass Air Flow Sensor Circuit A
P0135 O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Bank 1 Sensor 1
P0110 Intake Air Temperature Sensor 1 Circuit Bank 1
P0105 Manifold Absolute Pressure / Barometric Pressure Sensor Circuit.

Cleaning battery terminals and chasing grounds now.
OEM crank sensor about 10k ago.